xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Baniboy

Twitter Updates in tra - i mean the sutra thing

Okay this isn't much to complain about really, but a small thing that has been bugging me, I don't know why. Anyway, there are a lot of people who register here and never post anything. Yet they do connect their twitter account with you-know-what.And their status messages are shown here, on ks (why the hell there is an extra k there, btw?) among the regular posters' and users' status updates. And I feel like they're flooding the homepage with a lot of nonsense. Some post in foreign languages, some post about random things which we (I) don't know of, and some post whatever they're doing every second of the day. While I'm posting this, there are 6 updates from twitter shown in the index. None of them make sense (at least on the same level of the regular users' ones), and there are 4 updates by users. I have managed to make a small statistics thing here:6 updates through twitter: none were actually directed to anyone here (I know it's not a good way of interpreting it but anyway..), 5 were from users with no posts at all.4 status updates made through ks: 3 were what I would call "status updates", 1 was some random guy posting his own username(?). 1 was from a user who had no posts at all (yea, the same guy who had a status update consisting his own username, surprise surprise).I don't mind that much actually, but since "my idea might just inspire a wick..." as is said in the forum description, I tried. Although you want to modernize a site, doesn't mean you have to connect to something as useless as twitter in ways of automatically updating status messages syncing with the forums here. I'm not saying twitter is useless, but used in this sense, it kind of is.

The twitter updates are indeed a bit annoying when they show up on the main page. I hope there is some solution to fix this. Some users might post all kinds of nonsensical stuff and that is not good for the image of the forum. I won't be hoping for a fix right now, though. OpaQue is still busy with the myCENTs script and although things like this need to be fixed soon, we'd better let him focus on the more important thing for now. We'll have lots of time to bug him when the script is ready :) And until then, I think it's best to ignore these unknown users' updates.

well bani, this is really a good topic. because i get annoyed too by these nonsense status that don't relate to anything. especially when they are talking about personal things in their life, and most of these are not giving a good look about the forum especially for the new members. but as simpleton said opaque are busy now to notice that i hope the others could do something.

Until we get a more sensible solution, we could just turn off these annoying updates from our screens by clicking the " -- " button next to the title Recent Status Updates Is that calling collapsing? I don't remember :) For now I think it's a good way to keep the annoying updates away.

personally, i like the status updates shown. what i DONT like is when a user logs in and links their account to a twitter or facebook account and never logs back in. why in the WORLD would i want to see an update from someone i don't even see in the forums???i like when people post about their personal life or something off topic from the forums. makes for an interesting read and sometimes i like to comment on them. i will even read when people post song lyrics that have absolutely NOTHING to do with anything :)btw everyone- check out my new status message, it is AWESOME! haha

personally, i like the status updates shown. what i DONT like is when a user logs in and links their account to a twitter or facebook account and never logs back in. why in the WORLD would i want to see an update from someone i don't even see in the forums???

exactly, i love to read members status everyday, but MEMBERS, people we know and see even from time to time. not people we don't even know who they are. especially when they post silly comments about silly things they did, like someday, someone post in his status about how he is drunk or something  :o.

i like when people post about their personal life or something off topic from the forums. makes for an interesting read and sometimes i like to comment on them. i will even read when people post song lyrics that have absolutely NOTHING to do with anything

i like this part too, hearing the news about our members and friends. and anwiii songs lyrics always have a hidden meanings inside them, they show the person status you know, COMMON just READ BETWEEN THE LINES  :).

It's good to know about what's going on with the regular members, but it seems there are far too many annoying updates from these twitter members who never show up on the forum. That's why I suggested closing the updates panel. I said that myself but I still do look at the updates when I log in - can't resist :P

I'm new. This is my 2nd post, but it counts as my first. My real first was from before I signed up on this site. As I read your first sentence, I felt that I should let you know that.

Notice from BuffaloHelp:
Contribute with quality post. Stay on the topic and make coherent post. Thank you.

hey NNNOOOOOO which and whose line are you referring to? It would be good if you expanded your posts to convey more meaning. Just because we're talking about twitter updates doesn't mean we have to post in twitter style :P Just kidding.....There have been lesser updates from twitter in the past 24 hours. Is it a sign that those members have broken the link between twitter and KS or is it just an off-day?

hey NNNOOOOOO which and whose line are you referring to? It would be good if you expanded your posts to convey more meaning. Just because we're talking about twitter updates doesn't mean we have to post in twitter style :P Just kidding.....
There have been lesser updates from twitter in the past 24 hours. Is it a sign that those members have broken the link between twitter and KS or is it just an off-day?

I just realized that it was the second sentence, and it was Baniboy's.

Okay this isn't much to complain about really, but a small thing that has been bugging me, I don't know why. Anyway, there are a lot of people who register here and never post anything. Yet they do connect their twitter account with you-know-what.And their status messages are shown here, on ks (why the hell there is an extra k there, btw?) among the regular posters' and users' status updates. And I feel like they're flooding the homepage with a lot of nonsense. Some post in foreign languages, some post about random things which we (I) don't know of, and some post whatever they're doing every second of the day. While I'm posting this, there are 6 updates from twitter shown in the index. None of them make sense (at least on the same level of the regular users' ones), and there are 4 updates by users. I have managed to make a small statistics thing here:

6 updates through twitter: none were actually directed to anyone here (I know it's not a good way of interpreting it but anyway..), 5 were from users with no posts at all.
4 status updates made through ks: 3 were what I would call "status updates", 1 was some random guy posting his own username(?). 1 was from a user who had no posts at all (yea, the same guy who had a status update consisting his own username, surprise surprise).

I don't mind that much actually, but since "my idea might just inspire a wick..." as is said in the forum description, I tried. Although you want to modernize a site, doesn't mean you have to connect to something as useless as twitter in ways of automatically updating status messages syncing with the forums here. I'm not saying twitter is useless, but used in this sense, it kind of is.

I've just been ignoring that box of updates. I thought it was site-only though, didn't notice until your post that it also has Facebook/Twitter as well.

I don't think it really hurts anything to have it there.

I've just been ignoring that box of updates. I thought it was site-only though, didn't notice until your post that it also has Facebook/Twitter as well.
I don't think it really hurts anything to have it there.

I agree with rpg... its not like you have to read them or anything... if you don't want them do what Simpleton said and - them away. It's actually a kind of good thing to have... if you post in your twitter about your updates you don't have to update again in Xisto.

The thing is though Deadmad7, I actually enjoy reading the updates from real members. Since the destruction of our beloved shoutbox, I really feel the update block acts as a glue in our community. In some ways, it's even better than the shoutbox because important messages can be left active for a long time and people can reply to specific statuses without having to hi-jack the shoutbox (it was always awkward when a new member was begging for help on a subject I knew nothing about, and all I wanted to do was say ?hi').But now it feels like members with zero posts and no consideration for our community are flooding our only real source of global communication with their pathetic attempts to make their IRL buddies chortle.

The thing is though Deadmad7, I actually enjoy reading the updates from real members. Since the destruction of our beloved shoutbox, I really feel the update block acts as a glue in our community. In some ways, it's even better than the shoutbox because important messages can be left active for a long time and people can reply to specific statuses without having to hi-jack the shoutbox (it was always awkward when a new member was begging for help on a subject I knew nothing about, and all I wanted to do was say hi').But now it feels like members with zero posts and no consideration for our community are flooding our only real source of global communication with their pathetic attempts to make their IRL buddies chortle.

I see where you're coming from with that. I never really viewed the updates as being like a shoutbox (I felt the chatroom would be better for that), but I get what you mean.

Maybe a good solution for you would be to block the Updates from being shown until X posts have been made? That would ensure only legitimate users get their updates shown.