xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
tinoymalayil

Python Programming Feel Some Differences..

Hi All,I am completly new to Python programming.Before some days, I got the python from python's website.We don't need to declare the data types for int,float ,char etc.Python will convert automatically to its datatype. It's a good idea.In C,C++,java we need to declare its type.One another doubt is that, I saw one other python distribution from activestate website.What is the difference between an ordinary python distribution and an active python?.Can you reply your ideas.Will you help me how to learn python more.Can you suggets any tutorial resources...Regards

Well, Active state Python is more for Windows users, it includes an installer and installs everything on Windows with windows extensions, it's much easier for you to use it. As I know, there doesn't seem to be more serious differences from the python.org which is good for using it with Linux, maybe just expect SSL integration..The programming is still the same :)

What is the difference between an ordinary python distribution and an active python?

Activestate python installer is created to attract users towards activestate IDE. That is why they're offering the free product. That IDE supports a lot of features and there is community support and service for that product. There is nothing much in free installer but their main product is the IDE. Even official installer will be enough for you. If you're using windows then you should download official installer And unless you're interested in community support and script sharing then and only then active state installer makes worth a download. I can't say that activestate is more for windows users etc but most of the linux distros comes up with python installed by default. That is the one reason i see why activestate isn't releasing their installer for python.

Activestate python installer is created to attract users towards activestate IDE. That is why they're offering the free product. That IDE supports a lot of features and there is community support and service for that product. There is nothing much in free installer but their main product is the IDE. Even official installer will be enough for you. If you're using windows then you should download official installer And unless you're interested in community support and script sharing then and only then active state installer makes worth a download. I can't say that activestate is more for windows users etc but most of the linux distros comes up with python installed by default. That is the one reason i see why activestate isn't releasing their installer for python.

Hi mahesh and Quadrux,
Thanks for the info.I never used the active state python.Python from the python.com website is also coming with an IDE.it's having python documents too.Python documents are helpful to learn this.

Tinoymalayil,When you mentioned about the integrated development environment (IDE) included with the Python that you downloaded from the Python.com website (do you mean Python.org?), are you referring to the IDLE development environment? It is quite useful when learning Python and it feels a lot like GW-BASIC from the yesteryears. Anyway, I hope you have fun coding Python. There is definitely lots that you can do with it.