xisto Community
Little Asterisk

Google To Improve Image Search

Information from Google's Blogspot blog indicates that there'll be some cool improvements in the Google Image Search showcase.

Firstly, we won't be looking at ugly text anymore, but the images will be presented in the form of a nice grid, which in turn allows for more images to be displayed in a single page.

Posted Image

They say that they'll also be utilizing keyboard shortcuts in the new layout (like Page Down/Page up keys), probably for faster scrolling through pages.

The full list of new stuff follows:

Instant scrolling between pages

Larger thumbnail previews

A hover pane, which gives you a large preview upon mouse hover

A new landing page, which means no more click-click-get to image. Now you only have to pick the image once.

Dense tiled layout

There'll also be some new kind of image advertisement, but you can read all about it on the Google blog.

I just hope this search feature doesn't restrict dial up and slow internet connection users from searching. I see that new google search page is ajax based and takes some time to load. I hope they don't screw up with this new search improvements with too much ajax.

i like this feature, i use google search A LOT, especially google image search. so adding anew feature will make things more fun and easy, as i hope. but not more slow loading. i already have a slow internet connection. anyway,thank you for sharing little asterisk :) .

i like this feature, i use google search A LOT, especially google image search. so adding anew feature will make things more fun and easy, as i hope. but not more slow loading. i already have a slow internet connection. anyway,thank you for sharing little asterisk :) .

You're welcome, web_designer. :)

I also think this will improve Google search.

The looks are great... quite impressive really. But, it always come handy to know from which page it comes from and the size, don't you think?It would be much better if they added just a thin bar at the bottom, like a second status bar that are so popular these days (like Facebook's bottom bar but not that intrusive), only to show the file size, resolution and website...I don't know, I just wanted to share this idea, as I see every that Google search going bloated more and more, full of ajax stuff, news headlines, images inline, even Twitter updates on a topic! And I often just want to get to a site I'm searching for, but no, wait, I have to scroll down the page because of this new "features"! :angry: (I felt I had to leave the record that I complain when functionality because of design... now I'll stop whining.)

I tried it, and its awesome! But maybe I'm imagining it but google always has a way of making people say "Wow!" even if they are not the first ones to introduce something to the world. For all you know, there might be a hundred other search engines out there that have a better way of displaying images but google is the one that gets a Wow! But yes, I do like the new interface for ONE reason(ya just one). I don't have to go page by page. One scroll bar and thats it. Makes it easier for me. Though, I'm sure dial-up users will be cursing google right now.

I really don't like the new look, and I prefer the old way. If something is not broke, than it shouldn't be fixed. It Google Images was more simple before, and that is how most people like it. It seems like websites are trading in simplicity and becoming more complicated. Even face book recently redesigned their events page, when it was in fact already fine.

So, I've also checked out the current version of Google search, and my feeling is both good and "bad", but I still think they've made a great job with it. At first, the search seems a bit slower since they need to load at least two pages of images (as it seems to me) and prepare the neat effects, but after that it's excellent! Pages after that load very fast, images become a bit bigger upon scrolling, and the information also appears when you hover.It's cool that it shows the page number above the images, and the effects are neat (not that the overall feel wouldn't work without them). I don't know about someone who has a faster internet connection, but now it seems as if the "next step" (the "between-image") loads a bit slower, but perhaps it's because of my internet speed (slowness).As I said, I'm having mixed feelings about this and I'm going to have to start using it for some time to make a final decision.

This is a very cool change. I don't see why they usually have all the text anyways -- when I'm looking for pictures/images my goal is to find pictures/images, not to find text.I hope they add options on how many to display at once though -- it would suck to be in an area with a semi-slow connection and be forced to load 50 images at once.

Reviving this topic which almost became dead (outrage! :D), Google also is considering improving the "regular" Web search in the browser. It should have an Ajax-like functionality, where the results would update as soon as you would type a term into the search bar.Now, I am more sceptical about this "feature" than the image search (turn out to be quite OK), but we shall see what they will bring us. Fingers crossed!Until we can see and test the new search bar features in action, we can only feast (I hope that's the right word :D) our eyes on this demonstration (I hope it doesn't take too much bandwidth or PC power to actually load the results in an environment like that):http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Reviving this topic which almost became dead (outrage! :D), Google also is considering improving the "regular" Web search in the browser. It should have an Ajax-like functionality, where the results would update as soon as you would type a term into the search bar.
Now, I am more sceptical about this "feature" than the image search (turn out to be quite OK), but we shall see what they will bring us. Fingers crossed!

Until we can see and test the new search bar features in action, we can only feast (I hope that's the right word :D) our eyes on this demonstration (I hope it doesn't take too much bandwidth or PC power to actually load the results in an environment like that):

This could actually defeat my ONLY point of going to Google.com to search for things... because it used to be soo dam SIMPLE. Now everything like Search background and stuff are coming in and I might as well switch to Bing.

And I also find that this could INCREASE the bandwidth usage and server strain on Google by at least 10x on Google's servers since instead of doing 1 search for your keyword, it now has to do multiple searches for the keywords as you type them... I don't see how this is ever going to work.

This could actually defeat my ONLY point of going to Google.com to search for things... because it used to be soo dam SIMPLE. Now everything like Search background and stuff are coming in and I might as well switch to Bing.
And I also find that this could INCREASE the bandwidth usage and server strain on Google by at least 10x on Google's servers since instead of doing 1 search for your keyword, it now has to do multiple searches for the keywords as you type them... I don't see how this is ever going to work.

I don't believe they would publish this new search without extensive testing on how it would impact different browsers, Operating Systems, bandwidths, even PC configurations. It COULD become worse, but - knowing that they (Google) wouldn't put their reputation (as a search engine) at stake just to publish a "new cool feature" - I don't think it will.

I also believe that Google will provide you with the possibility of going back to the "old" way of searching the web because; let's face it, a lot of people might feel intimidated by the new technology (maybe not intimidated, but rather unfamiliar). Just look at how they handled background images for their homepage ( if you don't know, the option was a default for a few days until a vast amount of searches on Google was related to "How to remove the background image from Google homepage" :D ). It still exists, but it's just buried somewhere inside.

Excellent man I am happy for this new and now the image search will be easier than ever and this service of search images is very needed for all of us. Google is always changing and going better and It?s excellent I watched in CNN that the tool Google wave have failed because it had no the impact that Google thougth that it could be had. But now the Google owners decide to give the code to the GNU free project so the Google wave is now in open code to all the users like Mozilla Firefox and I like this way to do the things of Google that the things that failed in their strategies of sell some products they inmediately give to the entire world the font code of the program to free use from all the internauts. So I am happy to hear that Google is improving the Image Search and this maybe will be great for all of us who use a lot of images for presentations and graphic design. Bye.

Lol, one minute I was using the normal google and then the next second "Google Instant" pops up. The feature became public yesterday and I have been using Instant search very since. It's pretty great and I doesn't slow it down one bit -- i guess I was wrong :D With the background images and Instant search, who the heck want's to search on Bing or especially Yahoo! now? The only drawback is the little white space on the left hand of the page... it bothers me a bit, but thats all :)

Lol, one minute I was using the normal google and then the next second "Google Instant" pops up. The feature became public yesterday and I have been using Instant search very since. It's pretty great and I doesn't slow it down one bit -- i guess I was wrong :D With the background images and Instant search, who the heck want's to search on Bing or especially Yahoo! now? The only drawback is the little white space on the left hand of the page... it bothers me a bit, but thats all :)

Yeah, it seems pretty good for me, too. Guess technological advancement does do good for Google :)