xisto Community
NNNOOOOOO

What's That Type Of Music That Only Uses Sharps And Flats On Piano & Related

I'm using it in my current music project. Also, does it use just one octave? Because mine stretches across 2 or 3. Lastly, with a tempo of 90, how many measures might you guess would take to have 3-4 minutes of music?

I'm using it in my current music project. Also, does it use just one octave? Because mine stretches across 2 or 3. Lastly, with a tempo of 90, how many measures might you guess would take to have 3-4 minutes of music?

4 Minutes x 90 Beats x 1 Measure            --------   ------- = 90 Measures             Minute    4 Beats

3 Minutes x 90 Beats x 1 Measure            --------   ------- = 67.5 Measures             Minute    4 Beats

I don't know what you mean by type of music that uses only sharps and flats. You mean music using a scale that contains only sharps and flat notes? Sorry I don't understand.

4 Minutes x 90 Beats x 1 Measure            --------   ------- = 90 Measures             Minute    4 Beats
3 Minutes x 90 Beats x 1 Measure            --------   ------- = 67.5 Measures             Minute    4 Beats

I don't know what you mean by type of music that uses only sharps and flats. You mean music using a scale that contains only sharps and flat notes? Sorry I don't understand.
When I say only sharps and flats, I mean that the scale is only sharps. But depending on how you look at them, the sharps are also flats (because of the piano right). And as for the math, thanks for the help. Can you tell me what you did in the math?

Type of music? Bagpipe music springs to mind....the naturals all sound flat anyway :-)
Seriously, all black?...Chopin - Etudes Op 10. No 5 ?
With a tempo of 90 that would be 90*4 beats for a for minute tune. Depending on the time-sig then divide by 3 for 3/4 or 4 for 4/4 or 2 for 2/4 and end up with the number you first started with - around 90 bars...

When I say only sharps and flats, I mean that the scale is only sharps. But depending on how you look at them, the sharps are also flats (because of the piano right). And as for the math, thanks for the help. Can you tell me what you did in the math?

The math I did is common way to solve physics problems which you will probably learn if you haven't already.

Here's a simple math example.

You travel for 8 hours at a speed of 50Km/h. How far did you go?

For something this simple you could use d=vt (d = 50*8 = 400km).

You could also do this:

8 Hours x 50 Kilometers  = 400Kilometers            -----------             Hours

It's hard to explain on a computer, but the Hours crosses out (put a line through it) and you're left with Kilometers. You multiply going across and divide the numbers on the bottom.

It makes solving long physics or math problems a lot easier and it made calculating the measures easy.

Tempo is beats per minute

90BPM = 90 Beats per minute, 90 beats IN a minute.
There are four beats in one measure (normally)

Say you want a song to be 1563 minutes long at a tempo of insanely slow 30bpm.

1563 Minutes x 30 Beats x 1 Measure = 11722.5 Measures.                --------   ---------                1 Minutes    4 Beats

You multiply the things on the top, and divide by the things on the bottom, going from left to right.

1563 Minutes (x) 30 Beats (DIVIDE) 1 Minute (x) 1 Measure (DIVIDE) 4 Beats

But you really don't have to calculate the 1 because that's obvious. 1563 x 30 divided by 4.

It's pretty easy, but kind of hard to explain over the computer. If you're taking any physics or chemistry classes, you will probably learn it.

For simple calculations, Bikerman's 90x4/4 would work, but it's not so clearly understandable when you get into more complicated stuff.

The math I did is common way to solve physics problems which you will probably learn if you haven't already.
Here's a simple math example.

You travel for 8 hours at a speed of 50Km/h. How far did you go?

For something this simple you could use d=vt (d = 50*8 = 400km).

You could also do this:

8 Hours x 50 Kilometers  = 400Kilometers            -----------             Hours

It's hard to explain on a computer, but the Hours crosses out (put a line through it) and you're left with Kilometers. You multiply going across and divide the numbers on the bottom.

It makes solving long physics or math problems a lot easier and it made calculating the measures easy.

Tempo is beats per minute

90BPM = 90 Beats per minute, 90 beats IN a minute.
There are four beats in one measure (normally)

Say you want a song to be 1563 minutes long at a tempo of insanely slow 30bpm.

1563 Minutes x 30 Beats x 1 Measure = 11722.5 Measures.                --------   ---------                1 Minutes    4 Beats

You multiply the things on the top, and divide by the things on the bottom, going from left to right.

1563 Minutes (x) 30 Beats (DIVIDE) 1 Minute (x) 1 Measure (DIVIDE) 4 Beats

But you really don't have to calculate the 1 because that's obvious. 1563 x 30 divided by 4.

It's pretty easy, but kind of hard to explain over the computer. If you're taking any physics or chemistry classes, you will probably learn it.

For simple calculations, Bikerman's 90x4/4 would work, but it's not so clearly understandable when you get into more complicated stuff.
So tempo is just beats per minute. It makes a lot of sense now. And if it helps to know what type of instrument I'm using, it is a Vibraphone.

Huh? In what way is your method different?
Yes, you are cancelling units, but only because they DO cancel, having a common element (beats). It is just a longhand way of writing the same sum:
90 b/m * 3 mins =270 b Writing the longhand cancellation isn't required because we are already working with the same base unit (mins). If they were different then obviously you just insert the correct conversion multiple...I don't see what you are doing different...maybe I'm missing something...

Huh? In what way is your method different?

It just looks different, like you said. No big deal. I saw NOOOOO talking about taking a physics class a while ago, so I thought I'd give an example of how this 'longhand' method can be used outside of the classroom.

It just looks different, like you said. No big deal. I saw NOOOOO talking about taking a physics class a while ago, so I thought I'd give an example of how this 'longhand' method can be used outside of the classroom.

Ahh OK, I get you. Yes, it was worth explaining in that case - I was just puzzled because I thought I was missing something and, though I'm certainly not a mathematician, I can normally cope with the physics guys and gals over at my home forum (except when the particle physicists get onto their pet theories and start invoking E8 symmetry groups, or Lie groups - then I nod then a yes and get out quickly :-) ) Edited by Bikerman (see edit history)