xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
timmyleary

Cool Php And Sql Books? Any cool books for learning PHP and SQL

Hey wanted to know if anyone can suggest any cool books for a beginner of PHP and Sql. I'm currently reading PHP and MySQL for Dummies it is pretty good and easy to follow. Im also reading online at http://www.w3schools.com/. In some other thread someone suggested a book called Learn PHP in 24 hours, will try and find it. I've also got a book here on my shelf Microsoft Access User's Guide, will it be of any help for SQL if I'm going to use Access to generate SQL code for me for example for logins and passwords?

Hey wanted to know if anyone can suggest any cool books for a beginner of PHP and Sql. I'm currently reading PHP and MySQL for Dummies it is pretty good and easy to follow. Im also reading online at http://www.w3schools.com/. In some other thread someone suggested a book called Learn PHP in 24 hours, will try and find it. I've also got a book here on my shelf Microsoft Access User's Guide, will it be of any help for SQL if I'm going to use Access to generate SQL code for me for example for logins and passwords?

you are on the right way timmyleary. "PHP and MySQL for Dummies" is the best for beginners in my opinion, and http://www.w3schools.com/ is the best place to learn from. i could suggest you too my own book for php & mysql. but you should read it after you finished "PHP and MySQL for Dummies" because it is kinda for advanced and starting from php & mysql and related them with object oriented programming,file handling, ajax,xml and rss. it's name is "the complete reference php", and this is my php book

Posted Image

about the access book, i don't know why you want to deal with database using access. usually when you learn php, you use mysql to create database not access.

I'll try to avoid dummies and complete reference series for plenty of reasons. They can make you paralyzed when it comes to concepts. There are some other books which i think you should prefer. Sitepoint books are one of the best books i ever came across on topic of web design. I rate those books over any other series or publication.

Here is the link - Sitepoint Books - library.

Other than that there is - Web Database Applications with PHP & MySQL, 2nd Edition.

And PHP Cookbook, which contains example and concepts.

Oh and there is one book from smashing magazine as well but i'm not aware of the place so i can't give you the link, but you can search for that.