xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kobra500

Things That Piss Me Off About Video Games

Now I love video games and gaming in General but there are certain things about certain games that annoy me and there is a pattern emerging that a large no. of games do the same thing that personally I hate, so I invite you to read my pet peeves and respond with what you think.A large no. of survival horrors that are out now, (Dead Space, Metro 33 etc) put you in the role of a character who does not have a face, I believe it is used to add atmosphere and help you absorb yourself into the character but it just doesn't work. Sometimes these characters don't have a name and only have a nickname, you may never see their face and in some cases they don't even speak so rather than make the game interesting you end up playing a character who is so utterly bland and inhuman that just seems to tag along with whatever is happening, never uttering a word, never having and opinion and is my idea of the most stupid protagonist ever, survival horror games never had this problem, look at resident evil or silent hill, each character had there own personality and there own charm and the game was still scary and thrilling, it doesn't improve anything to have a faceless character and I would much rather have someone with whom I know where I stand. Now there are other games that do this (RPG's often rightfully so) but most of the time, your character should have a personality, or at least have speech options that you can choose from.Missing a Co-op mode: Now I'm not saying that all games need or would be improved by a co-op mode, a lot of games are and should remain single player but there are so many games out there that are lacking a co-op mode where it would make so much sense and be so good to have one (not to mention easy to implement) that it really annoys me that they don't have it, I am a social gamer and I like to play games with friends, I would much rather play Halo for example with a friend than without one because playing with friends improves the experience. If you can implement a co-op mode easily without ruining the game then I think you should, look at CoD:MW2 there is barely a moment in that game where you aren't with at least one other squad member at least the lack of Co-op is a joke, and the replacement challenge mode is nothing to the real thing. DRM: Now this is perhaps the most annoying thing for a pc gamer that has come about, now I'm glad we've moved away from disc in the drive because frankly that is just inconvenient, and personally I think a one off online validation is fine but for heavens sake having to be online to use features is ridiculous, Starcraft II has no offline Skirmish (without a mod) and Assassins Creed 2 can only be played whilst online it's frankly a joke, and the worst part is that it's only going to get cracked anyway. What's the point, you aren't achieving anything but pissing off your customers and turning pirates into heroes, which is the opposite of what you want. If you want to lessen the effect of piracy on your games, become more respectable, people are less likely to take from those they respect and EA, Ubisoft, Activision etc you have not earned this respect.Also people if you're going to play an online game on a console, splash out a few pennies and buy a microphone, seriously, if you're not going to talk what's the point of playing most games online, people want to discuss tactics, meet new people and have a laugh whilst playing a game and it adds another element of fun to the game.So yeah they're all I can think of, if you have any comments let me know and if you have any things that piss you off about video games then let me know.

Out of the three issues you've mentioned, I feel only the DRM one is the one thing that irritates a majority of the gamers. As for the remaining two, well, it's just a matter of personal choice. The developers naturally take the bigger picture into perspective and design the game in a way which they feel will appeal to most of the audience. They know they can't please everyone, but they just try to reach out to the maximum number of people, and this is why things like co-op mode are missing from most of the games. Coming back to DRM, I think it's silly and idiotic. The video game industry doesn't seem to have learnt anything from the music industry which has successfully failed in implementing DRM. Music sales are now threatened due to the restrictions put in by DRM, and now video games seem to be going the same way as well. I haven't played a PC game released after 2007 because my system doesn't have the config required, but in every magazine that I read, gamers have been complaining about the DRM restrictions heavily. Ubisoft's rule that the gamer must be online as long as the game is being played is really idiotic. What about users who don't have an unlimited internet connection? They will be facing heavy bandwidth losses. And it's also being said that pirated versions of these games do not have this requirement at all! So DRM itself is encouraging piracy! So far the only real issue about games that's bugging me is that with each year, PC gamers are required to update their PC configs to play their favourite games. I bought my PC in 2002 and it was able to run games until 2007. Such a thing seems impossible nowadays with every new game raising the bar even higher. I just hope this is sorted out and gamers aren't required to update their PCs for atleast 2-3 years in a row.