xisto Community
The Simpleton

So Much To Do - So Little Time!

The last time I posted something in the vent, it was moved to the General Talk forum for some reason. I hope that doesn't happen this time because this is really a venting out of the things that are bugging me right now. Too much of something is never good. Right now I've got too much free time and that's what bugging me. I have a lot of ideas to do something useful with this free time but the problem is that the multiple ideas are confusing me and I don't know which one to do first. I wanted to publish an ebook with Lulu.com - that project's nearing its end but is stuck right now :( I also wanted to work on my novel which is also stuck midway. I wanted to design a website using only HTML and even started work on it. Then I lost inspiration and I don't remember what its status is right now. I also wanted to create a few tutorial videos for my college- this one's been halted after a quick start too. And right now I'm tinkering with Photoshop but I don't know how long this will last either.So lot of things going on but not one has been going right. I've become too frustrated and am not able to think clearly :( When I was busy with semester exams I was eagerly looking forward to my free time but now I'm nearing the end of my vacation but still haven't done any satisfactory work. Venting that out helped a bit but I'm yet to find a solution for this situation of mine. Each day is passing by and there's hardly any work being done. I know some of you guys can give great advice but I don't know whether I'll be able to follow it or not :(

well, you are suffering from the same problem as many have. so i think you just need a schedule. make a schedule for yourself and try to follow it. put the most important things you should do first and add time to the work you should do. be sure to make this time short to trick yourself to do it and not escaping from it. just like that:

Sunday: ? ? ? ? ? video college ? ? ? ? ? 1 hour

Monday: ? ? ? ? ?my website ? ? ? ? ? ? ? 1 hour

Tuesday: ? ? ? ? ?e-book ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? 1 hour

you should make sure, to do a little every day, work for a short time like 1 hour, it is something psychological to trick yourself to do things and when you like what you are working on you will work more ;)? and don't forget to not do the same thing day after day to not get bored. finally, you will find that this everyday little work will make all work done. this schedule works for me many times, i hope it will for you too, good luck.

Thanks for the advice wd - I've been making schedules/timetables all my life and they've always been a spectacular failure! I've hoped to make amends every time but keep failing. I guess there's nothing wrong with trying once more. I'll see what I can come up with - maybe this idea of doing things for a short period of time just might work.

Thanks for the advice wd - I've been making schedules/timetables all my life and they've always been a spectacular failure! I've hoped to make amends every time but keep failing. I guess there's nothing wrong with trying once more. I'll see what I can come up with - maybe this idea of doing things for a short period of time just might work.

ok, you like to be on the net wasting your time here and there  ;), me too  :). then open the net , posting, searching the net, or do whatever you want BUT do you work at the same time. how?

for example, open your browser and posting here, and make you video tutorial at the same time, if you get bored from making the tutorial, post in here, if you get bored of posting here, return to your work. this way you will do both, finish your work and have fun. i do that all the time, or else why do you think i am always online  :).

Woooh! You guys are giant time-wasters! I make my web time as little as possible, especially during school nights. I always hope to stay only a little at each site and get back to work, but you know the internet, it just keeps me browsing and browsing and when i think 'ok, 5 more minutes', then suddenly i find out something interesting and im back to surfing and after 5 minutes i think 'ok, 5 more minutes :P'. Thats why i got this extension/addon for Google Chrome (i dont know if there is one for firefox or opera) that has a timer and you can set a time for each website for example, if i set it to 'Xisto.com' to 10 minutes, then after 10 minutes it doesn't let me use Xisto.com at all, it becomes restricted, you can do this to any site you want and you put it to any time you want. It really works to keep people effective and productive in the internet.

Oh wow, wish I had your delema! I can't even imagine haveing too much free time. I have dozens of little projects around here I want to tackle, but never have enough time or energy, or possibly the inspiration, to get to them.

Oh wow, wish I had your delema! I can't even imagine haveing too much free time. I have dozens of little projects around here I want to tackle, but never have enough time or energy, or possibly the inspiration, to get to them.

Wow! You must be very packed with stuff to do, but If you really look for it, everyone has to have freedoms now or then. If you possible can't find any free time or if you have a little much ( :D ) then you are not managing your time properly, try to make a list or you have an iPhone or iPod touch, you could get app for checklists or todo lists , it really helps me get appointments, homework, meetings (in my case game timings) and others. I least hope you get at least a normal amount of free time and enjoy yourself :) Edited by deadmad7 (see edit history)

iPhone or iPod touch?????I don't see that helping. First off, I can barely work this computer, and to be honest, I don't have a clue about phones or pods. Pods are what you pick seeds out of right? :) Making lists doesn't really help much. The very nature of my business pretty much rules out any sort of plans or schedules or routines. If my lists says wash dirty dog food dishes, and a dog gets out and is running all over the place I can't very well go ahead and wash dishes just because that is what my list says I should be doing, and let the dog get hurt running around now can I? I do keep a little notepad open on my desktop as a "to do" list, but that is mainly so I don't forget important things, like finally remembering to take a letter down to the mailbox. I've had a set of papers I need to mail to the pups new owner that have been sitting on my printer for a week now, guess I should put that on the list........

I know exactly where you are coming from. There are a lot of things I want to do as well and every time I start one I can't concentrate because the only thing on my mind is how much other stuff I still have to do and wondering whether or not I'm making the right choice with what I chose to work on.I've tried the time schedules as well to no avail. It is just hard to decide what is most important when everything has pretty equal importance, =/

well i am just like you sheepdog, i always have a lot of things to be done, and don't have much of time. i want like 48 hours a day not 24 hours :). but the schedule always works for me, even if i couldn't finish everything in it in the exact day so i simply add the rest to the next day.

I do keep a little notepad open on my desktop as a "to do" list, but that is mainly so I don't forget important things, like finally remembering to take a letter down to the mailbox. I've had a set of papers I need to mail to the pups new owner that have been sitting on my printer for a week now, guess I should put that on the list........

hahaa.. instead of doing that you could have wrote it on a piece of paper, if you write in notepad you have to keep the computer turned on the whole time. And iPod's are idiot-proof, i think you are just exaggerating when you say that you can barely use a computer. You have website, you can be techie :P

well i am just like you sheepdog, i always have a lot of things to be done, and don't have much of time. i want like 48 hours a day not 24 hours :). but the schedule always works for me, even if i couldn't finish everything in it in the exact day so i simply add the rest to the next day.

I wish days were 48 hours long... then I can sleep 24 hours Muhahhahhaha...

hahaa.. instead of doing that you could have wrote it on a piece of paper, if you write in notepad you have to keep the computer turned on the whole time. And iPod's are idiot-proof, i think you are just exaggerating when you say that you can barely use a computer. You have website, you can be techie :P

I have pieces of paper scattered all over the place! They just dissapear when I need them. I leave the computer on nearly all the time anyway, so at least I can find my computer. And your right, I do have a web site. But it took me years to do, and you would not believe the number of swear words I uttered, (or sometimes screamed) in the process of making it.

I have pieces of paper scattered all over the place! They just dissapear when I need them. I leave the computer on nearly all the time anyway, so at least I can find my computer. And your right, I do have a web site. But it took me years to do, and you would not believe the number of swear words I uttered, (or sometimes screamed) in the process of making it.

Wow.. If you have pieces of paper scattered all over the place, why would someone like you have/want a todo list? I know my brother, he has 3 year papers all over the bed, table and some on the floor. And never writes a schedule, just keeps it in his memory... and he doesn't want to spend $.99 for a iPhone App :D.

It's a matter of simply getting organized and deciding which projects are the mostimportant to you, and starting those ones first.It's very easy to procrastinate but once you get the ball rolling, the pebble cancause a landslide so to speak. The feeling of accomplishment from getting one thing done will inspire movements into the next endeavor. Momentum will be gainedand things will be accomplished. Best of luck

in this period of time in my life, i must say that it is really the right time to be organized as much as i can. or i will make a huge mess that i can't control it. so here is what i did, i bought a calender and started to put everything i should do under its required date, in the end i got a neat schedule for everything i should do, arranged by the chronological order. and i will buy those yellow sticky note papers and write everything i want to do for each week on them and stick them on my door :). so i think this way, i will get a long schedule for the next few months on the calender and a short schedule for the week or the month using sticky note papers. and i don't think that there is something more to do to be more organized, so what do you think?? or any more ideas??