xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
livepcportal

Domain Name & Seo?

Hello everyone!I have think of some domain names which I would like to buy very shortly. I have think of these names since almost 7-8 months and they are still available, waiting for me to buy them :P , and the really good thing is they have a keyword in the name and all are of two words, so, before I finally decide to go with these names, I would just like to know, how will having keywords in my domain name affect the seo of the site? Will search engines put my site at higher rankings considering I have seo optimized content on my site already? Specially, will it improve my google search engine ranking?Thanks in advance :)

well, i am searching for a domain name to my portfolio too, and trying to find out the best way and the best one. and as i figured out till now from other conversations in here that keywords in domain name affect the seo. even in not in a direct way but they do. so if you already decided a one and it is still available, don't hesitate. go and buy them, and hope you luck with your site.

I think there is one more thread for this already not sure where it is now. There is definitely some value to domain name when you are targeting product or offer. If you are targeting your brand name and want to make presence then just focus on brand than on domain name. For example, ausloguics is registry cleaner developer but they have domain name on their brand name and not on "registry cleaner" keyword. If you want to build brand then stick with the name you have chosen for and don't worry about these keywords as brand name site rise no matter how much SEO tweaks affiliate/niche site do while competition with brand.

one thing you need to know about SEO is, keywords are EVERYTHING, from the domain name to the content on the website, this will all effect your rankings. if your website is about games for example, you should I the word 'game' or 'games' in the domain, rather then some name that's completely unrelated.

Another thing you should do is use meta tags, these are hidden bits of code that are only visible to Search Engines. they include keywords, and a short description of your website.

<head><title>l33t gamerz</title><meta name="description" content="Welcome to l33t gamerz!! we are l33t and awesome."><meta name="keywords" content="l33t, game, gamers, consoles, pro, awesome, noob, nub, you, lost, the, game"></head>

Description: this is the block of words that appears below your link in search engines. pretty self explanatory.
Keywords: these are what really matter, when someone searches for the word "games" your site will be included on the list because the word "games" is in the keywords, however, if someone searches for "flowers" and that word is not in your site's keywords, your site will probably not show up anywhere. this is not indefinite though.
Edited by moderator (see edit history)

i just want to expand on what soviet said about keywords. it's really not about keywords anymore, but keyphrases. there is way too much competition on any one or two keywords. for example... "games" is not a good keyword. "playstation games" is better but still not good. "playstation action games" is better but could be more specific. you don't want to target people buy using keywords, but keyword phrases.for every web page, there should be 2 keyword phrases you are targeting at the MOST. this is sorta old news but relevant to the topic. soviet was half right in what he was trying to convey.

i just want to expand on what soviet said about keywords. it's really not about keywords anymore, but keyphrases. there is way too much competition on any one or two keywords. for example... "games" is not a good keyword. "playstation games" is better but still not good. "playstation action games" is better but could be more specific. you don't want to target people buy using keywords, but keyword phrases.
for every web page, there should be 2 keyword phrases you are targeting at the MOST. this is sorta old news but relevant to the topic. soviet was half right in what he was trying to convey.

oh god, so now we should searching on specific, detailed, and unique keywords phrases :(
this is so hard to deal with now. especially for those who want to be in the top rank for seo, they should search and think for hours just to find the right key phrases.
but i must say that they are like magic, if you made the right choice then your site will appear in the first or second google search after being in 1000 page of google search or about :). and then you will feel like all your hard work is rewarded. where using keywords is taking you for now where, as anwiii said. and i experienced all that with my site and i must say that i agree with anwiii about every single word he said.

oh god, so now we should searching on specific, detailed, and unique keywords phrases

Google keyword tool, google wonder wheel and some other sites like spyfoo, keyword tracker etc. will let you know about profitable keywords or keywords with estimated traffic. You should check these tools if you are writing keeping keywords in mind. Keyword tool has estimated traffic numbers with some specific accuracy.

I think there is one more thread for this already not sure where it is now.

Yeah you are right. Hehehe.....I wasn't even aware of this thread :unsure:
Actually, I first created this thread and this thread didn't appear on the forum. So, I thought something went wrong...might be another bug on the forum or my lovely net goes mad again :P . So, I created another thread in Google Services >> Seo.
Now, I just find out that it require moderator approval before new thread appears on the forum.
Thus, just would like to say sorry to everyone for this. :rolleyes: