xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ash-Bash

Fail Blog

Hello yall,I have decided to start a Fail Blog obviously contains all content to do with Fails. Now I know for a fact these can easily get popular.Now I need a theme I will be using the best Blogging software out there 'Wordpress 3.0' could some members help me locate a suitable theme for this.

Have you considered just creating your own?You could use pictures of people who (epic)fail as the background or something, lol.I wish I knew how to turn Photoshop pictures into themes for sites/CMS's -- I could work out some pretty cool stuff.

Hello yall,
I have decided to start a Fail Blog obviously contains all content to do with Fails. Now I know for a fact these can easily get popular.
Now I need a theme I will be using the best Blogging software out there 'Wordpress 3.0' could some members help me locate a suitable theme for this.

You seem to be trying out every since niche now, first forums, then url shortner, webhosting and now failblogging. And yet, this is another bad idea in your case, you seem never to think through on your ideas and you are trying things now years after failblogging niche has been explored... first of all, to start of a failblog you need a huge community, and EVEN Xisto doesn't have a HUGE community -- millions of people visit FailBlog.com every month, how are seriously going to compete with that? Where are going to get the fail pictures? They have to be unique and users have to submit that pictures to you. But anyways, you should really think this through? And what is your site name going to be? You better think of good one Ash.

But if you are really going through with this idea then, I'll be glad to help you find your theme. As of now, Wordpress 3.0 is still getting developed on and most themes aren't supporting it already, but if you want you can use 2.0 ones that are just the same but you have to do all the tweaks like headers and footers by yourselfs.

Another thing is whether you are going to be needing a PREMIUM THEME which is paid or a FREE THEME which are usually crappy. There are many premium theme clubs now,the best so far being Woothemes.com , Rockettheme.com . Both of these clubs have PAID and FREE themes. The FREE THEMES in these are especially good and they are very customizable. They have many themes which are suitable for all kinds of websites and you can find the that fits you, I especially like the free theme called 'AfterBurner' which is really fast (claimed to be the fastest wordpress theme) and you can have any color preset you like.

Have you considered just creating your own?
You could use pictures of people who (epic)fail as the background or something, lol.

I wish I knew how to turn Photoshop pictures into themes for sites/CMS's -- I could work out some pretty cool stuff.

Creating you own theme requires high quality images and very high CSS, PHP AND HTML coding work -- these are very complicated for anyone, even people who are professionals. I like to create them using the 'Sandboxes' which are just basic themes and you can easily customize them by coding them, they have all the basic codes but you have to addon where you want to the images and footers and widget boxes.

There is also a new project called 'Divine' which you can add on to your Photoshop CS3+ and it can convert a Photoshop .PSD theme into a wordpress theme, just draw any theme you like and it can convert it, right now it is in beta testing and it is free and you should grab it before it goes into sales. It works most of the time, and it requires a little getting used to but after after a while you can get the hang of Divine and you can tweak it to your likes.

Check out Grid Focus . Its one of the best themes I've come across so far.

I have used Grid Focus once and hated it, they use alot of 'extensive' coding it is hard to decipher them and code them again and they usally never update their themes to fix bugs.

You seem to be trying out every since niche now, first forums, then url shortner, webhosting and now failblogging. And yet, this is another bad idea in your case, you seem never to think through on your ideas and you are trying things now years after failblogging niche has been explored... first of all, to start of a failblog you need a huge community, and EVEN Xisto doesn't have a HUGE community -- millions of people visit FailBlog.com every month, how are seriously going to compete with that? Where are going to get the fail pictures? They have to be unique and users have to submit that pictures to you. But anyways, you should really think this through? And what is your site name going to be? You better think of good one Ash.
But if you are really going through with this idea then, I'll be glad to help you find your theme. As of now, Wordpress 3.0 is still getting developed on and most themes aren't supporting it already, but if you want you can use 2.0 ones that are just the same but you have to do all the tweaks like headers and footers by yourselfs.

Another thing is whether you are going to be needing a PREMIUM THEME which is paid or a FREE THEME which are usually crappy. There are many premium theme clubs now,the best so far being Woothemes.com , Rockettheme.com . Both of these clubs have PAID and FREE themes. The FREE THEMES in these are especially good and they are very customizable. They have many themes which are suitable for all kinds of websites and you can find the that fits you, I especially like the free theme called 'AfterBurner' which is really fast (claimed to be the fastest wordpress theme) and you can have any color preset you like.

Creating you own theme requires high quality images and very high CSS, PHP AND HTML coding work -- these are very complicated for anyone, even people who are professionals. I like to create them using the 'Sandboxes' which are just basic themes and you can easily customize them by coding them, they have all the basic codes but you have to addon where you want to the images and footers and widget boxes.

There is also a new project called 'Divine' which you can add on to your Photoshop CS3+ and it can convert a Photoshop .PSD theme into a wordpress theme, just draw any theme you like and it can convert it, right now it is in beta testing and it is free and you should grab it before it goes into sales. It works most of the time, and it requires a little getting used to but after after a while you can get the hang of Divine and you can tweak it to your likes.

I have used Grid Focus once and hated it, they use alot of 'extensive' coding it is hard to decipher them and code them again and they usally never update their themes to fix bugs.

I'll definitely look into that program, although I deal in Joomla mostly, not Wordpress (as I don't really blog much, I focus more on informational sites and stuff). I am pretty good with HTML though and am working my way through PHP now, and I plan to hit up CSS after.

I'll definitely look into that program, although I deal in Joomla mostly, not Wordpress (as I don't really blog much, I focus more on informational sites and stuff). I am pretty good with HTML though and am working my way through PHP now, and I plan to hit up CSS after.

Hahah.. I really admire Joomla coders, they have much more knowledge than Wordpress coders and they can come up with good widgets and extensions -- Wordpress people are lazy and get away with Wordpress being more 'bendable' than Joomla. If you want to code in Wordpress, you don't really need good HTML knowledge, its entirely PHP and you can even cheat off the CSS by using the default themes, I hope you can get into Wordpress fast.

And there are more JOOMLA projects like this than Wordpress, I used to know alot of them but i just can't find any right now...

Hahah.. I really admire Joomla coders, they have much more knowledge than Wordpress coders and they can come up with good widgets and extensions -- Wordpress people are lazy and get away with Wordpress being more 'bendable' than Joomla. If you want to code in Wordpress, you don't really need good HTML knowledge, its entirely PHP and you can even cheat off the CSS by using the default themes, I hope you can get into Wordpress fast.
And there are more JOOMLA projects like this than Wordpress, I used to know alot of them but i just can't find any right now...

A lot of people who use Wordpress do it because there's people getting rich off their blogs, and everyone assumes it's easy enough that everyone can make millions.

I just really don't like how it seems to me -- it just doesn't seem to be feature-packed like Joomla. And I messed with Drupal for a while as well but that's a lot harder to use than Joomla. Not to mention the user base you can ask questions to is much smaller with both Wordpress and Drupal.

these are some sites that contain good and unique wordpress themes http://www.freethemelayouts.com/category/showcase/
and http://www.freewpthemes.net/
good luck ash and feel free to ask if you want anything.

A lot of people who use Wordpress do it because there's people getting rich off their blogs, and everyone assumes it's easy enough that everyone can make millions.

I just really don't like how it seems to me -- it just doesn't seem to be feature-packed like Joomla. And I messed with Drupal for a while as well but that's a lot harder to use than Joomla. Not to mention the user base you can ask questions to is much smaller with both Wordpress and Drupal.

That's that people think that they can get rich off Wordpress, and what they believe in is ALSO true. Wordpress is your complete arsenal to get rich in the internet. It has customization -- you can bend it to any type of of site. It has user-friendly controls -- even 'newbies' can get good at all. It has seo -- more than a hundred SEO plug ins to rank high in Google. It also has a admin panel than Joomla, It's more simple.

Though I agree with you, Joomla is more powerful and more bendable than Wordpress but people just find Wordpress so attractive because it is publicized that way and its made to be simple too. Joomla is primarily made for hard-core programmers and site admins.

I personally use Wordpress, Joomla, Mambo and Drupal. I find all of them good in their own ways. So, I guess it all depends on the type of site you want to make and what codings that you know to make.

these are some sites that contain good and unique wordpress themes

http://www.freethemelayouts.com/category/showcase/

and

http://www.freewpthemes.net/

good luck ash and feel free to ask if you want anything.

Yes. They are free but not 'UNIQUE' and 'GOOD', free wordpress themes that you find in those sites are amateur theme makers who COPY other popular sites and make into a WP theme.

If you really want a good 'FailBlog' fit theme I suggest you consider buying Genesis WordPress Theme Framework from StudioPress and customize it with the quick customizing options in the Theme Panel. They also have nice 'child themes' you can also buy with the club membership. I hope you find it helpful.

Have you considered just creating your own?

You could use pictures of people who (epic)fail as the background or something, lol.

I wish I knew how to turn Photoshop pictures into themes for sites/CMS's -- I could work out some pretty cool stuff.

I have considered this indeed but I have not used Wordpress in a very long time and I am sure the outcome with be very rubbish :/ I have asked Web_designer if she can make me a theme she has agreed to this though it maybe some time before she can.

Check out Grid Focus . Its one of the best themes I've come across so far.

It seems ok though its not the sort of theme I am looking for, for a Fail blog it is more for a magazine type blog I would say.

Well I go loads of free time at the minute why not just make loads of things I have a CEO for web hosting, the URL shortner I just leave by itself brining $1 a day in from ad revenue. I find thinking things through is a boring way to look at laugh and once you have an idea you should go with it. The domain I have for the Fail Blog is very unique and no other like it. I have already got people working on the pictures and no they wont be a copy picture off another website. But technically I have thought it through for a bit as I have got all these people working on it.

I really do want to go ahead with this I mean the more experience the better right? I can do the tweaks myself I just really can't find the prefect theme for the Fail blog.

Yes I have plenty of money to by a Premium theme if needed its just the problem of finding a good one to fit in with the blog cloud.

I looked at the Grid Focus theme a minute ago and found it had no relevance and would look like nothing once I have customised it.

I used Joomla for my website and hated all the coding they used it was like all over the place so I moved onto Wordpress.

Also Traffic should not be a problem has my friend wrote an eBook whom he gave to me for free to get traffic to my Wordpress blog pinging etc.. I know for a fact a lot of revenue can be made of popular blog's these days.

Try to find magazine themes. Smashing magazine theme is also good and you can use it for fail blog. There are some minimalistic theme that you can use which puts more stress on content than design. When you're building fail or picture blog make sure your content stands out instead of design. If your content fails for failblog then there is no value for design. So don't put much weight on design and go for content-oriented magazine or minimalistic themes.

This thread really makes me scratch my fleas!What the heck is a fail blog????I'm not even sure what Wordpress, Joomla, Mambo and Drupal are, though I could guess some kind of computer programs, maybe for making web sites? I'm just guessing here. But Fail Blog has me really confused.

Well I go loads of free time at the minute why not just make loads of things I have a CEO for web hosting, the URL shortner I just leave by itself brining $1 a day in from ad revenue. I find thinking things through is a boring way to look at laugh and once you have an idea you should go with it. The domain I have for the Fail Blog is very unique and no other like it. I have already got people working on the pictures and no they wont be a copy picture off another website. But technically I have thought it through for a bit as I have got all these people working on it.

I don't know what you mean by you 'got people working on the pictures', who are these 'people' and how do they 'work' on it? Are they just 'you' or you do have a community or something? Cause I doubt you can gather a FailBlog community that LARGE and so QUICK... its impossible unless you had one already. By working on it -- do they take out their cameras and go around taking pictures of people getting PWNT? or do they ask people over the net for fail pictures?

This thread really makes me scratch my fleas!

What the heck is a fail blog????

LOL! I can't believe that you don't even what a FAIL is, I thought everyone knew. FAILs are just weird stuff that people have photographed/caught on tape over the years. I don't really know how to explain it -- here try to look at these pics and you'll see what im talking about

Posted Image

so, basically a group of people started a site called 'FailBlog.org' to post these pictures that they thought were 'FAIL'. Here's what it says on wikipedia -

The site prominently features pictures and videos of someone (or something) failing at something they are supposed to do, or displaying blatant stupidity or incompetence, captioned with the words "fail", "epic fail" or "X Fail" (X being the activity that the person failed at), although occasionally there are some cases of "wins". The first "fail" was uploaded to the website on January 3, 2008. Since this date, the site has grown rapidly, with the style of the images used on the site growing to become a popular internet meme, and many other smaller sites have spurred after the meme's popularization.

I really hope you get it now -- and if you wanna get your daily dose of FAIL, go to failblog.org

I'm not even sure what Wordpress, Joomla, Mambo and Drupal are, though I could guess some kind of computer programs, maybe for making web sites? I'm just guessing here. But Fail Blog has me really confused.

Wordpress, Joomla, Mambo and Drupal are CMS (Content Management Systems) which are a type of control panel for your website that has addons, place to post your blogs, edit your themes and other stuff like changing your title bar or meta data. You are kind of right but they aren't computer programs -- they ARE your site, they basically 'manage' the 'content' on your site.

If you want to know the DIFFERENCE between Wordpress, Joomla, Mambo and Drupal -- see this post where i talk about the differences.

Edited by deadmad7 (see edit history)

LOL! I can't believe that you don't even what a FAIL is, I thought everyone knew. FAILs are just weird stuff that people have photographed/caught on tape over the years. I don't really know how to explain it -- here try to look at these pics and you'll see what im talking about

Well there's nothing wrong in not knowing about something and I'm glad you went ahead and explained about the concept too. I had a wrong idea about FAIL and you cleared that up. Thanks a lot!