xisto Community
inea

Dog Training How to train your dog.

the training of your dog.  

1 member has voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Here are some tips about the training of your dog.
1. be consequent.
2. be dedicated
3. be patient
4. be clear.
5. be consistent.
6. be kind

1. always act the same. like don't expect one day something of the dog. And the other day you expect the dog to react different. the dog won't understand the difference.
2. give attention to how the dog acts and reacts.
3. give sufficient time to spend with the dog. And take enough time to learn the dog what you expect the dog to to. the dog loves to learn new things. the dog is used to live with a couple of dogs. and in the dog environment it is important for the dog to please the other members of the environment. so the dog likes to learn something new and to please the other member of the group.
4. make yourself be understood by the dog. it is not fair to expect the dog to understand commands that are not clear to the dog. this relates to number 1. because different expectations and different things that the dog is told can be confusing.
5. this relates to number 1 and number 4. the point is to learn the dog to obey. so don't accept it when the dog doesn't act the way you want. or to disobey. or to neglect your command. go on with making clear to the dog what you expect the dog to do till the dog does it. so the dog learns not to neglect what you say.
6. don't act rude to your dog.

these tips are completey made up.

here is part 2 of the training a dog lessons added to the forum.

Edited by inea (see edit history)

One more you want to add to your list of 6.7. Be firm. This is probably more important with some breeds than others, but still important. If you tell the dog to do something, you must make sure he actually does it. Letting a dog get away with not following your commands will make proper training nearly impossible. Never let your dog get away with bad behaviour.

By the way is it true that pup takes more than 10-12 months of time to learn our commands and understand that XYZ is his/her name ? My friend has Labrador pup and he said vet told him that pup takes this much time to learn things around him/her ?

By the way is it true that pup takes more than 10-12 months of time to learn our commands and understand that XYZ is his/her name ? My friend has Labrador pup and he said vet told him that pup takes this much time to learn things around him/her ?

It depends on the dog and the breed. Many dogs will pick up the basics much quicker but I'd still advise going to training classes for a year or more.

Ah yes now i understand why people prefer dog trainer for these things. But i have seen few stray dogs understanding our actions much quickly than the breeds for which we pay high amount. Labrador, chihuahua etc etc. Maybe that is because stray dogs are still in wild and adapted where those pet dogs require constant teaching and attention ?

Ah yes now i understand why people prefer dog trainer for these things. But i have seen few stray dogs understanding our actions much quickly than the breeds for which we pay high amount. Labrador, chihuahua etc etc. Maybe that is because stray dogs are still in wild and adapted where those pet dogs require constant teaching and attention ?

Although that sounds plausible it is way too simplistic. Some pedigree dogs are sharp as sixpence and some are very dumb. The street dogs that survive are, almost by definition, not too dumb - real natural selection - but neither are they necessarily good to train.
The Schipperke is a good example. If I compare Maddie - border collie, with Minnie - Schipperke, they are both pretty bright. Maddy picks everything up first or second go and will then repeat it anytime (or at least if she doesn't get spooked - she is a very nervous dog). Minnie picks it up quickly but needs constant practice or she will stop doing it.
Is Maddie smarter? Well probably yes, but this behaviour doesn't tell you that - what it tells me is that Minnie is more stubborn and Maddie is more anxious to please.

Gosh no, I have't ever met a dog that was that dumb! At least if you are refering to a single command, or word like their name. Now, teaching a behaviour like not pooping in the house may take awhile, but not names and things like sit or shake hands.

Gosh no, I have't ever met a dog that was that dumb! At least if you are refering to a single command, or word like their name. Now, teaching a behaviour like not pooping in the house may take awhile, but not names and things like sit or shake hands.

Yes I agree. I would hope to have a dog under basic control (coming to me when called) within a week (training an hour or so a day) - that is the most important of the lot, obviously. Sit & Down - reliably and properly, within a couple of weeks or so. Stay & Wait - that depends on how good you want it. If you are happy that you can keep the dog down whilst you step a few paces away, then that won't take more than a few hours practice. If you want the dog to hold a down until you come back from the pub a few hours later, then that is a bit different (and will also depend more on the breed/temperament of the dog).

I think that a good general goal (above and beyond basic come, sit, stay) is to be able to walk the dog, off lead, at a good heel, slowly between 2 lines of other dogs; back and forward - consistently.
When you have that level of control then I call your dog (and you) pretty well trained.
Edited by Bikerman (see edit history)

Not just name, but commands how to behave. Just calling his name and obeying might take week or month. But to be the dog you want, vet thinks that takes about year or so. I guess vet is referring to temperament and the trainers persistence for that. By the way which breed you think takes less time ? also which takes more time ?

Not just name, but commands how to behave. Just calling his name and obeying might take week or month. But to be the dog you want, vet thinks that takes about year or so. I guess vet is referring to temperament and the trainers persistence for that. By the way which breed you think takes less time ? also which takes more time ?

To train? Again there is a quick answer but it is dangerous. The quick answer is the border collie. Probably the smartest dog around (using a variety of different measures) and can be trained quickly to an extremely high level.
BUT the border collie needs careful handling. They are bright, for sure, which means they quickly get bored, and when they are bored they often destroy things or hurt themselves. Maddie, ours, is extremely nervous. She is lightening fast at agility but will never make it to grade 8 where she belongs because she is so easily put-off her round. Even the judge moving towards her can stop her. The club we and the dogs belong to has 4 of her brothers, 2 or more sisters, various parents, cousins, uncles and assorted family - down to great-grandparents - so we know the family traits very well, and all the females of this generation are excessively shy - just genetic luck of the draw (the dogs come from a working farm on the borders - real border collies, not pets :-) )

My advice would be - don't start with a bc. Get yourself a lab or an allie if you like bigger dogs. Alsations make great pets - we had one called Aslan (he was long haired and we got him as students when our lodger was doing the Christmas Play with the drama department - the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe - the name just seemed perfect :-)
Aslan was steady-eddy on the course. Would never get close to a bc time, but wouldn't drop any poles either. Regularly in the rosettes from sheer consistency. More importantly he was gentleness personified with kids. My wife works for a charity in her spare time and they take a bunch of 13-15 year olds away every summer for a camping holiday in wales (most of these kids would not get a holiday otherwise). I have seen Aslan being dragged by his fur by a tiny 12 yr old girl, at 5.00am down to the beach where he was buried, sunglasses placed on his nose, and generally giggled, laughed at and poked. He sat and took it with not a whine or growl. Smashing dog (lost him to cancer at the age of 11, 20-odd years ago now and I still miss him sometimes
:unsure:

Think of the bc as a highly tuned motorbike. If you can ride it then nothing on the road is going to beat you. However, one slip and you end up in a bad mess. Best left to the serious handlers or those with a lot of time on their hands and not a good choice for a normal family pet.
Edited by Bikerman (see edit history)

I don't know if we can get border collie here in asia. It is really hard to get some breeds may be because of geographical location and import/export rules. Through import or from previous breeder camps ,chances are there. But those chances are slim IMO. I'll stick with lab, boxer and Shepard for now.

I don't know if we can get border collie here in asia. It is really hard to get some breeds may be because of geographical location and import/export rules. Through import or from previous breeder camps ,chances are there. But those chances are slim IMO. I'll stick with lab, boxer and Shepard for now.

Probably, you can get them through any famous pet shop, contact any vet. doctor in your region, probably they can help you in this matter if you are really interested in having a border collie....but, be ready to pay huge amount in buying them, such, breeds costs very high usually.....

And, breeds like labradors, boxer and german shepherds are very famous breeds here in India or might be in other parts of the world. I personally have a german shepherd, and is very good, she is 7 months old female and looks heavy, she can easily hunt down other dogs :P I was also having another german shepherd before her and he was also very good, but, someone steal him, i was really small then :(
I also heard that labradors are also very friendly and intelligent dogs too.....at last, as a dog lover, I would say, whether it is labrador or german shepherd or local breed dog or any other famous breed, all have got same feelings and if handled properly they are the best in the world :)
My both dogs are the best dogs in the world :P

Yes i know that some vet or people sell them at high costs. Thats why i said it is rare to have them here. BC is not common breed here in india. Labradors rarely get annoyed with people or our actions. So i always found them interesting and prefer them over any other dog. Boxer is kinda scary but they are also loyal and like other dogs you can count on them. shepherd is cool too and they are likely to be sold more here than any other breed.

Yes i know that some vet or people sell them at high costs. Thats why i said it is rare to have them here. BC is not common breed here in india.
Labradors rarely get annoyed with people or our actions. So i always found them interesting and prefer them over any other dog. Boxer is kinda scary but they are also loyal and like other dogs you can count on them. shepherd is cool too and they are likely to be sold more here than any other breed.

The only advice I would give is to avoid Sheps that are highly pedigree (ie inbred). Hip displacia is common - the breed standards for the dog over the last decade stupidly emphasised the sloping back which means a lot of 'high pedigree' sheps have useless back legs.

The only advice I would give is to avoid Sheps that are highly pedigree (ie inbred). Hip displacia is common - the breed standards for the dog over the last decade stupidly emphasised the sloping back which means a lot of 'high pedigree' sheps have useless back legs.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. You have any training experience with training great den dog ? I find them kinda scary because of their huge size and noise. We do have some people here in society keeping those dogs. But i prefer not to get one any time in future.