xisto Community
bluedragon

Sharing Files Over A Router Cannot ping two computers on the same router

Hi, I've had an internet connection since I was 14. Call me lame , but I never bothered about wi-fi and was happy with my wired DSL untill my Airconditioner broke down few weeks back and had to move into another room. Now , I could work on my internet, since, my ADSL router was a wired one. So , I bought a Belkin Wi-fi router. I am not too good with configuring stuff. So I called up their helpline and the guy was really helpful and he helped me configure it. Now, I can access net from my laptop or pda or anything that has a wifi adaptor. Anyways. I was hoping that since, my desktop and laptop are on the same router and have the similar IP address, same subnet mask and same Gateway. May be , I could ping from one PC (laptop, wireless) to another PC (Desktop , Wired). But NO, I was not able to do it. I want to share files over this network. Can someone guide me ?Thanks. I'll post snapshots of my Router Config panel. May be that'll help.I couldn't figure out what this is .. Is it suppose to be enabled ?post-61260-093744800 1277277431_thumb.jpgA little more info. My connection type is PPPoE (requires authentication on the DSL Modem)

post-61260-022727600 1277277419_thumb.jpg

You don't need to do anything with the router to share files between one computer and another. Just create a HomeGroup, between the one of the computers by going to the 'Network and Sharing Center' and share everything you want to share by 'right-click' than propertires> share> than select HomeGroup. Then, go to the other computer, go to Network and Sharing Center and enter the network and enter the password if there is one and then go to RUN and type \\computername and enter. It should have computer folder with all the shared files. You can copy, edit or delete them if you want.?Hope i helped.?

I asked this very question a few months ago. Here is the method I use to transfer files.When you connect to a router, each computer is given a local address. On my Belkin router, it is something like 192.168.2.2 for this computer, which you probably already know. So I simply install a free FTP server (Cerberus FTP works fine) and set it up with a username/password, tell it what directory to share (such as my Downloads folder, or even my entire drive). Then I run it in the background and forget about it (and set it to auto start).When I want to access this, I can connect to  192.168.2.2%3A21 from another computer either with FireFox or (preferably) an ftp client of some kind and download anything at max router transfer speeds. I think it's a lot easier than all that Home Group nonsense if you plan on transferring any amount of files. Plus there are benefits to it, you can backup your files as most backup software supports FTP back up. Note: You can probably secure your ftp server a lot more than I suggested if it concerns you (I don't use the wireless features on the router, just wired). For example I don't use the default ftp port, I changed it.

@rob: thanks for your post - I got a router only today and was about to post this same question. Your idea works best for me since I use Ubuntu most of the time and all that homegroup stuff is a bit confusing to configure in here ;) I'll report back soon if this works for me

If I am not able to ping from one of my machine to another, How can I be sure that the FTP would run ?I think I am missing something in the configuration itself. Still, I'll try running the FTP server and report back.Thanks :)

Uh-oh... i said you guys don't have to do that. You can just use the method i used. That way is too complicated and there is simpler way with MUCH more security. If you think i didn't explain it too well,here is a link to the guide. ?

I got the FTP method to work, but I wanted to try the other way too, by going to Network Places in XP and trying to access the PC running Windows 7. The only problem was that it required a username and password since I had set the request password feature ON. I couldn't figure out how to create a user account so I simply disabled the password request and it worked well enough. I think this method is a little faster as well.

Uh-oh... i said you guys don't have to do that. You can just use the method i used. That way is too complicated and there is simpler way with MUCH more security. If you think i didn't explain it too well,here is a link to the guide.  

You guys are still not getting what I am trying to say.

Lets say , I have a list of all the IP clients on my router

post-61260-089900200 1277573781_thumb.jpg

NOW, If I try pinging from one pc to another there is no reply

SO, Sharing wont work.

Physically they are on the same router but somehow the logic needed to connect the two and make them realize this is missing :)

Any suggestions.

Even if I create a Home group, I don't think It'll be able to connect the two computers since the ping is not there

Even if I create a Home group, I don't think It'll be able to connect the two computers since the ping is not there

Bluedragon, we do get what you are trying to say , I just wanted to tell you that first.

You can't just assume that the Homegroup won't work because the computers won't ping each other. If they are in the same network or even in the same router , Homegroup is the best way to do it. Can you please try it and tell us if it works or not? Thanks.

Ok First is your Adsl modem Belkin too ??? Which Operating system do you have ???Is the internet functioning on your computer or is it just the ping and file sharing ???

Ok First is your Adsl modem Belkin too ???

No my ADSL modem is Huawei.

Which Operating system do you have ???

I m using Ubuntu and Sometimes, Windows XP x64.

Is the internet functioning on your computer or is it just the ping and file sharing ???

Internet works fine on both the systems.
I just need to figure out the pinging problem

For Guys who think workgroups work, They don't, all u need is to put up the same Subnet mask and gateway, That ways it always works. Anyways, I tried workgroup also and no it didn't help.

No my ADSL modem is Huawei.

I m using Ubuntu and Sometimes, Windows XP x64.

Internet works fine on both the systems.
I just need to figure out the pinging problem

For Guys who think workgroups work, They don't, all u need is to put up the same Subnet mask and gateway, That ways it always works. Anyways, I tried workgroup also and no it didn't help.

Make sure your adsl modem and the router have different ip addresses IE if both are on 192.168.2.1 then they might be conflicting.....

Disable windows firewall...

When u enter into a workgroup u need file sharing enabled.... Share a drive and then try to ping....