xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
zanzibarjones

A.d.d. And Visual Learning

I have been living with ADD all of my life. My children have it, and I get frustrated about how the school systems treat children with ADD.My children are not dumb, not mentally deficient, they just learn differently. Most children with ADD learn visually or hands on. It is easier for a them to learn because kids with ADD think in pictures. It's a kind of autism (high fucntioning autism)So why have the school system not picked up on that yet. Why have they not changed their curriculum to meet the needs of those kids that have ADD. What do you think?

I think since it is a rare decease, or maybe not rare but not a large amount of kids have it in the same community, it's really hard for the government to change a whole curriculum that would affect thousands of kids for just a small amount of kids, and off course even if they could, they just don't want to spend that money. It is hard for parents of kids with special needs to find the right space in the regular education system for their kids, and it's frustrating I think because you don't want your kids to be treated different, but that's why there are special schools for kids with special needs, so they receive the attention and the dedication that they need, I don't believe they can't learn, they do learn, but just in a different way, and I think that's something that people has to learn so more doors open for the families. I have seen documentaries about kids with autism that after having special education they develop enough skills to live a fairly normal life, so it is possible with the proper education to enrich these families and specially the kid's life quality.