xisto Community
Jonnyabc

I Need Some Really Simple...desktop Software Whats the best RSS aggragator around?

Hey there. I'm looking for an RSS reader...yes, I do know about Google Reader, and I'll take that if I have to. However, I'm curious if I can find a decent desktop / system tray program that will flash up news from various sources. At the moment, using my Facebook wall with Digsby seems to be my best best shot, but I don't want to constantly see all those feeds when I log into Facebook.Keep in mind this is for an XP on my work PC...no Google Gadgets or Yahoo! Widgets to slow down the computer please. I'd just like to find a nice service similar but separate to Facebook / Google Reader that allows me to see them as they pop up. Filter words and the ability to see individual feeds as well as the entire set would be a plus. If it doesn't exist, guess I'll just have to create the program myself (not really, 'cause I don't have the time).Thanks!

Edited by Jonnyabc (see edit history)

RSSReader? (http://www.rssreader.com/). Opera browser has a built in RSS Reader which seems to work decent and fast but it's not the best. Maybe Firefox has some RSS reading extensions that would work good. I'm sure there are loads of options out there. Just depends what would be best for your needs.

I used feeddemon for most of my needs. Though i no longer track blogs and news anymore on desktop. I still have feedemon installed on my system. It is simple RSS reader with subscription and update capability. You can sort and manage the RSS feeds. This is enough for most of the RSS needs that you have.

Another one that i have tried is Nutshell. It's simple and free software. There is not much of features in comparison to feedemon. You can check nutshell from nearlogic.com website. I'm not sure if you like this reader or not. So i suggest using feedemon for your desktop.

There is also one list where you can find the list of the RSS reader desktop software for various platform. Check the list here. I hope that helps get you busy for a while.