xisto Community
Raptrex

Dont Download Stuff From Lokitorrent

Nah... you all know that... at the moment you start downloading with one of those kazza-napster-thorrent style peer-2-peer programs, you already then know that it's illegal and it's just matter of time when somehow,someone will get back to you. what goes around - comes around. if you really want to do such things, and download illegal stuff - do it from some place where it's public - like your school, colledge or internet caffe :D - just remember that even if there is no need for login, there maybe still be paper login somewhere... and they can still track you down...

I don't think anything bad can happen to you if you've downloaded a program or two from Lokitorrent, but if you're the type who easily gets bored on a Friday night and decides to download a movie or two, then I think you can expect a letter because this is the Motion Pictures Association of America we're talking about.

heh heh heh, glad i never DL'ed anything wrong kazaa, lokitorrent, bittorrent, or anything else like that. i'm squeeky clean :blink:i don't really see the point in pirating stuff. like music for example. i usualy just go to mp3.com, listen to clips and\or watch video's of whatever i'm interested in, and if i like it, i'll go out and buy the CD with operating systems, i'll try them out on those desktop PC's that are set up in various stores, and if i like it, i'll buy it. with games, i'll play a demo, if i like it, i buy it. pirating just isnt worth the risk for me, even though i'm underage. besides, i don't want to practicaly steal money from the honest hard-working people :angry:

heh heh heh, glad i never DL'ed anything wrong kazaa, lokitorrent, bittorrent, or anything else like that. i'm squeeky clean :ph34r:

i don't really see the point in pirating stuff. like music for example. i usualy just go to mp3.com, listen to clips and\or watch video's of whatever i'm interested in, and if i like it, i'll go out and buy the CD with operating systems, i'll try them out on those desktop PC's that are set up in various stores, and if i like it, i'll buy it. with games, i'll play a demo, if i like it, i buy it. pirating just isnt worth the risk for me, even though i'm underage. besides, i don't want to practicaly steal money from the honest hard-working people :blink:

57907[/snapback]

sorry to double-post, but i REALLY need to learn to frikken proof-read, and i can't find my edit button. change the bolded word in the quote to "from". i'm doing several things at once right now, it's no wonder i used one word instead of the other :angry:

Some of you seem to be under the impression that the MPAA, RIAA, and individual studios are interested in suing everyone who uses their copyrighted material equally. They're not. Even though they can't sue everyone who downloads one particular file, they can sure as hell sue you for downloading it. And one file is enough. Their goal is to scare off pirates by suing a small number of people for ridiculously large sums of money.Fairness has nothing to do with these lawsuits. I myself was threatened by MGM studios for downloading several episodes of "Dead Like Me" over bit torrent. These episodes were not available on DVD, and my dormitory cable doesn't come with HBO, so piracy was my only means of seeing this show.Rationalize it any way you want, but if you download content illegally, there's a good chance you'll get caught.

You know, i never really acknowledged loki's existens and i took suprnova for granted, but now they're both gone iu havent been able to get many movies. Some of which i really want to see, they're old and they don't have em in holland. But anyway, even though i download movies/artists music i eventually support them because i do buy their cds if they're good enough!

Since the thread has already gone down this road.... using P2P networks or other clients for bittorrent does -not- equal piracy, or even illegal activities. While it can be used for those purposes, it doesn't mean that everyone who uses them, uses them for those purposes.Secondly, downloading TV rips is not illegal. That was settled in court over a decade ago when the first video tape recorders came out, and people started recording tv shows and movies. Have a good look into it if you will. And if you are absolutely terrified of all the lawsuits, get a program like Peer Guardian that blocks known agressive IPs that are associated with malware, trojans, ads, and such... that, or move to Canada (Australia now *BLEEP* in that department since the free trade agreement).

Note, that the bleep in my previous post was very similar socks... I can't belive it got bleeped out...

Secondly, downloading TV rips is not illegal. That was settled in court over a decade ago when the first video tape recorders came out, and people started recording tv shows and movies.  Have a good look into it if you will. 

71221[/snapback]

Two points:

1.) In the Betamax case, it was assumed that people would be recording shows for themselves for the purpose of time-shifting. In that case, they would already be subscribing to a cable service (unless they used antennae). With TV rips, you don't need to pay for any services, so cable networks are pretty pissed. I'm not sure if the major (free) networks have launched any suits.

2.) It does not matter if it's exactly illegal. They have whole teams of lawyers dedicated to intimidating and defeating you in court. On the offchance that you win the suit, what do you get? A pat on the back from the Electronic Frontier Foundation and a whole lot of nothing. But hey, at least it only cost a boatload of money and time to defend yourself.

So maybe downloading TV rips is legal, and maybe it's not. In either case, I'm in no position to challenge the networks, and I have a feeling that you're not, either.

Two points:

1.) In the Betamax case, it was assumed that people would be recording shows for themselves for the purpose of time-shifting. In that case, they would already be subscribing to a cable service (unless they used antennae). With TV rips, you don't need to pay for any services, so cable networks are pretty pissed. I'm not sure if the major (free) networks have launched any suits.

2.) It does not matter if it's exactly illegal. They have whole teams of lawyers dedicated to intimidating and defeating you in court. On the offchance that you win the suit, what do you get? A pat on the back from the Electronic Frontier Foundation and a whole lot of nothing. But hey, at least it only cost a boatload of money and time to defend yourself.

So maybe downloading TV rips is legal, and maybe it's not. In either case, I'm in no position to challenge the networks, and I have a feeling that you're not, either.

71498[/snapback]

I gotta concur wit ya there. I mean nobody here has the thousands of dollars necessary to spend on a court case with the MPAA/Specific Music Companies. They've got lawyers, you've got your Mommy and Daddy... And besides, if we had the cash money to pay for lawyers and shizit, nobody'd download that stuff from Kazaa or iMesh or whatever. We'd go out and buy the stuff ourself.

Pandalicious (You like that, alot. NAAAAA, don't talk. I said you like that.)