xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
NNNOOOOOO

Windows Vista Standby Mode Problems. high CPU usage

When Vista leaves "standby" mode, all CPU power is used. It will eat all CPU for about 00:01:10 (1 minute, 10 seconds). When the problem happened a few time, I thought "registry needs fixed". I used "Ccleaner" to fix it, and deleted temporary file too. Problem still persists.

Standby mode on Vista has always been bugged. Sleep is too if I remember right (fixing those were huge "benefits" of upgrading to Windows 7).It's just the way Vista manages things -- that's why you should either use XP or 7.

I thought I managed to work around the issue by putting Vista to Hibernate rather than Sleep. If I was going to conserve any energy by placing Vista machine to Sleep, mind as well turn it off or Hibernate.I find Hibernating very usefully for my traveling laptop. No need to wait for 68 seconds+ boot up time.

I thought I managed to work around the issue by putting Vista to Hibernate rather than Sleep. If I was going to conserve any energy by placing Vista machine to Sleep, mind as well turn it off or Hibernate.
I find Hibernating very usefully for my traveling laptop. No need to wait for 68 seconds+ boot up time.

Just what i was going for....

I do the same with my Hp mini which takes like ages to load windows xp..... I set it to hibernate and the system starts up like 60% faster along with all the programs and information that was left open when i set it on hibernate.....

Vista is a freakishly error filled Os just like windows Me....

I remember when i used to use Win Me for my school work... It would crash like 2 times in a month with a fatal error requiring a format.....

Just what i was going for....
I do the same with my Hp mini which takes like ages to load windows xp..... I set it to hibernate and the system starts up like 60% faster along with all the programs and information that was left open when i set it on hibernate.....

Vista is a freakishly error filled Os just like windows Me....

I remember when i used to use Win Me for my school work... It would crash like 2 times in a month with a fatal error requiring a format.....

The problem with hibernate instead of sleep/standby, is that this PC is the family PC. I only use hibernate on my PC running XP.

What is the total RAM in the Vista system?The machine I had problem with only had 1GB RAM. It would go to standby and when it woke up the harddrive light wouldn't let up until about a minute or two. Do you have enough RAM?

I wonder if you were to upgrade your RAM to 2GB or greater...would solve your issue?I have no plans to upgrade my Vista machine because it's for Excel and few office programs. So people have learned to deal with its slowness. Let us know if RAM upgrade helps from freezing.

1 gig ram, 2 gig cpu.

Vista needs 2GB of RAM as minimum and since you are running on 50% of the minimum RAM required, almost all of your RAM data was written to disk and swapping this back and forth causes the CPU spike. Vista may claim to use less than 2GB but it always use 2GB. I once used Vista on 2 GB and I really applied cracks to fix this CPU spikes.

Windows 7 is a better version from Vista, when you go hibernate.. It will write the RAM data as page files optimized for reading later. And when you have less than 2GB as system RAM, you will only get random spikes for 2-8secs while page files are being swapped from disk to memory. Just be sure not to go hibernate while running CPU intensive softwares or running flash softwares or you may see freezing or your system will hang.

This also applies on standby mode. :D
Edited by vhortex (see edit history)

It (the PC) came preloaded with Vista. It also came with 5 or 7 system discs. Right on the case, it says it was designed for Vista.

It (the PC) came preloaded with Vista. It also came with 5 or 7 system discs. Right on the case, it says it was designed for Vista.

Most manufacturers just say it is vista compatible because they are using the pre-released specs that was handed out by Microsoft which is 70% less than what Vista really needs. However as standardization aspect of Microsoft (which is not to follow standard) they changed the base libraries and change the spec 2 months before launching. This is already too late for hardware vendors and computer manufacturers to redo the hardware and the bundling also the software driver. This made everything as bad as hell in terms of stability.

Vista is project longhorn which was rewritten when they have some open source stuff and put them together in the kernel like the Frankenstein monster in movies. :D

Windows 7 however, they released almost everything transparently including notices of base library changes. This made installation of Windows 7 almost non problematic except on the shadow sector aspect.

IBM Lenovo even released laptops with 564MB RAM on my country because Microsoft released a minimum spec of 400MB to run Windows Vista. IBM just gives an option to upgrade to 1GB when buying the laptop. Well, they are literally been pulled out and everyone who wants to get hold of the unit are given the choice to have 50% discount on the next purchase which we grab at work. It's hard to collect 20 laptops and return them in bulk when the users are on business travels around the globe. We do managed to run Vista buy opening the laptop Assembly and replacing the base memory module with 2GB RAM from Kingston giving us 2GB base RAM and 1GB RAM on the memory upgrade slot. Warranty was voided but we have no choice since IBM will accept it as bulk returned item since we also got them in bulk purchase. Next model anyway comes out 4months later :D