xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dave23

Website Page Numbering

Hi all!I would appreciate it if someone helps me with this detail.......I was wondering to add one feature (page or file sorting) to my personal webpage that I recentelly developed. (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/)If I have many information on one single page, like a lot of news for one month, how can I create a page sorting (i am not sure if that is the right way to describe it) that displays page 1 page 2 page 3 etc so that the user doesn't scroll from beginning to end but rather click on each page and navigate? (to have the information would be sorted by date) I guess html code or Java script would be ok!thank you so much!Dave

I don't know about normal HTML websites, but if you have a cms like wordpress or joomla you can a plugin to do that sort of work, although both of them already have built-in page numbering systems.

Edited by deadmad7 (see edit history)

if i remember right, then  you don't use a CMS. so i will assume that you use just html and i will show you how, but it is kind of boring long way.

the whole idea that you divide your text manually, for example divide each 50 lines in a page. to clarify more, let's say you have a text about 250 lines, then you should divide it to five pages: page1, page2, page3, page4, and page5. put your text (50 lines) in each of them, and add links to the other pages, just like that:

<html><head></head><body><p>your text in here.....</p><a href="page2.html"> page2 </a><a href="page3.html"> page3 </a><a href="page4.html"> page4 </a><a href="page5.html"> page5 </a></body></html>

this code is for page1( page1.html), and for other pages you only should change the page numbers.

i hope that what you want, and feel free to ask anything more, good luck.

The post here from web designer is the one I would follow with. Really you could put the links anywhere and with any text. Just think of it as an internal link to another page (as that is exactly what you are dealing with).So for example you could have "next" and "previous" at the top of the article and the bottom and just link them to the proper pages. For this purpose I would name the HTML pages in sequential order -- such as page1, page2, etc.