xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
webbee

How Do I Get Started On Building A Website?

Hi! I am entirely new to web development though I have some computer knowledge. I have a registered Domain name but dont know what to do with it and where to take start to get my site online. please anyone help me to take start to get my site hosted somewhere and develop some pages. I actually want to make an Auction site.

If you're doing an auction site you are pretty much required to use a VPS or Dedicated server. You'll need it if the site gets large because of the amount of power/bandwidth you'll be using for it.

There are some auction site scripts and classified ads scripts. Check if those scripts suits your needs. Once you install that script, get things going by making dummy bids. Once you do that, it's time to get publicity and traffic. Once you get atleast 1000 visitors a day then it's time to move to VPS or dedicated server. Make sure you sign up to host which offers both shared, VPS and dedicated services for the cost that you can afford.

Thanks for your response frenz. As I already mentioned that I am new to web development. Just teach me please that how do I put my domain on some free server and have its access. I need to learn some skill first and then move to complex Auction scripts. Actually I do not want bidding facility at the moment. The site just should be able to post an add from the seller.

Hi! I am entirely new to web development though I have some computer knowledge. I have a registered Domain name but dont know what to do with it and where to take start to get my site online. please anyone help me to take start to get my site hosted somewhere and develop some pages. I actually want to make an Auction site.

So, first you should get a hosting. Although rpgsearcherz recommended Virtual Private Servers or Dedicated servers, it all depends on your starting point. It's maybe better for you not to go down that road right away, since you most probably won't get a million users a month right away. It's best if you pick a reasonable monthly bandwidth (no one can tell you what that is exactly, but depending on various parameters you shouldn't go below 50 GB) and upgrade if needed.

But that's not your primary concern now, since you first must decide how you want the site to work; how do you want to appear to the public (fun, serious, or something in between), and what's your targeted market (obviously, if you were to sell houses young teenage girls wouldn't be someone you'd want to appeal to primarily).

Now, honestly - I don't see that you really know what you're getting into, or what you want off of your site. For one, you must realise this is not a $100 dollar job. There's hosting fees (some dedicated servers go as high as $40-$50 and more dollars a month), then there's design fees (and if you want a quality guy like Jason Santa Maria or Elliot Jay Stocks, you must be prepared for at least $2500) and development fees (the guys I listed before can do most of the development, too - for a reasonable add-on fee, of course), advertising fees (it's up to you where to advertise, but ideally you want to start off big - with premier ad networks such as "The Deck" or "Fusion ads") and more unplanned expenses which can (and probably will) appear somewhere along the way.

All in all, you should be prepared for (a) large expenses in front, before even starting and putting the website up and running and (B) a lot of work, calling people, preparing for the launch and brainstorming.

If you really want to do it, you must prepare for a big fight since sites like eBay already have made a name for themselves and you're just starting out - which means, you must offer something unique in order to be recognized.

Good luck with that but, as I said once before, without a clear goal in your mind and without being prepared to spend (lots of) money before actually starting to earn something, there's very little chance you'll do something that matters.

Once you have your domain name and the hosting plan, you have to think about the topic of your website like you know if you want a mp3 website or a warcraft website so you have to think this before once you have thougth about the topic you have to research if you can design the website or you will have to buy or get a PHP script to build your website. For example I imagine that you know about the Rapidshare.com website. As you know Rapidshare is a hosting website where you can upload your sites for free, in some cases. The admin of Rapidshare for example thougth in build this website like a hosting site. So the only way to make this type of site is with a PHP script that you can get for free in the internet(not recommended, bugs), pay to somebody to build this site for you or you can build your own site(recommended) but only if you have knowledge about PHP design and you know the entire programming language. As you see start your own site is not an easy work but you have to spend hours building it so the reward in the future can be great. Your own website needs visitors but that is another topic but I recommend you to read a good SEO book and start to make the changes to the site to be in the top 10 for the different keywords in Google and the others search engines. So once you have built your site you need to get traffic and you need to make the scheduled changes in the time like knowlegsutra did with the change of the domain name Xisto.com to Xisto.com with a new design. This is critical because the people tends to get bored with the same design of the site and they start to go away and don?t visit the website with the same regularity like before.So this is some advices you can use to get your website online and have a lot of opportunities to get a lot of traffic and you website have a lot of lifetime.Bye.

Once you have your domain name and the hosting plan, you have to think about the topic of your website like you know if you want a mp3 website or a warcraft website so you have to think this before once you have thougth about the topic you have to research if you can design the website or you will have to buy or get a PHP script to build your website. For example I imagine that you know about the Rapidshare.com website. As you know Rapidshare is a hosting website where you can upload your sites for free, in some cases. The admin of Rapidshare for example thougth in build this website like a hosting site. So the only way to make this type of site is with a PHP script that you can get for free in the internet(not recommended, bugs), pay to somebody to build this site for you or you can build your own site(recommended) but only if you have knowledge about PHP design and you know the entire programming language. As you see start your own site is not an easy work but you have to spend hours building it so the reward in the future can be great. Your own website needs visitors but that is another topic but I recommend you to read a good SEO book and start to make the changes to the site to be in the top 10 for the different keywords in Google and the others search engines. So once you have built your site you need to get traffic and you need to make the scheduled changes in the time like knowlegsutra did with the change of the domain name Xisto.com to Xisto.com with a new design. This is critical because the people tends to get bored with the same design of the site and they start to go away and donĀ“t visit the website with the same regularity like before.
So this is some advices you can use to get your website online and have a lot of opportunities to get a lot of traffic and you website have a lot of lifetime.

Bye.

Thanks for your time.

For the start just tell me how to put domain on some free hosting place and upload a single index.html page. The rest of the story would come after.
Thanks