xisto Community
iGuest

How To Play Online

How do I play Age of Empires Conquerors Expansion online with people that aren't using the same internet as me. Like I can play people who are at my house and such but how to play people on the actually web?? Been trying to figure it out for awhile but I can't figure it out and I don't want to download a bunch of patches if I don't need to....anyone know?

I believe Microsoft have taken the original servers offline, and did so quite a while ago (2005 according to reliable sources), as the game was released back in 1999. Microsoft recommend a few alternative services through which you can play Age of Empires online. Gamespy Arcade and Gameranger seem to be the recommended services. You will need the game patched to the last release to be able to play though. Also bear in mind that, being a fairly old game, the online community will have shrunk somewhat since it was first released - finding players could be tricky.

Yes, I would say to follow Rv's advice. I played this online a year or so ago and had to use GameSpy to do it. If I remember right there's an option in the game itself for GameSpy as well though (not 100% on that).You'd probably have better luck with one of the newer ones though (like AOE3). Although I think the 2nd one was the best.

You can also try out Garena. Its an online community of gamers which I'm pretty supports this though I hardly play the game. You can also use hamachi to setup a virtual LAN so that you can play with anyone. The only problem with hamachi is that there are no universally used virtual networks for each game that make the communities much smaller. Its perfect though if you want to play with your own friends. Go gaming. I use Garena a lot for dota so in case you need some help setting it up let me know.