xisto Community
zanzibarjones

Would You Give A Beggar Money? If you had very little yourself.

Well this is going to be broken into a multipart question I guess, with 2 possible view points on 2 possible answers.I am not rich. As a matter of fact I am losing my job in 2 weeks.... but the other day, I was on my way home, and there was a gentleman on the corner of a stop light begging for money. His sign read, "Just doing what is needed to take care of my family"I felt bad for him, and gave him all the change I had in the car. Now I had a 20 spot in my wallet, but I needed that for gas, so I could get to work the next day. But i figured I didn't need the change, and it was about $5. So I asked his name, told him i would pray for him, gave the change to him, told him, "God Bless", and drove on.Now my question is... would you have done the same thing if you were me? You didn't have a lot of spare money, but felt for the guy.Do you believe in "Paying it forward" or giving from the goodness of your heart?Would you have given it to him, because you are religious and believe that giving is the right thing to do?Would you have giving it to him, if you had a boatload of money?What are your thoughts?

I don't really see how religion figures. Yes, I probably would have given him some money. I generally do if I can, but I prefer my charitable donations to be more focussed if possible, which is why I have a monthly arrangement.And no, I am not religious.

I have split thoughts on this one..1. I will give him the money but only a small amount maybe $2.00 then ask his name and home if he have a home.2. I will ignore the man..This is case to case basis since some people just goes down to begging than to work for money. On my country, some people beg for money on streets just and can be spotted on bars drinking booze at night.Asking a person's name builds connection, asking him where he lived will potentially open up for more connections. There are a lot of ways to help a man, giving them spare money is the least effective. If that man shows you where he live, you can ask for local assistance via community volunteer groups to help that man stand on his feet again and be productive again.I don't have much cash but I can always invite 1-2 random stranger to a meal with me and still have around $5.00 spare. I always walk and rarely drive or ride public transports which is why I always have that extra cash.

you did the right thing zanzibarjones. and it is always refreshing to hear such stories because this means that there are some people care about others these days. away from religion, because all religions support such actions and ask for it. we as humans, we should take care of each others. when i walk in the street and see an old man or woman who is begging for food and i have a money, even a little, then i should give some to him or her. because simply this money i have may save that one's life or buy him or her food for that day. therefore, my answer is yes, i will always give money to beggars, because i am a human before being religious and i believe in helping others and believe in paying forward. i experienced that personally, if i helped a beggar with anything i can, it will be repayed for me later, in a way or another. it is something like following the goodness in our heart will bring more happiness in the long run.