xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
deadmad7

Golf Ball Ignites California Fire Golfers swing has bizarre consequences

You can use a golf club for all kinds of non-golfy purposes -- walking stick, fishing rod, club, to name three. And now we can add to that list -- firestarter.Over the weekend, a golfer's routine swing in the rough at the Shady Canyon Golf Course in Irvine, Calif., struck a rock. Not so different from the way you play, right? Only this time, the impact caused a spark, and the spark set off a blaze that eventually covered 25 acres, according to the Steven Buck, General Manager of Shady Canyon Golf Course, and required the efforts of 150 Orange County firefighters, writes the Associated Press.
Wow. And I felt bad the time I shanked a ball through the window of a house too close to the fairway. That was nothing compared to this!
The golfer's name is being withheld, which is probably for the best, and no charges are going to be filed. Fortunately, it all could have been much worse. As it was, the blaze required both helicopters and on-the-ground crews.
The conditions were ripe for a blaze, with dry brush from a recent heat wave just waiting for the right spark. Like, say, one caused by metal on rock.

Thats some weird news for this week :lol: Who knew golf could be so dangerous? Now, its time to take your new knowledge to your club or any place which you hate and want to destory... perfect opportunity. If you are lucky, you won't get sued too! B)

Thats some weird news for this week Who knew golf could be so dangerous? Now, its time to take your new knowledge to your club or any place which you hate and want to destory... perfect opportunity. If you are lucky, you won't get sued too!

Lol.

Really weird news. Spark and boom, a fire? I can't even begin to imagine how it all started. Maybe there's some fire accelerant on that part of the course. Or it could be just plain "malas" (bad luck)

Lol.
Really weird news. Spark and boom, a fire? I can't even begin to imagine how it all started. Maybe there's some fire accelerant on that part of the course. Or it could be just plain "malas" (bad luck)

The reason -- It's summer, its California, dry bushes and a rock. The golf ball scratched against a sharp object, like a rock and created a spark. The spark slowly grew for hours and it turned into a huge fire. But I guess its a little "malas" thrown in too! :lol:

that's not news. anything and everything starts fires in california haha

haha thats true :) But it surely is the weirdest thing yet...

I put this over in "jokes" for any puns you may want to do. I had some good ones but i forgot them before i could post them.

Ok, that's pretty wild, and sounds about like our luck. One year we decided to burn off the weeds in our garden, we got a spot burnt about the size of a small car, the fire jumped over into the yard, then cleared off a fair amount of the yard, and show how, some way though I can't figure out how, it managed to jump the county road, got in the woods and went gang busters up the hill, I swear we nearly burnt up half the county before it was over. Never did get the garden burned. (and had better sense than to try again either.) From now on I'll just move the goats over to the garden and let them eat it off!

Wow. That's pretty weird. Kind of reminded me of a time when my friend's father threw a sparkler into a field and the grass caught fire...

And then they say doing sports is healthy! Nah, bad joke.But it's really strange, isn't it? I mean, did it really happen? It sounds too odd to be true.How can a golf ball make a spark?

Ouch, I guess I am super late finding out about this one. I wonder how they know that the golf ball started the fire, and I wonder how the heck that happens. Was the golf ball hit so hard that it made a spark or something? I sure am happy that I don't live out there, because between the earth quakes, forest fires, and land slides, I am pretty sure that property and life insurance is extremely high out there. I guess some brilliant individual will have to create a fire proof golf ball now (lol).

And then they say doing sports is healthy! Nah, bad joke.But it's really strange, isn't it? I mean, did it really happen? It sounds too odd to be true.
How can a golf ball make a spark?

Ouch, I guess I am super late finding out about this one. I wonder how they know that the golf ball started the fire, and I wonder how the heck that happens. Was the golf ball hit so hard that it made a spark or something? I sure am happy that I don't live out there, because between the earth quakes, forest fires, and land slides, I am pretty sure that property and life insurance is extremely high out there. I guess some brilliant individual will have to create a fire proof golf ball now (lol).

It wasn't the ball its self that created the fire. When the guy swung his rod (I forget what it's called), it hit a rock, and that started the fire. But that's if I remember correctly. I do remember something about a rock.

Yes, hitting the right kind of rock with something metal will definatly make a spark. It doesn't even have to be a flint rock. And with me around, no telling what kind of bonfire would be started! I did finally manage to burn off the last few little piles of debris in my flower bed without incidence, but while I was working on that hubby came along with his welding torches to work on cutting up an old hay baler we are hauling off for scrap metal, and he started a nice grass fire. Guess he's taking up my bad habits. At least we got it out before anything was burned up.