xisto Community
Adell

High Smtp? What the heck is this?

Well, I find out that Xisto - Web Hosting has been banning my members IP addresses so that they couldn't even access my site. So how the heck do we keep up the activity? So I ask them politely and professionally why they keep banning my members. This is their reply:

Thank you for contacting Xisto - Web Hosting.com. I have unblocked this IP address(aa.bb.cc.dd). This IP was banned due to High SMTP connection and this IP was creating load on our server.
I request you Please inform your members not to access multiple SMTP connection because it is creating load on our server. Otherwise we will be forced to ban your IP.

Feel free to update this ticket if you have any further questions or queries regarding this issue.
Thank you for your time and patience.

Regards,

Nik
Support Executive
Xisto - Web Hosting.com

So, what IS high SMTP and multiple SMTP connections because it is being a very huge inconvenience?

Well, I find out that Xisto - Web Hosting has been banning my members IP addresses so that they couldn't even access my site. So how the heck do we keep up the activity? So I ask them politely and professionally why they keep banning my members. This is their reply:

So, what IS high SMTP and multiple SMTP connections because it is being a very huge inconvenience?

SMTP is for sending e-mail, so it sounds like they're accusing your member of using their server to a bunch of bulk spam e-mails ? If it's creating a load on their server, someone must be sending _a lot_ of e-mails, . Perhaps one of your members has a virus that's using Xisto - Web Hosting's SMTP server to send out a bunch of bulk mail? I've seen it before. Maybe your member has a grudge against someone and is using his e-mail account and a "hacker" tool flood someone's e-mail with garbage...

Did you even give your members e-mail accounts on your site ?

It can be a sign that your webpages are being used to spam using a hole on your programming. The webpage in question is also capable to send sms maybe via a contact form or a forgot password script. It will help a lot if you are going to check all pages that can send an email for such issues. Just 2 weeks ago, I was able to send multiple emails from one website due to his poor contact script programming. The page in question was named contact.php and it was way too easy to send messages using this contact form by using this link format contact.php?to=target@email.com. Due to improper programming, his contact form turned into a spam machine.UPDATE:Is your account that is using high STMP the same one on your signature link? If it was, add an empty index.html file on the main folder then dis allow automatic mailings on all your members instead allow sending via digest. Since it was a forum, there is a high chance that you will hit a very high SMTP usage from time to time if each one subscribe to forum updates.

Edited by vhortex (see edit history)