xisto Community
bluedragon

2 Way Dvi D Cable Or Dvd To Hdmi Cable ? i am kind of confused.

Hi, I have an LCD monitor (Samsung P2250), thats behaving oddly (shuts off itself at random for some reason). It has been supposedly fixed by Samsung (they changed the touch buttons and the VGA unit inside the Monitor). But its still showing the same problem. Anyways, I figure now the problem could be either Power cable or the VGA cable. So I am going to change both. Now while looking for the cables I saw two types of cable in the market (actually there are more than two types but I am confused between these two) 1. DVI to DVI cable 2. DVI to HDMI cable I have a Radeon 5770 that can support both DVI and HDMI interface. Now I do not know anything about these Digital interfaces, so can somebody guide me as to which one I should buy. My monitor can only support DVI and VGA. I wanted to switch to this digital interface , since I do some gaming too on my machine. And please also tell me - If HDMI to DVI cable is same as DVI to HDMI ? I mean Can I put in HDMI in my graphics card and DVI in my Monitor if it says DVI to HDMI ? And Can someone tell me the difference between single link and dual link ? It was written DVI to DVI single link on one of the cable and on another DVI to DVI dual link and most of the HDMI-DVI were dual link. I am so confused. I wish I had not slept during my electronic's classes :) So far, I think Dual links are something better than Single link since they are costing more. and for some reason, I am getting DVI to HDMI cheaper than DVI-DVI cable :)

Anyways, I figure now the problem could be either Power cable or the VGA cable. So I am going to change both.

If the monitor completely switches off (all lights off, screen off (rather than displaying black)) then it is likely a loose power cable, or a damaged power cable. If the monitor just seems to go into standby mode (displaying a screen of black, rather than switching the screen off) then it could be losing its connection to the PC.

I have a Radeon 5770 that can support both DVI and HDMI interface. Now I do not know anything about these Digital interfaces, so can somebody guide me as to which one I should buy. My monitor can only support DVI and VGA. I wanted to switch to this digital interface , since I do some gaming too on my machine.

As a general rule, I'd avoid converting the signal between one form and another wherever possible, although theoretically it shouldn't make any difference. I'd therefore go for the DVI-DVI cable. The difference is that HDMI can carry an audio signal too, although I doubt that's really something you need when outputting to your monitor, and would be lost in the conversion to DVI anyway.

And please also tell me - If HDMI to DVI cable is same as DVI to HDMI ? I mean Can I put in HDMI in my graphics card and DVI in my Monitor if it says DVI to HDMI ?

They're the same (assuming it's a male HDMI plug and a male DVI plug). You can plug either end into either device and it should work.

And Can someone tell me the difference between single link and dual link ? It was written DVI to DVI single link on one of the cable and on another DVI to DVI dual link and most of the HDMI-DVI were dual link. I am so confused. I wish I had not slept during my electronic's classes :)

Single link has a maximum resolution of 1920x1200. Dual link has a maximum resolution of 2560x1600. This is because dual link, as the name suggests, has twice the bandwidth of single link. If your display supports higher resolutions than 1920x1200 get the dual link cable. Otherwise the single link cable will be fine.

Thanks a million rvalkass. :)You've given me all the answers I needed :)I'll probably go for a DVI - DVI single link. HDMI is good but you are right, since I don't have speakers in my monitor and moreover, its an HDMI -DVI thing. I'll stick to the DVI-DVI single link.I don't think my monitor would support a resolution higher than 1920x1080. (Its a 22")Anyways, these were some of the answers which I went looking for on google and I think google these days is not what it used to be :). Its more confusing. I look for one thing and find something completely unrelated. Looks like I've lost my googling skills :)Anyways .. Thanks