xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
The Simpleton

Goodbye, Opensolaris

It's old news that Oracle took over Sun Microsystems. What I'm going to post is a bit old too, but it's still a sort-of breaking news! OpenSolaris, the open-source Operating System developed by Sun, doesn't seem to interest Oracle at all, and they have discontinued it. Some old employees of Sun, however, have used the source-code and have created another OS (whose name I can't remember :( ) I'm not sure how popular OpenSolaris was, but I liked to read about it every now and then, especially about its file management system (ZFS, was it?) I never really used OpenSolaris but I think there will be a few fans who miss the Sun touch?

I only heard of OpenSolaris, never really used it. But your information got me interested so I asked a friend who works at Oracle South East Asia HQ why. She said "Because we can!" :blink:

Some people predicted the oracle's involvement in SUN could cause many projects to shut down. Who knows they might limit the features in future versions of the MySQL. Knowing all of this i am not at all surprised. Solaris was not the profitable platform for them which is true and there was nothing that it can possibly give to most of the established platform. Moving those developers to linux or Unix variants is better idea. Let's face it there are more than 100 linux variants already and instead of improving the base linux it is not at all helping platform as well. So i'm not surprised if any BSD/Linux or Unix variants dies in future because of such corporate decisions. It is completely understandable that people want to make money from OS and other software and now that people are free-bie suckers with linux, how come small business is going to pay for OS ?