xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rpgsearcherz

Iphone Vs Htc Touch

Hey guys, wondering if any of you have experience with the two phones HTC Touch and the Iphone and can give some advice as to differences.I recently checked them out at a service provider and was told that they are the same except that the HTC Touch only requires a $20 data plan that covers EVERY phone, whereas the Iphone is $30 PER PHONE.But I'm wondering how many applications are cross-compatible -- for example, could Iphone applications be used on the HTC and vice versa? My understanding is that the Iphone applications are all Java-based, but they always say they are "made for Iphone/Ipod Touch/Ipad" so I'm unsure if there are differences in their programming.Also, can anyone give input as to the quality of the two? As of right now I'm leaning more towards the HTC as it is not only cheaper per month but most providers give buy one-get-one-free on that phone, whereas again the Iphone is a huge cost increase.

Afaik the apps for the two are completely NOT cross compatible. From what I've heard you cant even put an app that you developed on your own phone. It has to be downloaded from the app store. Though, I think this is different if you sign up for a apple developer account for which you have to pay an amount. The HTC on the other hand is open as far as i know and you would not have a problem in loading an application on it. Though, the iphone probably has a lot more apps than HTC. Personally, I would never buy an iphone as I dont like the restrictions they put on it. Android all the way ! :) BTW I have never owned an iphone before or accessed the app store. Neither have I owned an HTC. All these are based on what I've heard from other people so don't take me to court with it :P

Afaik the apps for the two are completely NOT cross compatible. From what I've heard you cant even put an app that you developed on your own phone. It has to be downloaded from the app store. Though, I think this is different if you sign up for a apple developer account for which you have to pay an amount. The HTC on the other hand is open as far as i know and you would not have a problem in loading an application on it. Though, the iphone probably has a lot more apps than HTC. Personally, I would never buy an iphone as I dont like the restrictions they put on it. Android all the way ! :)
BTW I have never owned an iphone before or accessed the app store. Neither have I owned an HTC. All these are based on what I've heard from other people so don't take me to court with it :P

I have always been against the Iphone due to Apple's restrictions as well, but I am thinking about what is more beneficial in the long-run. Restrictions or not, if most applications for the Iphone are not available elsewhere then it's kind of like the Windows vs. Linux argument -- like it or not you have to degrade yourself (in this case to purchasing Apple products) to get the functionality you need.

I have heard great things about the Andriod as well. My only real issue at this point is that the Iphone has a *huge* developer backing in terms of their programs, giving them the most longetivity I think -- unless, of course, you can use their programs on other systems as well.

Restrictions or not, if most applications for the Iphone are not available elsewhere then it's kind of like the Windows vs. Linux argument -- like it or not you have to degrade yourself (in this case to purchasing Apple products) to get the functionality you need.I have heard great things about the Andriod as well

Agreed. Unfortunately for all of us Android came to market very late. But now I'm seeing Android coming up pretty quickly. Evernote for instance already has an android version though it also has versions for every all of iphone/touch/pad ! Plus, if I were to decide to go for developing a mobile app, I would go with Android. Partially because I have heard about a lot of Iphone apps getting blocked for petty reasons and I don't want my effort wasted. If more and more people are preferring Android maybe one day it'll catch up ! Though its a pity we can't use something like VMware for our phones!
Edited by magnafrost (see edit history)

Agreed. Unfortunately for all of us Android came to market very late. But now I'm seeing Android coming up pretty quickly. Evernote for instance already has an android version though it also has versions for every all of iphone/touch/pad ! Plus, if I were to decide to go for developing a mobile app, I would go with Android. Partially because I have heard about a lot of Iphone apps getting blocked for petty reasons and I don't want my effort wasted. If more and more people are preferring Android maybe one day it'll catch up ! Though its a pity we can't use something like VMware for our phones!

I think it's a little ridiculous to keep limiting things the way companies do. For example, most games are for Windows only -- if they used OpenGL (which is more powerful than DirectX) it would be instantly cross-compatible between Windows/Linux.

In the case of phones, they should just run flat out Java or C++ and quit making custom API's for their programs.