xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

Reducing Internet Connection Of Other Computer Connected To Lan

i want to reduce the speed of internet connection of the pc of my stupid cousins connected to my router. is it possible to reduce their speed using my computer only ? if possible how ? pls give me a step by step instruction thanks

Yes, it's possible but it depends on the router that you have. I'm familiar with Linksys routers and there are some routers that have QOS (Quality of Service) feature. With QoS, you can switch the priority level of users, applications and ports on all computers connected to your network. However, most SOHO (Small Office, Home Office) routers don't allow you to specify the bandwidth usage. Instead you are only given HIGH or LOW priority. First check if your router supports QoS. I'm sure it's mentioned in the router's tech spec. For setting up QoS, you may need to set a static IP Address on the your cousin's computers. Or if your router allows it, you can do it just by specifying the MAC Address of your cousin's computer. There might be other ways to do it but since you mentioned having a router, I would recommend looking at this option first. So I can give you more information about this, please provide more information like your routers Brand and Model Number.

Click on start.... Run... Type gpedit.msc and enter...In gpedit under computer configuration click on network and then Qos Packet scheduler....Click on reservable bandwidth and then enable the setting and set the amount to 10 %, Apply and close gpedit....Try and download a file and measure the speed......This is sure to restrict high bandwidth usage...Get back and tell me if if works or of you need any help....