xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rpgsearcherz

Mycent Update Calculations [resolved]

I've seen quite a few threads asking about the updates and why some get them and others don't. Hopefully this information will help you understand why that is, although it is not deemed to be correct until OpaQue states so (though I am almost 100% positive it is, based on prior posts from OpaQue regarding the system and its calculations).The way the script seems to work is the following (this may not be correct, but it's how it seems to work):You make 50 posts, the system does the update and calculates your mycents based on those 50 postsYou make 20 more, the system recalculates based on 70 posts and then subtracts your total mycents earned from before. This is your new addition.You have 5 posts deleted and make 10 more, the system recalculates based on (50 + 20 + 10 - 5) and then subtracts all of your previously earned mycents.Please understand that in the number of posts, it is not based on the actual number. I just mean it's calculating those posts. Such as if you earned 5, 17, 21, 3, and 8 mycents for the first 5 posts, the "5" just represents the total calculation there (5+17+21+3+8).In other words, it is always doing full recalculations of everything on the forums. Spam posts/deleted posts would be factored in during the next "run" of the script, which is how you can go into negative (which Opaque stated will not remove funds from your Xisto account, just your mycents on the forums until you clear them again).This should help explain (if you have any posts removed) why you may not be getting updates. It should clear up confusion from the few people here who are also trying to spam in some posts and not in others, in an attempt to not get docked for it.

Not even close, post count is not even a factor, granted it is used to start the MyCent update, but the number of posts needed to update it is impractical as it kind of defeats the purpose of MyCent system altogether. MyCent is calculated by characters in the post itself and it does the same calculation when a post gets deleted.

Not even close, post count is not even a factor, granted it is used to start the MyCent update, but the number of posts needed to update it is impractical as it kind of defeats the purpose of MyCent system altogether. MyCent is calculated by characters in the post itself and it does the same calculation when a post gets deleted.

You misinterpreted the post. Instead of reading it as 50 posts, read it as 50,000 characters then.

I was using posts because it's a much smaller number and I was hoping to avoid confusion.

The updates aren't based on *anything* other than when the script is run. I was just trying to explain why peoples' mycents fluctuate from time to time. In that, I used the assumption that they had made 50 posts before the first update. Whether those were worth 1 mycent or 50 mycents each is irrelevant -- the fact is they were counted. When 5 were counted as spam, those 5 were removed from the mycents earned (again, the amount is irrelevant, the fact is whatever the total counted as spam was, is removed from the total earned).

I wasn't insinuating that post count had anything to do with it.

Pretty much what I stated above is exactly what you responded with, only I used a real-world example to better help the reader visualize what is going on.

I think big paragraphs earlier used to give a lot of mycents. But now that is not the case. I have seen that 2-4 liners are giving better mycents in comparison to big paragraphs. And also if anyone is posting one liner then they're not getting much credit as per earlier mycent. Not sure what this mycent update. I pretty much agree with the first post about mycents information. It's just that none of us managed to understand how much weight there is for characters. I mean how many characters we need to enter for say X mycents. If we managed to know that then it'll be possible to figure out how to earn mycents effectively. There is already one thread that is going on about mean/average and now this thread about mycent update. Let's see if we can figure out few things by brainstorming about it.

I think big paragraphs earlier used to give a lot of mycents. But now that is not the case. I have seen that 2-4 liners are giving better mycents in comparison to big paragraphs. And also if anyone is posting one liner then they're not getting much credit as per earlier mycent. Not sure what this mycent update. I pretty much agree with the first post about mycents information. It's just that none of us managed to understand how much weight there is for characters. I mean how many characters we need to enter for say X mycents. If we managed to know that then it'll be possible to figure out how to earn mycents effectively.
There is already one thread that is going on about mean/average and now this thread about mycent update. Let's see if we can figure out few things by brainstorming about it.

The whole basis of the other thread is some kind of proportionality between the number of lines and myCents. If that's not true, I guess we are back to square one and need to wait for Opaque's comments to have any clue whatsoever.

The whole basis of the other thread is some kind of proportionality between the number of lines and myCents. If that's not true, I guess we are back to square one and need to wait for Opaque's comments to have any clue whatsoever.

Opaque already stated that the usefulness of threads has a weight now. More or less meaning if you make a post and nobody reads it (because it's trash) it has no real value. The ones tons of people visit have value because people view them as being more important.

So if someone writes 50 pages and has one person view it, and another writes one line but has 50k people view it, the one with one line should earn significantly more.

The whole basis of the other thread is some kind of proportionality between the number of lines and myCents. If that's not true, I guess we are back to square one and need to wait for Opaque's comments to have any clue whatsoever

Opaque will only make comments related to how we can earn mycents effectively. Opaque will not give us hints on these things. This is because if it goes in public then system can be abused. Therefore we have to figure that out on our own. As rpgsearcherz said, page views and rank has weight but i see that as no reason for update that is within 24 hours. Either that or those posts close to mycent update will be credited in next mycent update. In any case, that will not earn us much. One more thing is that our post in new forum are getting deleted so i think that will affect our earning as well.
I'm not sure if my this post gets approved so in that case how mycents will look for posts weight in sandbox ? or is it completely discarded and only posted replies are taken into consideration ?. Like this there are many questions in mind,let's see if i can find out how this whole thing works.

Opaque already stated that the usefulness of threads has a weight now. More or less meaning if you make a post and nobody reads it (because it's trash) it has no real value. The ones tons of people visit have value because people view them as being more important.
So if someone writes 50 pages and has one person view it, and another writes one line but has 50k people view it, the one with one line should earn significantly more.

That makes perfect sense. I love it that the new system is very smart! Not that I was part of the old system but still 'new' sounds good :D. So lets try to see what all factors we know contribute. I'm listing out what I know. In case I am wrong, please correct me.

1) Number of words in the post (All other factors being equal, it will still contribute)
2) Whether its a reply to a topic or a new thread (New topic = more value)
3) Number of views
4) Word formation (I'm not sure about this , I'm assuming it based on something I've read here)
5) Time taken to reply (From previous post I assume)
6) Value of links in the post (Maybe wikipedia, how do we ensure people don't spam this ? )

Am i missing something ? Are any of these totally off the mark ?

I think big paragraphs earlier used to give a lot of mycents. But now that is not the case. I have seen that 2-4 liners are giving better mycents in comparison to big paragraphs. And also if anyone is posting one liner then they're not getting much credit as per earlier mycent. Not sure what this mycent update. I pretty much agree with the first post about mycents information. It's just that none of us managed to understand how much weight there is for characters. I mean how many characters we need to enter for say X mycents. If we managed to know that then it'll be possible to figure out how to earn mycents effectively.
There is already one thread that is going on about mean/average and now this thread about mycent update. Let's see if we can figure out few things by brainstorming about it.

You're right - now it's not just about how long your post is. Actually I think V3 also took the 'usefulness' of the thread into consideration, but then if you had a very large post you could get away with earning a huge pile of cents! Now it's all about how useful the post is to the community and how many people like it, etc. All in all, the calculation has become way too complex and that's why I'm focusing on making posts instead of trying to figure out a way to make more myCENTs :P

Wow, that kinda sucks. Especially for me. We just don't have that many people here that are seriously into pets/dogs, and goat farmers are even in shorter supply! I have a tough enough time trying to write enough posts to keep up my web hosting as it is. This sure isn't going to help!

The Mycent script is intelligent and its runs with all the possible considerations like the characters of the post, the number of words, the rating of the post, if is a reply or a new topic but I think that it doesnt operate with the valuable links... I don?t think that we earn more Mycents when we put a link in our post or in our replies. Also the moderators play a critical part in the Mycent system because they report that topic that are considered like spam, copied and pasted from another parts of the internet and all that. Try to understand the Mycent system maybe is not possible but I am glad to see the ideas of some of the Xisto?s member and some of the ideas have a lot of sense.I don?t think that the Mycent system can difference a long paragraph with one liner and give more Mycents to the post with the long paragraph and a little Mycents with the post with one liner. Well, it?s my opinion.

This "MyCent" system really sounds interesting. I been trying to get it to work for quite a while, but I believe that a certain amount of post are required before you can begin to receive or see them. If your "MyCent" is based on the traffic and usefulness of your post, thank it brilliant. It actually reminds me of revenue sharing put in place by many freelance writing content websites such as Associated Content and Suite 101. I think that we should just take note of the beauty of the system and stop trying to figure it out :lol: I think the purpose of making credits based off of characters rather than post, was to simply stop spammers. If you look at most free hosting based forums who use post as a medium, they are spammed out. When you factor in characters and usefulness, even those who are simply in a community to get the benefits, will post useful information. So once again Kudos to Xisto!

Wait a minute. I've been thinking about this for awhile now. How can the amount of mycents be in any way based even in part, on the number of hits the post gets since we are usually credited and paid the mycents when we do a post shortly after the post is made? There's no way to know in advance how popular a topic is going to be until it is up on the forum for awhile.