xisto Community
Liquidized

What Should I Know About The Xbox360?

I know there're a *BLEEP*load of flaws and i know you can mod it. I want to know just about everything without purchasing it yet because i don't want to be an idiot like with my PSP and upgrade the firmware to a firmware where you couldn't hack and sony never gave OFW/legit users anything special. So here's what i want to know...-Flaws-How to reduce or fix the Flaws-About Modding such as which version are compatible-Which xbox360 should i get-Some Great Games i should get-About the Memory Card / HarddriveThanks.

I know there're a *BLEEP*load of flaws and i know you can mod it. I want to know just about everything without purchasing it yet because i don't want to be an idiot like with my PSP and upgrade the firmware to a firmware where you couldn't hack and sony never gave OFW/legit users anything special. So here's what i want to know...
-Flaws
-How to reduce or fix the Flaws
-About Modding such as which version are compatible
-Which xbox360 should i get
-Some Great Games i should get
-About the Memory Card / Harddrive

Thanks.

Well I thought at first that xbox 360's are really good then I decided to buy one. After 4 weeks I decided to sell it due to having to pay for online and the crap quality of games. In a few weeks I am going to buy a PS3 as the quality is so much better.
There really is nothing special about the Xbox 360 compared to the PS3. The Xbox360 just seems like an out of date PS2 however on the other hand the PS3 Blueray, HQ Gaming, Free online.

I would really just go for the PS3 mate.

I think everyone knows this, but just in case: Xbox360 has the RED RING OF DEATH which is quite a serious problem for Xbox360 gamers. Also, using the Xbox360, I have been told that it would scratch your disks. There were also reports of video malfunction and cases where a microchip of some sort was broken while playing.And I agree with Ash-Bash. PS3 > Xbox360.

*sigh* PS3 == 360 HQ gaming on the PS3? Yup, but crappy online connection quality.Free online with PS3? Yup but it isnt as popular, it is nowhere near as advanced or feature filled and connections are usually poor.Believe me... i am no microsoft fanboy, i hate microsoft. Right now i am using linux and firefox connected to a unix based network using a unix based firewall/proxy. But the xbox is not as bad as you have said. The red ring of death is not a problem since the new version of the 360 came out. The chip has been replaced since the original problem was identified. Disc scratching is just an urban myth. Unless you knock the machine over while the disc is spinning the disc will be fine. And if you topple the ps3 while the disc is in usre it will do the same as the xbox. Bluray *shrugs* Known flaws... N/A so long as port forwarding is enabled in your router and you dont get a crappy second hand one it will be fine. Software updates are mandatory, you cant connect to the live network without applying them hence modding the system is not really possible. Microsoft actively pursue and track modded chips etc... Hacking games is sometimes possible but this is done using hex editors and transfer cables and is a security flaw within the game and not the system.Most major titles now come out either first on xbox or at the same time as the ps3.All xbox's are created equal. All the latest ones have HDMI and ethernet. Some come with built in wireless or you can buy a wireless card if you need to. Memory is sold separately usually, a 250gb hard drive is ?70 in the UK.

You have to pay to use Xbox Live. It is an excellent service, and I do find it superior to the online services for the other two leading consoles, but those let you connect for free. Last I checked, it was $50 for a year, or $20 for three months. That's my main gripe.Another problem I'm sure you're already aware of is the red ring of death. This sometimes happens to your 360 when you least expect it and renders it unusable. In my long time with my 360, I have never seen the red ring of death, so I can't say much about that, but it does happen, so you should be aware of it. If it's under warranty, just send it in to Microsoft and have them fix it. If not, and you're too cheap to pay to have them fix it, there is a trick involving towels and overheating that doesn't sound 100% safe, but apparently does work. If you want to do that, there are videos all over youtube about that.I would get the new 360 if I were you. I don't know how compatible it is with modding, but it is worth it for the built in wireless adapter and hard drive. Wireless adapters are about $100, and you will not be able to find a bigger external hard drive than the one in their new 360.I'd recommend you get either Halo 3, Halo: Reach, or Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 if you have friends you want to play with online, as these are the games most 360 gamers tend to have. If you're looking for a top notch single player experience, then look into the Bioshock games, Mass Effect 1/2, Assassin's Creed 1/2, Resident Evil 5, or Devil May Cry 4. Some other games which can be played online, but are best for local four-player multiplayer are Rock Band 2, Guitar Hero 5, and Castle Crashers. Anyway, if you get the new 360, it already comes pre-loaded with a nice big hard drive, but you can bu fairly sizable ones separately as well if you really want one of the older XBoxes. (They do get a bit pricey, though.)Hope this helps. ;)

You have to pay to use Xbox Live. It is an excellent service, and I do find it superior to the online services for the other two leading consoles, but those let you connect for free. Last I checked, it was $50 for a year, or $20 for three months. That's my main gripe.
Another problem I'm sure you're already aware of is the red ring of death. This sometimes happens to your 360 when you least expect it and renders it unusable. In my long time with my 360, I have never seen the red ring of death, so I can't say much about that, but it does happen, so you should be aware of it. If it's under warranty, just send it in to Microsoft and have them fix it. If not, and you're too cheap to pay to have them fix it, there is a trick involving towels and overheating that doesn't sound 100% safe, but apparently does work. If you want to do that, there are videos all over youtube about that.

I would get the new 360 if I were you. I don't know how compatible it is with modding, but it is worth it for the built in wireless adapter and hard drive. Wireless adapters are about $100, and you will not be able to find a bigger external hard drive than the one in their new 360.

I'd recommend you get either Halo 3, Halo: Reach, or Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 if you have friends you want to play with online, as these are the games most 360 gamers tend to have. If you're looking for a top notch single player experience, then look into the Bioshock games, Mass Effect 1/2, Assassin's Creed 1/2, Resident Evil 5, or Devil May Cry 4. Some other games which can be played online, but are best for local four-player multiplayer are Rock Band 2, Guitar Hero 5, and Castle Crashers.

Anyway, if you get the new 360, it already comes pre-loaded with a nice big hard drive, but you can bu fairly sizable ones separately as well if you really want one of the older XBoxes. (They do get a bit pricey, though.)

Hope this helps. ;)

Well i would go with the PS3 but it's a crapload. $300 if i recall. The games are expensive as well. I know the method of getting an xbox360 for like $70... It's just that the accessories, the errors, etc... I have no chance of getting a ps3 (or this year at least)... So should i just get a PC tablet or something instead of an xbox360

Well i would go with the PS3 but it's a crapload. $300 if i recall. The games are expensive as well. I know the method of getting an xbox360 for like $70... It's just that the accessories, the errors, etc... I have no chance of getting a ps3 (or this year at least)... So should i just get a PC tablet or something instead of an xbox360

PC tablet instead of a Xbox360? Are you kidding me?!?! Maybe you didn't see how much fun xbox is... and all you can do on your tablet is LESS than you can do with your computer. If you are trying to get a tablet because its cheaper, trust me...you will regret it and i don't think you can get a touch one (those are the best) for under $300 (if you can, its probably cheap china bulkware). Just save up enough money and get a xbox360.