xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rpgsearcherz

Ajax What is it?

Can anyone please explain what Ajax is? I hear about it a lot in terms of scripting and I like the effects that can be done with it (I see it mostly with things that load without requiring the page to refresh) but is it *just* a scripting language, like CSS is?And does anyone have any tutorials on how to use it? The amount of information on it seems to be quite limited when comparing to more mainstream applications (such as HTML, although I think Ajax should be mainstream as well).

AJAX is just a complex name for a feature built into JavaScript. It is supposed to be used for retrieving and parsing XML, but of course people would use it for other reasons. Yes, JavaScript is just a scripting language, and, as such, it cannot do anything on its own. If the browser doesn't support AJAX features, then no matter what, your script that makes use of AJAX technology will not work.Tutorials may be based on the kind of JavaScript framework one may use. W3Schools has a barebones tutorial on AJAX; if you are using a JavaScript framework (e.g. Prototype, JQuery, et cetera), you'll have to check their documentation.

Someone told me that gmail was made in AJAX. And if i, right AJAX can be very powerful if used for mostly-text sites, email for instance. I kinda see it as the text counterpart of flex, though I'm not really sure about all this as I dont even remember the source. Maybe it was all a dream !

Since it is a part of JavaScript would you suggest learning JS before moving into Ajax, then? Or do you think going straight into learning Ajax on the framework of your choice would be fine?

i think if you used any programming language before then you can understand the structure of ajax, if not then try to know a little about how javascript works.
about ajax, ajax is a way of developing web application that combines, XHTML and CSS, interacts with the page through DOM,interchanges data with XML and XSLT,retrieves data with XMLHttpRequet, and connects them all together by JAVASCRIPT.

and these are some tutorials for beginners

http://www.intelligentedu.com/blogs/post/Best_New_Training_Sites/493/Top-20-AJAX-Tutorials-for-Beginners

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

good luck.

Ah, thanks a lot for those links, :). Going to read them over the next few days and see what I can come up with.

Since it is a part of JavaScript would you suggest learning JS before moving into Ajax, then? Or do you think going straight into learning Ajax on the framework of your choice would be fine?

i think if you used any programming language before then you can understand the structure of ajax, if not then try to know a little about how javascript works.

about ajax, ajax is a way of developing web application that combines, XHTML and CSS, interacts with the page through DOM,interchanges data with XML and XSLT,retrieves data with XMLHttpRequet, and connects them all together by JAVASCRIPT.

and these are some tutorials for beginners

http://www.intelligentedu.com/blogs/post/Best_New_Training_Sites/493/Top-20-AJAX-Tutorials-for-Beginners

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

good luck.