xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sheepdog

Scary Near Disaster!

Earlier this afternoon I was back here in the back room checking my email and actually getting ready to log into Xisto, when I started hearing this strange popping sound coming from the kitchen. It sounded like bacon frying. I really wasn't paying a lot of attention at first, then I got to thinking, it's been quite awhile since hubby had started fixing his lunch, he should of already had it cooked by now, so eventually I got up and headed back to the kitchen to see what the noise was. As soon as I stepped out of the computer room and into the hallway I knew we were in serious trouble. Guess it hit hubby at about the same time because we both hit the kitchen at the same time. By now the flames were shooting up from the stove and already hitting the ceiling! House was rapidly filling up with smoke and the flames were huge! He had fried some bacon and forgot to shut the stove off and the bacon grease had caught fire and was really blazing away. We had a devil of a time getting it out, only towel handy at first was a small light weight tea towel, it simply added to the blaze. Hubby went to throwing salt on it and I ran to the hallway closet to get a bigger towel, got it wet and then he threw it over the fire and we finally got it out. I guess we were really lucky we didn't burn the whole dang house down. It was bad enough that it melted all the knobs off the stove. My ceiling and cabinets are black now, but they will wash hopefully. I was worried about the stove, especially since the micro wave had also quit on us this week, but we tried it later this evening after we came home from voting (hope all of you got out and did your duty!) Figured we'd go vote and let the house air out. Anyway, it does still work, you just can't tell what the knobs are for, or what temprature your trying for. This has really been a tough week. The heat has been awful, and hard to deal with, and then a few days ago I fell threw a rotten board on our back deck and really brused myself up bad. I couldn't do much for a few days. I was lucky I didn't break my leg, or hit nails in the deck. But I don't ever remember ever having bruses make me sick though. My stomack was queasy and I had a lot of heat in my leg in the area around the bruses. They felt like hot packs. It was really weird. I certainly hope next week gets better. At the rate things are going here I am getting to the point where I am afraid to get out of bed in the morning!

GOD sheepdog :o this is really scary, i am really glade you are fine honey. take care next time please, fire is the worst disaster we may deal with inside the house. i remember once i saw the fires getting out from my pan, real high. i was frying something :) but it was small fire according of what you experienced. but i really freaked out and couldn't move. hope things will be fine for you from now on, again please take care next time.

You are lucky you still have a roof over your head. If you have your headphone, imagine what would have happened, the unthinkable. You must be thanking your lucky stars that you are still able to relate your story here.

Thanks guys!Amazingly enough, I am still with you all! A wonder the way things were going last week. Like I didn't have enough problems, a thunderstorm/lighting took out my computer modem, so I was off line for awhile. I sure would like to have a change of luck for the better. My leg looks better, the brusing is not so noticable, but it still hurts and I can feel lumps in it. I never understood the thing about the meek inheriting the earth. Seems like if you aren't tougher than nails, you could never survive what life hands out, the meek wouldn't stand a chance and the human race would become extinct. :rolleyes: