xisto Community
rvalkass

British Police Reach A New Low

In their seemingly unending desire to become recognised as one of the worst police forces in the world, new footage has come to light of British police using totally excessive force against innocent members of the public.http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ a requirement of the law in the UK, police officers are required to wear their ID numbers and have them on plain view at all times. They are also required to identify themselves at any time to members of the public when asked. The officers in the video did not have their ID numbers on display (presumably deliberately removing them from their uniform). When asked, perfectly correctly and politely, to reveal their identity the officers respond with ludicrous force and aggression.This is, unfortunately, far from rare:
https://julesmattsson.wordpress.com/2010/06/28/the-romford-incident/
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/29/police_photo_bother_romford/
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/officers-claim-they-dont-need-law-to-stop-photographer-taking-pictures-2012827.html
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ protests in London in April last year later led to a man's death after police attacked him:http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ sort of behaviour by the police force leaves me lost for words. It's disgusting that this is going on.

I would really put this on the same level as the Russian police. I think it was the show Maximum Exposure that brought to light how they deal with issues and they beat innocent people as well.One video I remember well is where they bust down a door and start slamming everyone onto the ground and kicking them in the face (they had blood all over their faces), men, women, and a couple of children. After that they finally found who they were looking for and dragged them off.Another one was a hostage situation where they did not do the mediating like the U.S. police do. Instead, they busted in there and started firing at pretty much everyone.Granted, I did not think the British police would be brutal as well, but at least they are not the worst.

oh. i absolutely HATE most police officers. i don't think excessive force is limited to one area of the world either. within a 4 month period of time, i was unarmeded and had guns drawn on me twice by multiple police officers. once in missouri in november, and once in california on christmas night. the first incident, i was released within 1/2 hour. the second incident, i was released within 5 hours. i have witnessed so much with the police first and second hand in the united states. it seems that excessive force is their right when they are sworn to uphold the law. we don't even have people who can monitor police officers here because in most of the states, it's against the the to follow a police officer and it's too easy for them to arrest you for obstruction of justice or stalking. the police are protected and they are all loyal to eachother not to mention lie in their reports to ensure a conviction in court. they will go to great lengths to break laws their own selves if they know nobody is watching and it takes an abundance of evidence to even charge a police officer with anything because they are "experts" at what they do. when i was sitting in jail the last time ready to be released after no charges were brought to me, i saw some girl having a seizure on the floor of the police station. they dragged her by her feet while she was having a seizure and in to a cell. i waited for medical attention to arrive but they never did. what probably happened to her was her charges were dropped and she was released later because the police don't want that incident to be brought up in court. so things happen to innocent people. BAD things at the hands of professional police officers who should have been trained better and the innocent people out there who are victimized have very little recourse.now in the video, in this thread, i believe the police officers were wrong. but i also feel the lady was wrong. when they were trying to restrain her, she was still trying to move around. at the same time, i think the police officers were trying to instigate something with her so she would continue to fight for her rights even though when a person is arrested, they should go willingly. i really admire both those women in that video. they were not only standing up for their own rights, but the rights of others and they paid a price doing it. the problem in this world is that there aren't more people like those two women in this world! people are stupid! it's just like if someone witnesses a RAPE and they don't report it. the same person is going to continue to rape others. that is SAD! people need to stand up for their rights and freedoms and liberties. i don't know about other countries, but here in the united states, our constitution and declaration of independance and bill of rights ensures that we CAN fight for out rights, freedoms, and liberties, and even justice is mentioned in our national pledge of allegience. it's supposed to be a country of citizens "of the people, by the people,and for the people". instead....in reality, we are in a police state where the police can use excessive force, arrest people for any reason, and charge people with crimes they didn't commit. sorry. this just doesn't happen in one country......but all over the world......and it's bad!

oh. i absolutely HATE most police officers. i don't think excessive force is limited to one area of the world either. within a 4 month period of time, i was unarmeded and had guns drawn on me twice by multiple police officers. once in missouri in november, and once in california on christmas night. the first incident, i was released within 1/2 hour. the second incident, i was released within 5 hours. i have witnessed so much with the police first and second hand in the united states. it seems that excessive force is their right when they are sworn to uphold the law. we don't even have people who can monitor police officers here because in most of the states, it's against the the to follow a police officer and it's too easy for them to arrest you for obstruction of justice or stalking. the police are protected and they are all loyal to eachother not to mention lie in their reports to ensure a conviction in court. they will go to great lengths to break laws their own selves if they know nobody is watching and it takes an abundance of evidence to even charge a police officer with anything because they are "experts" at what they do.
when i was sitting in jail the last time ready to be released after no charges were brought to me, i saw some girl having a seizure on the floor of the police station. they dragged her by her feet while she was having a seizure and in to a cell. i waited for medical attention to arrive but they never did. what probably happened to her was her charges were dropped and she was released later because the police don't want that incident to be brought up in court. so things happen to innocent people. BAD things at the hands of professional police officers who should have been trained better and the innocent people out there who are victimized have very little recourse.

now in the video, in this thread, i believe the police officers were wrong. but i also feel the lady was wrong. when they were trying to restrain her, she was still trying to move around. at the same time, i think the police officers were trying to instigate something with her so she would continue to fight for her rights even though when a person is arrested, they should go willingly. i really admire both those women in that video. they were not only standing up for their own rights, but the rights of others and they paid a price doing it. the problem in this world is that there aren't more people like those two women in this world! people are stupid! it's just like if someone witnesses a RAPE and they don't report it. the same person is going to continue to rape others. that is SAD! people need to stand up for their rights and freedoms and liberties. i don't know about other countries, but here in the united states, our constitution and declaration of independance and bill of rights ensures that we CAN fight for out rights, freedoms, and liberties, and even justice is mentioned in our national pledge of allegience. it's supposed to be a country of citizens "of the people, by the people,and for the people". instead....in reality, we are in a police state where the police can use excessive force, arrest people for any reason, and charge people with crimes they didn't commit.

sorry. this just doesn't happen in one country......but all over the world......and it's bad!

Gotta ask... When you say you were arrested and all, was it while being innocent or did you break a law that caused them to come after you?

I ask because I have heard of people before that did nothing and yet were still charged/arrested for things they knew nothing about (and were later released).

Gotta ask... When you say you were arrested and all, was it while being innocent or did you break a law that caused them to come after you?
I ask because I have heard of people before that did nothing and yet were still charged/arrested for things they knew nothing about (and were later released).

no. i didn't break any laws. that's why both times i was released later without being charged for anything. it was just circumstance and the police abusing their powers. i mean, i didn't even have a weapon on me either time yet they still found it necessary to branish theirs and point a deadly weapon on me. i have other stories about the police. first hand experiences but this isn't about me. i just wanted to give a few first hand examples of what i have personally been through and witnessed. i wanted to show that the police can do anything they want even if it goes against the policy of their own police dept.. usually, nothing will come of their abuse in powers. people know me as sometimes argumentative and blunt and someone that wont take any crap. at the same time, that is the same way i deal with the police who have a hard on in harrassing people. so sometimes i ask for what happens but it's the whole principle. people should stand up more in what they believe....even if it comes with a price!

no. i didn't break any laws. that's why both times i was released later without being charged for anything. it was just circumstance and the police abusing their powers. i mean, i didn't even have a weapon on me either time yet they still found it necessary to branish theirs and point a deadly weapon on me. i have other stories about the police. first hand experiences but this isn't about me. i just wanted to give a few first hand examples of what i have personally been through and witnessed. i wanted to show that the police can do anything they want even if it goes against the policy of their own police dept.. usually, nothing will come of their abuse in powers. people know me as sometimes argumentative and blunt and someone that wont take any crap. at the same time, that is the same way i deal with the police who have a hard on in harrassing people. so sometimes i ask for what happens but it's the whole principle. people should stand up more in what they believe....even if it comes with a price!

Well the weapons thing I can completely understand. With how many people *do* have hidden weapons, if I were a police officer I would not be taking any chances -- afterall, once you are dead it is over.

The circumstantial thing I somewhat understand but I guess it would really depend on what the evidence actually is. Just saying "oh, you were in California when someone was shot on the border," for example, would not count to me. But something like "the suspect was driving a late-model red pickup" would.

The issue with the police and their lack of trusting is that most people do in fact lie. I have seen (working in retail) videos where someone is shown shoplifting. Even when reviewing the videos in court they will still claim it was an "accident" or that they did not steal it -- they were just trying to borrow it, or something like that.

well this is why i wanted to give personal examples. for instance, people don't pull their weapons when they pull over a vehicle for a traffic violation when they break the law. this is the lowest crime someone can commit which would be considered an infraction. so when someone doesn't break any laws and gets a weapon pulled on them, it gets fishy. plus, was it just a coincidence i could name two instances this happened in two totally different locations within a 2 month period of time? no. once maybe. not twice. police abuse their powers PERIOD. the problem is, nobody hears about those cases because they are never fought or in public eye. it's one thing to draw your weapons on someone innocent. it's another issue when they drag you in jail KNOWING you are innocent just to buy time to come up with a good reason in what they did in the first place that was wrong. so now it's twice the police did something against someone's rights. now, i can sit here and say i am not a criminal, but i have been in jail several times. i have met a whole slew of people and getting to know people on a personal level in jail is also very interesting. 1/4 of the people in there don't even deserve to be in there. and it's also interesting the authority the police pull once you are IN jail that NOBODY sees. there was one instance where i was the jail had to be locked down. and this 80 year old man with a walker wasn't moving fast enough....so while everyone was already in their cell, i was helping this old man. sooner than you could blink an eye, tasers were pointed at the both of us. well, i am not going to go back to my cell when the police are going to cause this old man a heart attack because he can't move fast enough. the reason there was a lock down in the first place? because people were yelling at an employee of the prison who hit a cell mate in the face behind a counter and they wanted the sheriff to come and acknowledge the situation since it was all caught on tape. the police are criminals on the outside AND on the inside. i have stories to tell because i don't like the b.s. that goes on. but if i can people people think in what they are doing is wrong, then maybe i can make a difference rather than not be smart with my mouth or defy authority knowing i am right and they are wrong. i witnessed some guy pass out right next to me when he was standing up. he hit is head on a cabinate before he feel down and hit his head again. rather than wait for medical attention, one policeman dragged him to his cell. afterwards, he had to wait 2 hours for medical attention because the county didn't want to fork over the medical bills. unexeptable. i can go on and on in what i experienced. corupt cops is only one of the problems. to me, it's the people who do and say nothing who are the biggest problem. if people could stop being selfish and stand up for themselve and other people, some of this crap wouldn't happen. not only that, but the inside of a courtroom supports corrupt cops. they have to or the whole system would fall apart. judges and prosecuting attorneys have to support their police officers or they thing people will be able to get away with anything. you think the inside of a courtroom is blind in what goes on? they know what goes on because they are a part of the corrupt system. that's why they invented plea bargaining. it's a game once a suspect is charged with something. once it gets plea bargained down, the suspect, now a victim of a currupt system can feel good about the deal compared to the original charge. make them happy and the wont make a scene. it's how to control people. although i can tell many stories about myself, i can tell 10 times more stories about other people who i have gotten to know while hearing their own stories.i was brought up to be respectfull to the police. naw. i don't think so. the way i was brought up was wrong. i can't turn my head when i see something bad happening to me or others because i know if i don't make people think, it will happen to someone else. when i see a police officer beating someone up while i am handcuffed. should i just sit and watch it or do something. i was forced in this situation once and got charged with a felony. second degree assault on a police officer in a small town where i was considered an outsider. what did they do? well i sat in jail for 14 days, they dropped it down to a misdemeanor with time served and no probation. that is unheard of. why they give me such a deal because they knew they were wrong and after they knew their scare tactics wasn't working, they had to do something to shut me up. kicked a cop 10 times in the side. 14 days, no probation. almost like it never happened. where in the world do you see this if the police are RIGHT? NOWHERE!my parents say to be more respectfull. they say i should watch someone get beat up and save myself from jail before i try to protect someone else. you know what? i say, let them live a safe life hidden from reality and let me experience what i have to because it's inside me to experience. sometimes i tell people i've been in jail and i don't even tell them why. they look at me like i am some criminal. oh yea, 15 times in jail, guns drawn on me several times, beaten up by the police and the only thing that ever stuck was a whole 14 days in jail for a felony. but i don';t care if people think i am a criminal hearing how i've been in jail. the people who really know me know i give the shirt off my back for someone else.i am just one guy who has many stories about the police out of millions and millions of people living in the united states. but nobody hears about their stories because they don't talk about them and nobody would have heard a part of my story either if someone didn't post a thread about abusive police. that's why i say don't be fooled. corruption is everywhere. people just turn a blind eye to it never really know the real truth in what goes on unless it's video taped and sent all over the news and internet.

well this is why i wanted to give personal examples. for instance, people don't pull their weapons when they pull over a vehicle for a traffic violation when they break the law. this is the lowest crime someone can commit which would be considered an infraction. so when someone doesn't break any laws and gets a weapon pulled on them, it gets fishy. plus, was it just a coincidence i could name two instances this happened in two totally different locations within a 2 month period of time? no. once maybe. not twice. police abuse their powers PERIOD. the problem is, nobody hears about those cases because they are never fought or in public eye. it's one thing to draw your weapons on someone innocent. it's another issue when they drag you in jail KNOWING you are innocent just to buy time to come up with a good reason in what they did in the first place that was wrong. so now it's twice the police did something against someone's rights. now, i can sit here and say i am not a criminal, but i have been in jail several times. i have met a whole slew of people and getting to know people on a personal level in jail is also very interesting. 1/4 of the people in there don't even deserve to be in there. and it's also interesting the authority the police pull once you are IN jail that NOBODY sees. there was one instance where i was the jail had to be locked down. and this 80 year old man with a walker wasn't moving fast enough....so while everyone was already in their cell, i was helping this old man. sooner than you could blink an eye, tasers were pointed at the both of us. well, i am not going to go back to my cell when the police are going to cause this old man a heart attack because he can't move fast enough. the reason there was a lock down in the first place? because people were yelling at an employee of the prison who hit a cell mate in the face behind a counter and they wanted the sheriff to come and acknowledge the situation since it was all caught on tape. the police are criminals on the outside AND on the inside. i have stories to tell because i don't like the b.s. that goes on. but if i can people people think in what they are doing is wrong, then maybe i can make a difference rather than not be smart with my mouth or defy authority knowing i am right and they are wrong. i witnessed some guy pass out right next to me when he was standing up. he hit is head on a cabinate before he feel down and hit his head again. rather than wait for medical attention, one policeman dragged him to his cell. afterwards, he had to wait 2 hours for medical attention because the county didn't want to fork over the medical bills. unexeptable. i can go on and on in what i experienced. corupt cops is only one of the problems. to me, it's the people who do and say nothing who are the biggest problem. if people could stop being selfish and stand up for themselve and other people, some of this crap wouldn't happen.
not only that, but the inside of a courtroom supports corrupt cops. they have to or the whole system would fall apart. judges and prosecuting attorneys have to support their police officers or they thing people will be able to get away with anything. you think the inside of a courtroom is blind in what goes on? they know what goes on because they are a part of the corrupt system. that's why they invented plea bargaining. it's a game once a suspect is charged with something. once it gets plea bargained down, the suspect, now a victim of a currupt system can feel good about the deal compared to the original charge. make them happy and the wont make a scene. it's how to control people. although i can tell many stories about myself, i can tell 10 times more stories about other people who i have gotten to know while hearing their own stories.

i was brought up to be respectfull to the police. naw. i don't think so. the way i was brought up was wrong. i can't turn my head when i see something bad happening to me or others because i know if i don't make people think, it will happen to someone else. when i see a police officer beating someone up while i am handcuffed. should i just sit and watch it or do something. i was forced in this situation once and got charged with a felony. second degree assault on a police officer in a small town where i was considered an outsider. what did they do? well i sat in jail for 14 days, they dropped it down to a misdemeanor with time served and no probation. that is unheard of. why they give me such a deal because they knew they were wrong and after they knew their scare tactics wasn't working, they had to do something to shut me up. kicked a cop 10 times in the side. 14 days, no probation. almost like it never happened. where in the world do you see this if the police are RIGHT? NOWHERE!

my parents say to be more respectfull. they say i should watch someone get beat up and save myself from jail before i try to protect someone else. you know what? i say, let them live a safe life hidden from reality and let me experience what i have to because it's inside me to experience. sometimes i tell people i've been in jail and i don't even tell them why. they look at me like i am some criminal. oh yea, 15 times in jail, guns drawn on me several times, beaten up by the police and the only thing that ever stuck was a whole 14 days in jail for a felony. but i don';t care if people think i am a criminal hearing how i've been in jail. the people who really know me know i give the shirt off my back for someone else.

i am just one guy who has many stories about the police out of millions and millions of people living in the united states. but nobody hears about their stories because they don't talk about them and nobody would have heard a part of my story either if someone didn't post a thread about abusive police. that's why i say don't be fooled. corruption is everywhere. people just turn a blind eye to it never really know the real truth in what goes on unless it's video taped and sent all over the news and internet.

These experiences you have had... Are they all from the same area? Like for example, all from the same city, or from a lot of different ones?

I think that could have a huge impact on the differences between police -- some areas experience a lot more corruption than others.

As for my personal experiences, I have literally been pulled over at least 40 times (the most was 8 in a week) and have only been given two citations -- one of which I got dropped. Other than that they were friendly "please be more careful" warnings and let me go. So I really can not relate to the police brutality or anything like that.

Although, I can say pretty much for sure that racial issues do play a big role in how police officers react to situations. I have friends who have been pulled over and searched solely due to their race, with no other reasons involved.

oh different parts of the country. heck, i remember being told by one police officer to leave their state and never come back haha. same thing happened in missouri when i lived in some small town. the sherrif told someone that they were going to run me out of town. it's actually quite funny because you really only hear that in the movies but seems to be more common in the thinking of law enforcement than people realize. people just don't hear about that stuff that goes on. i am white and the majority of the police officers i have ever dealt with were white so there was no racial issues there. racial issues still happen unfortunately and they aren't just related to the police. but one of my best friends in the world is black. he was pulled over and stopped and harrassed because his color and his car didn't fit in with the neighborhood. when asked why he was pulled over, the police never said. my friend is a high school teacher and going on to take more schooling for a principle position. it's not like he wasn't a respectable citizen of the community. my same friend, during the l.a. riots after the rodney king verdict had a big swastica spray painted on his families house. it's really sad but racial issues are not just directly related to the police but it IS a big problem with police and their prejudices and an excuse to over step their authority due to personal tastes.

oh different parts of the country. heck, i remember being told by one police officer to leave their state and never come back haha. same thing happened in missouri when i lived in some small town. the sherrif told someone that they were going to run me out of town. it's actually quite funny because you really only hear that in the movies but seems to be more common in the thinking of law enforcement than people realize. people just don't hear about that stuff that goes on. i am white and the majority of the police officers i have ever dealt with were white so there was no racial issues there.
racial issues still happen unfortunately and they aren't just related to the police. but one of my best friends in the world is black. he was pulled over and stopped and harrassed because his color and his car didn't fit in with the neighborhood. when asked why he was pulled over, the police never said. my friend is a high school teacher and going on to take more schooling for a principle position. it's not like he wasn't a respectable citizen of the community. my same friend, during the l.a. riots after the rodney king verdict had a big swastica spray painted on his families house. it's really sad but racial issues are not just directly related to the police but it IS a big problem with police and their prejudices and an excuse to over step their authority due to personal tastes.

Interesting situations you have gotten yourself into, lol. It may have to do with how you look (I know for a fact people in "power" -- such as managers of stores, police, etc. judge people based on their looks and start making assumptions about you). A great friend of mine used to walk into stores and instantly security and workers would pretty much stalk him to make sure he was not stealing anything. I never really believed it until he had me go into a store I normally go into, but with him. Sure enough, as soon as we walked in it was like a spotlight was shined on us.

I do know some states are worse than others in terms of laws though. For example, on a road trip to Florida (I'm from Texas) we went through Louisiana and were told by a another traveler that if an out-of-stater is pulled over there that you are pretty much going to have the maximum penalties thrown at you. Texas is also strict -- in Texas if a police officer can pull over any car and search them without any cause whatsoever. The rule was enacted due to "trafficking" that was going on. Also, if you are pulled over and get charged with anything -- even as small as a speeding ticket for 61 in a 60, they can impound your car for up to 60 days.

Now I have not seen any of that actually happen yet (aside from pull-overs -- as I've said I have been pulled over a lot, and maybe a lot of them are due to the ability to pull over anyone for no reason) but it is still something that can happen to anyone. I think it is stupid to be able to take someone's car for going one mile over the speed limit.

On the same note as above, I was in a wreck at one point and had to go get estimates on the damage done. At one place I went there was a guy with his father. The kid had his car impounded and license suspended so his father went with him to pick up the car. They would not allow the father to get the car *due to "federal law"* because he was not the legal owner of the car -- the younger guy was. The impound cost was like $38 a day and they told him that due to the laws they would not be able to get the car until the kid got his license back in 6 months, and would have to pay the $38 a day * 6 months in order to retrieve it.

So I have seen some ridiculous things in my time, some of which I completely do not understand. But at the same time I also think we are *lucky* to live in a place where the harassment is not as bad as others (where there are no rules at all and you can be shot just because the police *thought* you might have been a guilty party in something).

As for your situations, have you thought about pressing charges? I am not one for suing to get rich, but through my law classes we learned a lot about changes that were made in police departments due to being taken to court -- you can get those police fired, get rules changed, etc.