xisto Community
Illustrious

Minecraft

I was wondering if anyone here played Minecraft. It is a little game designed by Notch with around 355,000 purchases ever since May 19, 2009. If you look at the statistics, you can see that around 7,000 - 10,000 people are purchasing the game every 24 hours which is pretty amazing.

If you are wondering what Minecraft is, it is pretty much a game where you can build objects out of blocks while trying to survive. When you first start a game, a completely randomized terrain is created for you and you spawn in the middle of nowhere. The objective for most people is to build a shelter before nightfall. Some people build houses, some might build a cave into a mountain and some might even create a shelter underwater.

The reason you should build your shelter before nightfall is because night is when zombies come out (of course you can disable zombies in the 'options' menu but in my opnion, that would kill the game). Anyways, zombies LIKE the darkness. In the morning when the sun starts rising, you can see the zombies catch on fire one-by-one. :)

There is actually no point in this game. All of the goals and achievements are set by the players and the number of ideas you can have in this game are endless. The terrain is your playground that can almost never get used up. I recommend that you check out SeaNanners' channel on YouTube for live commentary of the game.

You should also know that I have noticed some things while playing the game.

The animals in the game like to swim and jump in the water.

You will also see animals humping a random object.

If you try to create a fireplace in your wooden house, it might catch on fire.

Zombies like to creep up behind you a lot.

Most monsters (except for skeletons) are easier to kill underwater.

You can defy gravity o.O

Chickens may suicide. (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/)

TNT is very dangerous (and fun).

The game is very fun. It's currently in Alpha right now so there are a lot of glitches. The game costs 9.95 euros during Alpha but will go up to 20 euros once the game goes into beta. There is a multiplayer mode at the moment but damage has not been implemented yet. Also, if you ask anyone who plays Minecraft, they will recommend you to try it out unless they hit their head pretty hard.
Edited by Illustrious (see edit history)

I love it, but I can't explain why. The game engine is so simple, but it really feels like the possibilities are endless. My friend was talking about it the other day- trying to get me to play it- but he refused to describe the game. Looking back I think he realized I'd have found the concept of breaking blocks for hours on end rather lame.I had a go on Alpha at a friends house (I'm too poor for that $10 price tag..) and found the new gaming style intriguing. I enjoyed the construction aspect most of all. That, and the random animals that just squiggle around the map doing bugger all.. :P

I love it, but I can't explain why. The game engine is so simple, but it really feels like the possibilities are endless. My friend was talking about it the other day- trying to get me to play it- but he refused to describe the game. Looking back I think he realized I'd have found the concept of breaking blocks for hours on end rather lame.I had a go on Alpha at a friends house (I'm too poor for that $10 price tag..) and found the new gaming style intriguing. I enjoyed the construction aspect most of all. That, and the random animals that just squiggle around the map doing bugger all.. :P

I believe that there is always something to do as long as you use your imagination. The only thing that I do not like is the fact that the game looks like complete crap and looks boring until you actually get to experience the game. I make my friends watch SeaNanner's videos on YouTube because he provides some awesome commentary and shows how fun the game really is.

Notch is coming out with a Halloween update on the 31st of October which is going to be pretty exciting. The game keeps adding new things. I can not wait to see what the game is going to be like when it enters the Beta stage or even the full release. :)