xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
web_designer

How To Calculate The Average From Differnt Data Inputs...

ok, i am going to give you a headache about this issue, how to calculate the average of different data inputs?

the whole subject started when opaque announced that i earned 46 USD from 443 posts, and anwiii calculate the average of my ALL POSTS that they will be equal 10 cents for each post.

then i disagreed with him, because he can't assume that all my posts ARE EQUAL so he can't get the same average for all of them. i mean i may write a post or a topic about 2-3 lines and get 10 cents but definitely i will earn more if i wrote a post about 10-20 lines, regardless others factors that affect mycent system, because i am talking about mathematic in here. and i am considering only the long of the posts. i think getting the same average for all posts is wrong because according to anwiii's way i got 10 cents of ALL MY POSTS, either they are two lines long or twenty lines long.

now i have another way to calculate average for all posts but according th their value, by dividing them to groups ACCORDING TO THEIR AMOUNT OF LINES, multiply a certain ratio to each posts in a group like (0.5, 1, 2, 4) then use the new number to calculate the average of each post.

so i will assume that i have four groups:

group A: for post from 2-5 lines.

group B: for post from 5-10 lines.

group C: for post from 10-20 lines.

group D: for post from 20-40 lines.

And I will also assume that I have 400 posts and got 40$ dollars, I will distribute these 400 posts to each group as following:

Group A 70 posts

Group B 200 posts

Group C 100 posts

Group D 30 posts

I will assume that the value of each post depending on its amount of lines so I will give each group a certain ratio to get the average of each post according its value, it will be like this:

Group A each post will be multiply by 0.5

Group B each post will be multiply by 1

Group C each post will be multiply by 2

Group D each post will be multiply by 4

So now I will multiply the number of each posts in a group with its ratio to get a new number that represent the value of posts in that group.

70*0.5 =35

200*1 =200

100*2 =200

30*4 =120

I will get the summation of all of them and divide it by the amount of money I got (40$).

35+200+200+120 = 555

40/555 = 0.072

This number (0.072) is the value of each post according to its value.

Now to make sure that my math is correct then I should get something approximately to the amount of 40$, if I multiply this number with the number of posts in each group.

0.072 *35 = 2.52 the amount of $ for group A

0.072 *200 = 14.4 the amount of $ for group B

0.072 * 200 = 14.4 the amount of $ for group C

0.072 *120 = 8.64 the amount of $ for group D

And the summation of all these amounts should be approximating to 40$

2.52+14.4+14.4+8.64 = 39.96 ≈ 40$

Now I think that this math make sense because (70 posts) earned (2.52) because they contain only 2-3 lines, whereas (30 posts) earned (8.64) because they contain from 20-40 lines. Same thing for (200 posts) and the (100 posts) they earned the same because writing 200 posts from 5-10 lines should be equal writing 100 posts from 10-20 lines. I hope you get me here, and this proved my point.

it is something like calculating the students degrees in university, p mean the GPA, in the end of the year or the semester, each subject will be multiplying by the number of its hours a week to get a new number which mostly called points, then calculate the summation of the points of all the subjects, and divide the total of these points by the (the number of weekly hours of all subjects*100).

again please it is all about math and how to get the average of different data inputs, not about mycent.

so correct me if i am wrong please.

ok, i am going to give you a headache about this issue, how to calculate the average of different data inputs?

the whole subject started when opaque announced that i earned 46 USD from 443 posts, and anwiii calculate the average of my ALL POSTS that they will be equal 10 cents for each post.

then i disagreed with him, because he can't assume that all my posts ARE EQUAL so he can't get the same average for all of them. i mean i may write a post or a topic about 2-3 lines and get 10 cents but definitely i will earn more if i wrote a post about 10-20 lines, regardless others factors that affect mycent system, because i am talking about mathematic in here. and i am considering only the long of the posts. i think getting the same average for all posts is wrong because according to anwiii's way i got 10 cents of ALL MY POSTS, either they are two lines long or twenty lines long.

now i have another way to calculate average for all posts but according th their value, by dividing them to groups ACCORDING TO THEIR AMOUNT OF LINES, multiply a certain ratio to each posts in a group like (0.5, 1, 2, 4) then use the new number to calculate the average of each post.

so i will assume that i have four groups:

And I will also assume that I have 400 posts and got 40$ dollars, I will distribute these 400 posts to each group as following:

Group A 70 posts

Group B 200 posts

Group C 100 posts

Group D 30 posts

I will assume that the value of each post depending on its amount of lines so I will give each group a certain ratio to get the average of each post according its value, it will be like this:

So now I will multiply the number of each posts in a group with its ratio to get a new number that represent the value of posts in that group.

70*0.5 =35

200*1 =200

100*2 =200

30*4 =120

I will get the summation of all of them and divide it by the amount of money I got (40$).

35+200+200+120 = 555

40/555 = 0.072

This number (0.072) is the value of each post according to its value.

Now to make sure that my math is correct then I should get something approximately to the amount of 40$, if I multiply this number with the number of posts in each group.

0.072 *35 = 2.52 the amount of $ for group A

0.072 *200 = 14.4 the amount of $ for group B

0.072 * 200 = 14.4 the amount of $ for group C

0.072 *120 = 8.64 the amount of $ for group D

And the summation of all these amounts should be approximating to 40$

2.52+14.4+14.4+8.64 = 39.96 ≈ 40$

Now I think that this math make sense because (70 posts) earned (2.52) because they contain only 2-3 lines, whereas (30 posts) earned (8.64) because they contain from 20-40 lines. Same thing for (200 posts) and the (100 posts) they earned the same because writing 200 posts from 5-10 lines should be equal writing 100 posts from 10-20 lines. I hope you get me here, and this proved my point.

it is something like calculating the students degrees in university, p mean the GPA, in the end of the year or the semester, each subject will be multiplying by the number of its hours a week to get a new number which mostly called points, then calculate the summation of the points of all the subjects, and divide the total of these points by the (the number of weekly hours of all subjects*100).

again please it is all about math and how to get the average of different data inputs, not about mycent.

so correct me if i am wrong please.

Your basic logic seems fine but one problem is you are assuming that the only variable is the length of the post, which makes it a little flawed. There are other variables like post age (how much time after the post was created you replied) and maybe there are a bunch of other factors. Obviously, as Opaque is the only one who knows this there is no way we can have a perfect equation. Though, I agree that yours reduces the margin of error a lot.

Your basic logic seems fine but one problem is you are assuming that the only variable is the length of the post, which makes it a little flawed. There are other variables like post age (how much time after the post was created you replied) and maybe there are a bunch of other factors. Obviously, as Opaque is the only one who knows this there is no way we can have a perfect equation. Though, I agree that yours reduces the margin of error a lot.

i know there are many other factors in calculating mycent in here , and i said i am doing math not about mycent system in specific or how to work, i am just stating a way of calculating the average when we have different factors affect the values. thank you for replying. Edited by web_designer (see edit history)

wd- i understand where you are going with this and your math is actually correct with what you did. that's why you could prove the total mycents earned was $39.96 when the math was reversed. your logic was flawed twice though.

1: you assumed each group was worth twice as much as the next group which they are NOT!

2: in the beginning, you stated how many lines were in each group but NOWHERE in your formula did you take that in to account.

so not only did you assume something that is not true, but you left part of the math out. i think you need to re-figure your math. here is an example:

group A: 70*3.5= 245 average total lines in group

group B: 200*7.5= 1500 average total lines in group

as you can see, group B is NOT worth twice as much as group A and you forgot to calculate in the average total lines from each group. you said yourself that we have to take in to account total lines for each post and you didn't calculate lines in a post anywhere in your math. where your math really goes haywire is in the end when you are still assuming total posts is 555 when in fact, your total posts are still 400 as you mentioned earlier. you just totally changed figures out of nowhere. if you did indeed post 400 times and the average mycents per post is .072 like you said, your total mycents earned would have been 28.80 which is a lot lower than $40, don't you think? :)

wd- i understand where you are going with this and your math is actually correct with what you did. that's why you could prove the total mycents earned was $39.96 when the math was reversed. your logic was flawed twice though.

1: you assumed each group was worth twice as much as the next group which they are NOT!

2: in the beginning, you stated how many lines were in each group but NOWHERE in your formula did you take that in to account.

so not only did you assume something that is not true, but you left part of the math out. i think you need to re-figure your math. here is an example:

as you can see, group B is NOT worth twice as much as group A and you forgot to calculate in the average total lines from each group. you said yourself that we have to take in to account total lines for each post and you didn't calculate lines in a post anywhere in your math. where your math really goes haywire is in the end when you are still assuming total posts is 555 when in fact, your total posts are still 400 as you mentioned earlier. you just totally changed figures out of nowhere. if you did indeed post 400 times and the average mycents per post is .072 like you said, your total mycents earned would have been 28.80 which is a lot lower than $40, don't you think? :)

No anwii .. wd is right in her calculations .. I'll try and explain.

The total number of posts is 400. Now what she is trying to do is have a weightage for each group. She's not taking into account the exact number of lines but the group as such, which is an assumption that I am not sure about. If we assume that this part is correct, she has split all the posts into 4 groups, A to D each of which has a certain number of posts.

Group A -- 70

Group B -- 200

Group C -- 100

Group D -- 30

Total = 400 = Total number of posts.

Now, she's giving each group a weightage in the ratio 1:2:4:8

Putting it as 0.5, 1, 2 and 4

Number of 'weighted' posts = 70*0.5 + 200 *1 + 100*2 + 30*4 = 555

Earnings per 'weighted' post = (Total Earnings) / (Number of weighted posts) = 40/555 = 0.072

Look here for more information about what exactly weighted mean is, which is what wd is doing.

Now, each post in group A is worth 0.072*0.5 myCents, which means the total number of myCents that group A generates is 0.072*0.5*70 and so on.

I'm not sure if I did a good job at explaining it, but I am pretty sure WD did not make any mistakes. Are you convinced now anwii or still got doubts ?

haha just because her math was correct in what she did doesn't mean that she didn't leave anything out. she did. and some of her thinking was flawed. if she wants to separate the total posts in to groups based on the size of the post, then we will have add that factor in to our calculations based on the weight on how many lines AND how many posts in each group. NOT JUST HOW MANY LINES. this was a major flaw and i took time out to prove step by step....accounting for EVERYTHING. basing the weight on how many lines per post in each group is only half correct. here is my proof which is not flawed....

Group A 70 posts

Group B 200 posts

Group C 100 posts

Group D 30 posts

you have to assume the average:

group A: for post from 2-5 lines. or 3.5 lines AVERAGE

group B: for post from 5-10 lines. or 7.5 lines AVERAGE

group C: for post from 10-20 lines. or 15 lines AVERAGE

group D: for post from 20-40 lines. or 30 lines AVERAGE

once you have the average lines per post in each group, you multiply the result with how many posts in each group to get the average in each group:

group C: 100*15= 1500 average total lines in group

group D: 30*30= 900 average total lines in group

now see? when you actually average out the total lines of each group, each group is NOT worth twice as much as the next group. so your simple error in what seems logical is in fact NOT factoring in ALL information. you only factored in SOME of the information.

so now we figure out how many average mycents each line is worth. the first step in doing this is by adding all the averages:

245+1500+1500+900= 4145

now we divide the total amount of mycents earned by the result:

40/4145= .00965 per line

now we can figure out the average total mycents in each group by multiplying what each line is worth with the average lines we figured out earlier:

group A: .00965*245= 2.36425

group B: .00965*1500= 14.475

group C: .00965*1500= 14.475

group D: .00965*900= 8.685

NOTE: 2.36425+14.475+14.475+8.685= 40(total mycents earned)

now we divide those totals in each group by the amount of posts in each group which you gave the figures for earlier:

group A: 2.36425/70= .033775

group B: 14.475/200= .072375

group C: 14.475/100= .14475

group D: 8.685/30= .2895

now to get an the average mycents per post, all we do is add up all those figures and divide by 4:

.033775+.072375+.14475+.2895= .5404/4= .136

this total isn't accurate though because we didn't figure out the weight of each group. as it stands now, each group has a total weight of 100%. so we have to recalculate by multiplying the weight percentage of each group. since 100% of the weight = $40, group A has an average weight of 5.9%. group B AND C have an average weight of 36.2%. group D has an average weight of 21.7%. this adds up to the total weight. now all we have to do is multiply the weight percentage of each group and subtract that weight for each group.

showing the weight % of each group. the total matched the total mycents for each group

group A: $40*5.9%= 2.36425

group B: $40*36.2%= 14.475

group C: $40*36.2%= 14.475

group D: $40*21.7%= 8.685

multiplying the weight percentage of each group

group A: .033775*5.9%= .001992725

group B: .072375*36.2%= .02619975

group C: .14475*36.2%= .0523995

group D: .2895*21.7%= .0628215

subtracting the weight from the original totals to get the modified total mycents per post according to the weight of the group

group A: .033775-.001992725= .031782275

group B: .072375-.02619975= .04617525

group C: .14475-.0523995= .0923505

group D: .2895-.0628215= .2266785

now to get the true average af mycents per post, you add the new totals and divide by 4

.031782275+.04617525+.0923505+.2266785= .396986525/4= .09925 or .10 per post

now the EASY way of figuring out mycents per post is taking the total mycents earned($40) and dividing that by total posts(400) which also equals .10 per post

so no matter if you do it the way i originally stated in another thread, or you break it down to lines per post, posts per group, and seperated in to 4 groups(or however many groups you want), the average mycents per post will always be the same. the only reason it didn't add up to .10 EXACTLY is because i averaged the weight percentage to the 10ths.

so this is my proof here. i didn't just average how much each post is worth, but i averaged how much each LINE is worth in each group. when i figured in the weight of each post, the more correct average was displayed.

Edited by anwiii (see edit history)

haha just because her math was correct in what she did doesn't mean that she didn't leave anything out. she did. and some of her thinking was flawed. if she wants to separate the total posts in to groups based on the size of the post, then we will have add that factor in to our calculations based on the weight on how many lines AND how many posts in each group. NOT JUST HOW MANY LINES. this was a major flaw and i took time out to prove step by step....accounting for EVERYTHING. basing the weight on how many lines per post in each group is only half correct. here is my proof which is not flawed....

now to get an the average mycents per post, all we do is add up all those figures and divide by 4:

this total isn't accurate though because we didn't figure out the weight of each group. as it stands now, each group has a total weight of 100%. so we have to recalculate by multiplying the weight percentage of each group. since 100% of the weight = $40, group A has an average weight of 5.9%. group B AND C have an average weight of 36.2%. group D has an average weight of 21.7%. this adds up to the total weight. now all we have to do is multiply the weight percentage of each group and subtract that weight for each group.

now to get the true average af mycents per post, you add the new totals and divide by 4

now the EASY way of figuring out mycents per post is taking the total mycents earned($40) and dividing that by total posts(400) which also equals .10 per post

so no matter if you do it the way i originally stated in another thread, or you break it down to lines per post, posts per group, and seperated in to 4 groups(or however many groups you want), the average mycents per post will always be the same. the only reason it didn't add up to .10 EXACTLY is because i averaged the weight percentage to the 10ths.

so this is my proof here. i didn't just average how much each post is worth, but i averaged how much each LINE is worth in each group. when i figured in the weight of each post, the more correct average was displayed.

I have just learned (more like read) that Anwiii is a NERD and so is Web_Designer. ON topic though -

@Wd - Your formulas and everything is correct but the way you estimated the myCents worth is wrong... of course, no one knows how much lines gets how many myCents (except for OpaQue). I also don't seem to understand why you would want to start a topic just so you can prove Anwiii wrong when everyone else says that he is right.

@anwiii - how did you calculate the lines of mycent's worth so you got 10 cents per post? Did you guess by your knowledge or trail and error process?

of course, no one knows how much lines gets how many myCents (except for OpaQue).
@anwiii - how did you calculate the lines of mycent's worth so you got 10 cents per post? Did you guess by your knowledge or trail and error process?

nobody knows how things are calculated. that's why we can only figure out our own average based on how we posted in the past.

i didn't guess anything. all the math i did is right there step by step. it's a long proccess of we want to break it down to lines per post, mycents per post, and the weight of each group. but like i proved, you don't need to go through that long process. you get the same result by just dividing $40 mycents earn by 400 posts made. it's .10 either way. wd is just trying to calculate it the long way, but her way has errors and doesn't account for everything.

@ magnafrost , thank you for your explanation you are FULLY understood me in here.

@Wd - Your formulas and everything is correct but the way you estimated the myCents worth is wrong... of course, no one knows how much lines gets how many myCents (except for OpaQue). I also don't seem to understand why you would want to start a topic just so you can prove Anwiii wrong when everyone else says that he is right

deadmad, i didn't start a topic to prove that anwiii is wrong, this is too childish and silly. do you think i am a child or silly?
it is a discussion to exchange knowledge, maybe i am wrong not anwiii, we are discussing to get the right way to get the average this way, and again please pay attention, it is all about math not abut how mycent works? i don't care how it works but i care the way we doing math in here, so i hope you get me in here, and thank you for your reply.

1: you assumed each group was worth twice as much as the next group which they are NOT!2: in the beginning, you stated how many lines were in each group but NOWHERE in your formula did you take that in to account.

as you can see, group B is NOT worth twice as much as group A and you forgot to calculate in the average total lines from each group. you said yourself that we have to take in to account total lines for each post and you didn't calculate lines in a post anywhere in your math. where your math really goes haywire is in the end when you are still assuming total posts is 555 when in fact, your total posts are still 400 as you mentioned earlier. you just totally changed figures out of nowhere. if you did indeed post 400 times and the average mycents per post is .072 like you said, your total mycents earned would have been 28.80 which is a lot lower than $40, don't you think?

i will try to answer you here, and reply to your other reply latter, to explain things step by step.

i assumed each group worth twice as the previous because it is a WAY to give a certain value to each group to distinguish between the groups it is something like the subjects in college, the major subjects may multiply*4 and the elective subjects may multiply*2.

and why should i take the exact numbers of lines, i already give it an estimate range for each group, and i think this is more than enough. also can you please tell me from where did you get these numbers 3.5 and 7.5? you didn't explain that.

and 555 is not the number of my posts anwiii, you completely missed me here. it is the a new value for HOW MUCH THE POSTS COUNTS OR THE VALUE OF THE POSTS, it is something like the points for posts, points i give it to each group (0.5,1,2,4) to get a new number according the value of each post in a group. it is the same when we calculate the GPA of students, we multiply each subject with the number of its hours a week and what we get is the points of that subject, and i will use that points after that regardless the ACTUAL DEGREE OF THAT SUBJECT and why do that? to give a certain value to each subject according to its hours a week. so we will use the new points we got NOT THE ORIGINAL GRADE, just like i did i used 555 not 400. because 555 is the points of posts not the number of the posta. so you missed that, give it another though.

if you did indeed post 400 times and the average mycents per post is .072 like you said, your total mycents earned would have been 28.80 which is a lot lower than $40, don't you think?

and again 0.072 is the average of each post ACCORDING TO ITS VALUE OR THE POINTS I CALCULATED not the number of posts, you multiply 0.072*400 = 28.8, and this is exactly what you did before when you get 0.10 cents, if i wanted to calculate the average of ALL POSTS REGARDLESS THEIR VALUES then i won't bother myself and do all this math and just followed you way, RIGHT :) .

as i said before i will reply to your other reply soon, just wait for me ;) .

I have just learned (more like read) that Anwiii is a NERD and so is Web_Designer. ON topic though -

@Wd - Your formulas and everything is correct but the way you estimated the myCents worth is wrong... of course, no one knows how much lines gets how many myCents (except for OpaQue). I also don't seem to understand why you would want to start a topic just so you can prove Anwiii wrong when everyone else says that he is right.

Heyy thats not fair! I am supporting wd full time! You are saying everyone else says that he is right! No offense anwii

once you have the average lines per post in each group, you multiply the result with how many posts in each group to get the average in each group:

now see? when you actually average out the total lines of each group, each group is NOT worth twice as much as the next group. so your simple error in what seems logical is in fact NOT factoring in ALL information. you only factored in SOME of the information.

so now we figure out how many average mycents each line is worth. the first step in doing this is by adding all the averages:

245+1500+1500+900= 4145

now we divide the total amount of mycents earned by the result:

40/4145= .00965 per line

now we can figure out the average total mycents in each group by multiplying what each line is worth with the average lines we figured out earlier:

group A: .00965*245= 2.36425

now we divide those totals in each group by the amount of posts in each group which you gave the figures for earlier:

showing the weight % of each group. the total matched the total mycents for each group

multiplying the weight percentage of each group

group A: .033775*5.9%= .001992725

group B: .072375*36.2%= .02619975

group C: .14475*36.2%= .0523995

group D: .2895*21.7%= .0628215

subtracting the weight from the original totals to get the modified total mycents per post according to the weight of the group

group A: .033775-.001992725= .031782275

group B: .072375-.02619975= .04617525

group C: .14475-.0523995= .0923505

group D: .2895-.0628215= .2266785

@wd

anwii gets the 3.5 and 7.5 by using (2+5)/2 and (5+10)/2, that is the average of the number of lines in each of your groups.

@Anwii

If we are just talking about average myCents per post, your post makes perfect sense. However, you are assuming a distribution that matches wd's for everyone. For instance, if you take all my posts into account the distribution may not be the same. The same holds true for yours because I've noticed your average post length is a little higher than mine. The point I am trying to make is, if wd sticks to her distribution forever, she can blindly use your 10 myCents per post formula. However, it might be 0.2 for you, and maybe 0.8 for someone who makes only huge tutorials. The intent of wd's post is to figure out an approximate number of myCents for any of your posts. True, there will be a lot of error because of the assumption that a 2 line post and 5 line post are equally valuable. But, it'll be far too complex to get the mapping for each length. As in , there are two 2 line posts, four 3 line posts... to the maximum. To clarify, assume I make 5 2 line posts tomorrow. Should I expect 50 cents? No, that doesn't sound right. Neither does making 5 tutorials and getting the same 50 myCents. In wd's case, it makes more sense as you can get a figure much closer to the actual value. You get this by using 0.072*(0.5) = 0.036 for group A, 0.072 for group B, 0.144 for Group C, and 0.288 for Group D. That makes perfect sense to me. You could also simply divide the total amount by the total lines and get average myCent for each line, and use it. Hope I made myself and also wd clear!

i assumed each group worth twice as the previous because it is a WAY to give a certain value to each group to distinguish between the groups it is something like the subjects in college, the major subjects may multiply*4 and the elective subjects may multiply*2.

that's the difference between you and i. i am not assuming anything. you are. i have CLEARLY showed how i figured everything including the weight of each group. you have not. you have only assumed and given twice the weight for each group.

and why should i take the exact numbers of lines, i already give it an estimate range for each group, and i think this is more than enough. also can you please tell me from where did you get these numbers 3.5 and 7.5? you didn't explain that.

you are the one who wanted to break down posts in to groups and lines per post. i did it the way you said YOU were going to do it but you didn't do it that way. all you did was state how many lines in a post each group has. in no way shape or form did that enter in to your calculations at all. we could assume group A had 1-100 lines, group B had 101-200 lines, group C had 201-300 lines, and group D had 301-400 lines. they way you calculated what you did, it doesn't matter how many lines are in each group. you didn't factor in the lines at all! is that so hard to understand where one of your errors is? i came up with 3.5,7.5, etc as average #'s of lines per post, per group! pay attention :)

and 555 is not the number of my posts anwiii, you completely missed me here.

you keep saying i am misunderstanding. i am not. you keep comparing who to figure this out with how you would figure grades in school. i know 555 is not the number of posts. supposedly this is your weighted factor after you assumed each group was twice as high as the next group. it's you who are misunderstanding and assuming things. in my formula, i assumed NOTHING. everything was proven in basic math and it's all there in black and white.

and again 0.072 is the average of each post ACCORDING TO ITS VALUE OR THE POINTS I CALCULATED

you didn't calculate the values. you ASSUMED the values. so my dear....let me ask you how you calculated .5,1,2, and 4. you didn't. you ASSUMED those #'s out of thin air! haha if i am wrong, please tell me how you came up with those figures exactly because those figures are dictating that each group is twice as high as the next group.

as i said before i will reply to your other reply soon, just wait for me ;) .

don't bother. if you got confused how i get the average lines per post, per group, then you will have trouble understanding everything else i did. do you not understand that the way you did it, it doesn't matter what weight you put on your groups? the final outcome will be the same according to your math? instead of using .5,1,2,4 for your weight, use prime #'s 1,3,5,7 or more realistic to what you were trying to accomplish use, 2,4,8,16. the way you did it and proved that everything added to 40, you can use ANY # for the weight and still get the same result! haha! so you are wrong, wd and you can't even see where you are wrong. i try to explain where you are wrong but you still don't see it because you are set it thinking that your formula is correct and that you can ASSUME the weight of each group rather than PROVING what the actual weight of each group is. lastly, you ARE trying to prove me wrong like deadmad says. this was obvious when you said i don't know math and you need to teach me YOUR math to prove that my math is wrong.

deadmad- i ain't a nerd haha. i just hate when someone wants to correct me and use false information to try and prove a point. i will always argue what i know is correct when someone wants to tell me that my math is wrong haha. i have to save face here now after being accused of something that wasn't true.

Wow all this discussion seems so sophisticated - I'm really impressed that we have a lot of people interested in mathematics! I don't know exactly how much WD gets per post but I think any one who posts in this topic to discuss the mathematical relations is sure to get $1 per post perhaps :lol:

that's the difference between you and i. i am not assuming anything. you are. i have CLEARLY showed how i figured everything including the weight of each group. you have not. you have only assumed and given twice the weight for each group.

you are the one who wanted to break down posts in to groups and lines per post. i did it the way you said YOU were going to do it but you didn't do it that way. all you did was state how many lines in a post each group has. in no way shape or form did that enter in to your calculations at all. we could assume group A had 1-100 lines, group B had 101-200 lines, group C had 201-300 lines, and group D had 301-400 lines. they way you calculated what you did, it doesn't matter how many lines are in each group. you didn't factor in the lines at all! is that so hard to understand where one of your errors is? i came up with 3.5,7.5, etc as average #'s of lines per post, per group! pay attention :)

you keep saying i am misunderstanding. i am not. you keep comparing who to figure this out with how you would figure grades in school. i know 555 is not the number of posts. supposedly this is your weighted factor after you assumed each group was twice as high as the next group. it's you who are misunderstanding and assuming things. in my formula, i assumed NOTHING. everything was proven in basic math and it's all there in black and white.

you didn't calculate the values. you ASSUMED the values. so my dear....let me ask you how you calculated .5,1,2, and 4. you didn't. you ASSUMED those #'s out of thin air! haha if i am wrong, please tell me how you came up with those figures exactly because those figures are dictating that each group is twice as high as the next group.

don't bother. if you got confused how i get the average lines per post, per group, then you will have trouble understanding everything else i did. do you not understand that the way you did it, it doesn't matter what weight you put on your groups? the final outcome will be the same according to your math? instead of using .5,1,2,4 for your weight, use prime #'s 1,3,5,7 or more realistic to what you were trying to accomplish use, 2,4,8,16. the way you did it and proved that everything added to 40, you can use ANY # for the weight and still get the same result! haha! so you are wrong, wd and you can't even see where you are wrong. i try to explain where you are wrong but you still don't see it because you are set it thinking that your formula is correct and that you can ASSUME the weight of each group rather than PROVING what the actual weight of each group is. lastly, you ARE trying to prove me wrong like deadmad says. this was obvious when you said i don't know math and you need to teach me YOUR math to prove that my math is wrong.

deadmad- i ain't a nerd haha. i just hate when someone wants to correct me and use false information to try and prove a point. i will always argue what i know is correct when someone wants to tell me that my math is wrong haha. i have to save face here now after being accused of something that wasn't true.

I shall answer on behalf of wd, if you dont mind. You were asking how she got the ratio and saying any number she fancies can be used. YOU used the same ratio my dear friend. You said 3.5 posts average and so on. 3.5 : 7.5 : 15 : 30 is the same ratio that she is talking about. The only small difference is 3.5 should be 3.75 to make it exact, which is not a very big error I would say. If you think its a very big error, you are welcome to calculate using the number 35:75:150:300, and figure out finally that the margin of error was so small that the whole process was not worth it in the first place.

And while you are saying wd is making assumptions, i see it like you are leaving out too much information. You keep talking about how much lines are important and she's leaving it out , while she is not leaving it out. Just because she doesn't make it explicit the way you did does not mean she is wrong. She's just taking a simpler approach. And if you did the whole exercise just to figure out that all posts are equal, you need not have done that in the first place. Try to give an approximate myCent value for each post using your math. Use it for your own data maybe. You'll then realise the shortcoming in your formula that wd is trying to solve.

And again, purely supporting wd in this one, she is arguing but not in a childish/kiddish way. Maybe you are right, maybe you are wrong, but at the end of the day , I would say this was a decent conversation and not two kids poking at each other without any clue whatsoever. And I intend to stay till the end of this thread till there is some conclusion.

I shall answer on behalf of wd, if you dont mind. You were asking how she got the ratio and saying any number she fancies can be used. YOU used the same ratio my dear friend. You said 3.5 posts average and so on. 3.5 : 7.5 : 15 : 30 is the same ratio that she is talking about. The only small difference is 3.5 should be 3.75 to make it exact, which is not a very big error I would say. If you think its a very big error, you are welcome to calculate using the number 35:75:150:300, and figure out finally that the margin of error was so small that the whole process was not worth it in the first place.

i am using the same ratio? now YOUR information is incorrect. how do you figure i am making up ratios or using the same ratios as she is? the 3.5,7,5,15,30 was a DISTICT average of posts per group. this was not a made up figure. her .5,1,2,4 were assumed and made up figures. how are you comparing the two when my figures were based on fact and the actual average of posts, and hers were based on assumtions and based on the weight of the posts? they are totally different figures dude. the fact still remains that every # i posted had a meaning and a formula behind it. hers didn't. also, the only good breaking down posts to lines does is give an average amount per line per group. they will vary. but after you add in the weight of not only the lines per post, but the posts per group, you can then figure out the correct weight % to give each group.

the whole point to putting posts in groups is to take the weight of how many lines per posts there are in each group. since it varies, i averaged. she didn't even calculate anything to do with lines per post in each group. if you aren't going to break down the groups that way, seperating posts in to groups is unnecessary.

for example. she weighted the last group D the highest. that is true if you are only considering mycents per post. but since everything is seperated in to groups, you also have to consider how many posts there are in that group. she does one and not the other. she is calculating the weight of the group SOLELY based on 1 factor.....the lines in a post not both. since both data is pertinant to the group, you have to weigh both factors. that is the error here that you obviously don't see. i know sometimes math can be confusing, but this is like kiddie math. i do this stuff in my sleep.

she is trying to use a similar equation here as she does when she tries to figure out an average score in school based on different variables. this is totally different....although some of the math is the same.

i want someone to go through each line of my post and tell me what is wrong with it. if you fail to understand it, then how can one even comment on it? i want to know from those who think they see errors in my calculations to tell me exactly where you think those errors are. from there, i can better explain exactly what i did in kiddie math.

ok anwiii, you said i have flaws in my math, i say the same about yours and i will show you how.

first: your assumption here is wrong because when i say (lines from 2-5) means a post that its lines the minimum is 2 and the maximum is 5, so you can't do that 2+5/2=3.5
it is wrong from the beginning, if you want the average of lines of group A then it should be 2.5 not 3.5, same thing to group B the minimum of lines in group B is 5 and the maximum is 10, and so on. so all your average of lines are wrong. also, why should i calculate an average of the lines in each post, i already give it a value which MAKES SENSE because the post from 2-5 lines i give it an initial value as 0.5 and because the post from 5-10 lines are OBVIOUSLY DOUBLE IN LINES from the post from 2-5 lines therefore i MULTIPLY IT BY 2, same for post from 10-20 is DOUBLE in lines from the post from 5-10 so i multiply it by 2 and so on. so it is make sense and absolutely i don't need to count each line in each post, or else why they invented the ratio.

and because you calculated the wrong average of each lines in each group you get this error in here

group A: 70*3.5= 245 average total lines in groupgroup B: 200*7.5= 1500 average total lines in group

and here

245+1500+1500+900= 4145

each line? why should i find the average for each line? i thought we made agreed on each posts, you are turning in circles in here.

now we can figure out the average total mycents in each group by multiplying what each line is worth with the average lines we figured out earlier:group A: .00965*245= 2.36425

now don't you think that you get the same result i get for each group SOME HOW :) which prove my math was right

which i proved that earlier too :)

here is also the same result as MINE for each group :)

and i really think that this step is not needed, because you already calculated the average or each group when you multiplied the amount of mycent for each line (00965)*(245 or 1500 or 1500 or 900) because each of those is the number of lines IN THE WHOLE group and consequently by multiplying each or them by the amount of mycent for each line (00965)then you will get the average of mycent of the 70 posts, 200 posts,100 posts and 30 posts. so really this step is no needed, if i missed something please explain more.

can you tell me please how you calculated the percentage of each group, as i know
group A contains 70 posts which equal 17.5% of 100%
group B contains 200 posts which equal 50% of 100%
group C contains 100 posts which equal 25% of 100%
group D contains 30 posts which equal 7.5% of 100%

so how do you get these percentage for the groups?

showing the weight % of each group. the total matched the total mycents for each groupgroup A: $40*5.9%= 2.36425

again the same results as mine, now really i think you are turning in circles, or else why you still getting the same values each time?

now if all that doesn't convince you i really don't know what will more.

Heyy thats not fair! I am supporting wd full time! You are saying everyone else says that he is right! No offense anwii

@magnafrost thank you for your reply you get me fully in here :) .

you ARE trying to prove me wrong like deadmad says. this was obvious when you said i don't know math and you need to teach me YOUR math to prove that my math is wrong.

and by the way,if you are really looking at this discussion like this then please tell me to stop replying. i am not trying to make you look wrong or i want to teach you it is only a discussion about math in here. if you look at it as a competition or a way of offending you then sorry for that and i will stop till here.