xisto Community
Adell

Teaching Kids Love them or Hate them

Have you had any experience teaching little devils? A whole bunch of them? I have, and I don't think I would become a teacher... EVER.Teaching at a nearby barangay?s Day Care Center has been an eventful and a promising experience; never have I before done actual civil service nor did anything that was outside of my comfort zone ? which teaching kids was.I, being the eldest sister among three siblings, I have experience dealing with children ? but not a whole class full of them? it was really overwhelming.Children of day care age are tricky little imps that are hard to manage. Their attention span is as short as it can ever be for a human being and their tempers are unmanageable if given the reason to spark. They are volatile things in a small bundle that I dare not to try and break (not that I would try).I taught kids along with classmates for two semesters as required by the University (although I am not taking Education and we got the easier of the tasks given to classes as others were tasked with more manual labor). With the aid of the kid?s teachers, we could manage to go through the three hours without any ugly results. I am happy to say that I had gotten through this ?obstacle?.Me being part of the story telling group, our usual routine would consist of an opening prayer, having the kids use clay or paper to create an object ? with which we would create the story from. Myself, being a writer of horror and gore (and all the other dark topics you might be able to think of) had a hard time adjusting to the younger audience, my readers usually being people of my age and older. I found that making stories for children was not my forte (nor anyone else?s from our group)... My German classmate even tried to "brainwash" the kids and taught them politics, although they really did not take him seriously.We, of course, did not have that routine all the time ? because it was a case-to-case thing. During Valentines Day, we had the children make Valentines card for their parents while our last day together, the children were practicing for their graduation so we took to watching their song and dance numbers.I am honestly? still not very fond of children and the only little kid I can truly tolerate and love is my younger sister, although this experience may have taught me to tolerate them a bit more (even by just a little).Moving on to other experiences I had during my time at the Day Care Center, I learned to respect teachers more. They have such a hard job taking care of and teaching kids (I bet high school teachers have it worst). The teachers at the center were very helpful to us during our ordeals.Aside from that, there were times where we went to the center, ready to teach and found that the students weren?t there because they had no classes. They really should have informed us before hand because it is troublesome to travel to there (especially to those with homes far away) and find that we came there for nothing. There were times that the minutes seemed to pass so slowly and there were times that an hour felt like a minute. It is always a different experience. The children were? tolerable during the course.All in all, I wouldn?t mind teaching kids again, but I probably won?t be volunteering for it either. I?m just happy I got through this. :3

Hi, Adell! I signed up for LTS (Literacy Training Service)to avoid ROTC when it was first offered in 2002. :blush: A gratifying experience because I get to teach elementary kids. I can only imagine what you may have gone through with the "little devils." :P The best part was during breaks playing Sepak Takraw with them. Our class was assigned to teach primary studs in Midkiwan, some 1-1.5 hours from CDO. A place where music is equated to April Boy Regino. We get to sing a lot of his songs, and I actually started liking the songs, B) and dance with the studs. The beauty of the experience is the willingness of the students to learn; ours were Saturday classes. I agree with the deep respect for teachers that is cultivated throughout the experience. The patience, the passion and the endurance.

I'm not good at teaching to anyone face to face. I have little less courage for stage teaching or presentation. I can teach anyone on the internet though. LOL. I do have worst experience about the teaching some students on teachers day. I think i will never ever gonna teach after that. That aside i had seen some of the worst teachers and douchebag professors in my life. Because of this i hate teachers profession. I really hate it.

oh teaching!!!i really hate teaching others. even my degree allows me to be a teacher but i canceled this idea from my head from the first day i graduated. teaching needs a lot of patience and to study your students personality, it needs time and courage to deal with them and a lot of patience to deal with dumb students :D . therefor i know it is not for me. once, i remember i tried to teach my little brother math for a couple of weeks and i ended fighting with him :D. it is really hard to deal with kids these days, and i really feel sorry for teachers and admire their hard working.

I can handle teaching pretty easily but my issue stems more from the age of the kids than anything. There seems to be a period (I'd guess around 6th-8th grade) where the kids think they own the world, know more than anyone else, and are overall extremely rude because of it. I do not think I could handle being around that kind of mentality on a day-to-day basis.Then again, maybe the issue isn't so much the kids as it is the current teachers themselves. I know I, for example, was always well past where my other classmates were in terms of learning. Due to this I was extremely bored through school and spent more time messing around than doing what I was supposed to. Maybe by having teachers that realized the issues I would have been a lot better to deal with.

personally, i love kids. i think if one can have the patience for children, one can have the patience for life. teaching them is difficult but can be so rewarding. on the flip side, i think it's ignorant when someone can just post about teaching children because a lot of time, if you pay attention, THEY can teach YOU. people are sometimes so self absorbed, they forget to just watch and listen. i think one of the greatest things about kids though is their innocence and their uncanny natural ability to allow adults to be kids in a way and bring us to a place where life isn't so complicated.

Have you had any experience teaching little devils? A whole bunch of them? I have, and I don't think I would become a teacher... EVER.

LOL...it's not so bad :-)Actually I teach at the other end of the age range (secondary and FE/HE) and I don't think I would be very good with the younger kids. I did 12 weeks of teaching 7 yr olds during my teacher training many years ago, and found it exhausting. My mum was a primary school teacher - the really young ones in reception class - and I have no doubt that she worked harder than me for less money. Unfortunately teaching tends to be perceived by the public as having a heirarchy from primary teachers at the bottom to University lecturers at the top. In fact this is entirely wrong. People see it that way, I suspect, because they tend to think that teaching reading and writing must be much easier than teaching quantum physics (because everyone reads and writes, but very few understand QM). In fact I think it is the other way around. I think it is much harder to teach 5-10 year olds than it is to teach 18+ yr olds. At college/uni the students are generally motivated and reaonably behaved so the only real issues revolve around preparing your subject material properly and doing the marking. Having taught for a fair time in both secondary and FE/HE I can say that secondary was MUCH harder work than the higher level stuff....

C.

There seems to be a period (I'd guess around 6th-8th grade) where the kids think they own the world, know more than anyone else, and are overall extremely rude because of it.

This would be my big problem with teaching. I don't think I could even start to stand it. At least in this day and age. 40 years ago, children had respect for teacher and parents and basicly any adults in charge of the given situation. They knew they attended school to learn and get an education so they could better themselves. It was important to learn what the teachers instructed them in.

But todays children are a completely different animal. They have been the center of "importance" for their entire upbringing, allowed to have exactly their own way however and when ever they want. Nobody is allowed to correct them, or do anything to negatively affect them. And we as adults cater to them, passing children threw the grades in school when they should of failed, because we didn't want to damage their precious little egos. Forget that they are being promoted for failing to do what is required of them and teaching them that they aren't expected to do what is required of them if they don't want to. No reward for working, just handed out promotion for nothing. Seems to me it's just like setting up a generation to be welfare bums. Why work when you can get paid for nothing? Or even if they join the work force, just how good of employees will they make? Will they understand that they have a responsibility to fullfill? Heck, now a days, even if they start their own business, if it fails, they can expect the government to come and bail them out. No personal responsibility what so ever. The entire situation is quite depressing.

teaching kids is really a hard work and i haven't seen any successful teach yet. i have seen my sisters son which i think is unteachable he breaks and destroys every thing in the room in just 1 minute and if you try to punish him he will start to cry and you can't do anything.i think talking with small kids is just wasting of time. i don't remember my childish but i think i didn't listen to anything that parents said to me when i was a child.i think when a kid goes to school , his/her behavior changes a lot. so i think you should try to teach him after he starts his school.anyway i'm not a father so i can't say anything exactly.

ohh i have been a teacher in the university ..i really know how difficult the job is Teaching the kids and the students in university is a completely different task..Kids get distracted so early and they need studies to be more fun and not at all look like study...so u need to be really innovate in your ways while teaching themMake it play and they will learn ....But a lot of patience is needed to teach them make them learn..for sometimes their questions would be so many and u will have no answers to that.. thats an awkward situation to deal with...I think it is the most difficult task every mom does...teaching kids..U also need to understand the child first ..his way of learningSome kids learn quickly when in a group of friends while others need personal attention ..Identifying this makes the work happen in a better way ..helps in reducing the stress of teaching a kidTeaching elders is not more difficult..they understand the languages and can concentrate for longer...but others concerns a lot ....they would try to show u down by finding out typical questions ...trying to check your IQ..But whatever..i love to teach...and now im not scared of questions..i have answers for all :)

i think talking with small kids is just wasting of time. i don't remember my childish but i think i didn't listen to anything that parents said to me when i was a child.i think when a kid goes to school , his/her behavior changes a lot. so i think you should try to teach him after he starts his school.

Oh no, I disagree completely with you. You have to start young, very young, to get your bluff in on the kids. One simple word is enough to start. NO. That's it, just no. If you were young and about to stick your finger in a light socket and your parents said NO would you of stuck your finger in it anyway? Maybe. Even probably. But it's a pretty safe bet that when you regained your senses after being knocked out by a blast of electric coursing threw your little body, you probably would of realized the next time your parents said NO that maybe you should listen to them. :)