xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Echo_of_thunder

Oil Spill Vs Nuke Big mistake

Just how dumb can people be in this day and age. Today I was passed along this My link and it really got me to thinking.
As most of you know I am kind of a weather buff so it really got to me seeing this.

If They Do decided to use a nuke on the oil leak. just think of the trouble it will make. I don't care if the put it deep enough so radiation can not leak out. Think of the shock wave it's going to make. Can we say Tsunami? also too, you have to think of this. Oil is also leaking not only from the pipe but the sea floor around it, which tells me the ground is not that stable anymore. Blowing a nuke could turn that area into a huge sink hole. then we would have not just XXXX amount of oil leaking but most likely every drop there is there. I use XXXX due to nobody really knows just how much oil is coming out daily down in the Gulf of Mexico. Another thing to think about are earth quake faults. The one that cause the Haiti quake starts not too far from there just off the coast of Fla.

It is my feelings by using a nuclear bombs to stop this will well the movie 2012 comes to mind. It could start a cascading effect. But too, if it does work. just what will it do to the gulf in the long run. We all know that the spill will have effects on the LA MS Al coast line for years if not decades, but a nuke? Look at the Bikini Atolls To this date there is still radiation to the point of being unlivable. This would stop the oil yes but would but so many more people out of work because they would not be able to do any fishing or shrimping, not to even say of the inland marshes where so many blue cabs and crawfish come from.

Just how dumb can people be in this day and age

That my friend, is the sixty four million dollar question. I'd say pretty dang stupid if they are even thinking about nuking it. Let's face it, they can't possibly know all the repercussions of hitting it with a nuke. What makes them think it will even work?

IF there was one good thing that has come because of the spill, it's this. We should now know beyound a shadow of a doubt that our government is totally incapable of dealing with ANYTHING!!! I have never seen so many screw ups in one disaster. I really thought the coast guard stopping the rigs that were skiming out the oil to check their life jackets was the epitomy of stupidity, but looks like the nuke idea even tops that!

Let's face it, they can't possibly know all the repercussions of hitting it with a nuke. What makes them think it will even work?

sorry, but i don't really see how a weather guy and a dog breeder know any better or can have a stronger input on this subject than the experts. if either of you have credibility and knowledge in an area nobody knows about, please tell us. otherwise, i will take both posts as a desperate attempt to release an already vented up anger in what is going on. without really knowing much of anything except knowing you hate what has happened, and you want an end to it just like everyone else does.

let's not even make this overly dramatic anymore and compare this situation to the movie 2012. come on guys.......this does more harm than good.

I prefer to let the experts handle it in the way they see fit. Whether they are incompetent or not is not for me to decide, they're almost certainly more qualified in that area than most of us. It's only logical to let them do what they think is best, whatever that is. If anyone thinks they have better ideas, now is the time to email them.

Wow echo of thunder I can see you are very annoyed with everything and one to do with the oil spill. After seeing you topic in the vent and now here it seems you want to get your point across that BP acted way to slow and Obama is not doing much to give them a kick up the *bottom*.

Wow echo of thunder I can see you are very annoyed with everything and one to do with the oil spill. After seeing you topic in the vent and now here it seems you want to get your point across that BP acted way to slow and Obama is not doing much to give them a kick up the *bottom*.

Well maybe so Ash, but as someone that grew up on the Mississippi coast, seeing how this is doing nothing but hurting the people down there. Maybe I am trying to get my point across. and Yes BP has acted very slow in the handling of this mess. and Yes the Obama Administration I feel is not doing all they could. If it was me? I would have BP long ago in there handling of all this and put someone like another Co or someone that at least acts as they know what there doing.

Hey Anwii, like your new avatar! Much cuter than the booger picker! :D I certainly do understand what you are saying, sure, I'm just a dog breeder, and not a rocket scientist, however, when it comes to nuking a leaking oil well, I'm curious, just exactly how many people are out there that actually have EXPERIENCE in this tactic?????

Hey Anwii, like your new avatar! Much cuter than the booger picker! :D I certainly do understand what you are saying, sure, I'm just a dog breeder, and not a rocket scientist, however, when it comes to nuking a leaking oil well, I'm curious, just exactly how many people are out there that actually have EXPERIENCE in this tactic?????

haha yea, i would say much cuter than the nose picker thinker one. it's bruin. my "kid" :)

i am no expert either that's why i agree with rob. i have no choice but to trust the experts on this one. if whatever they do works, they will be commended. if it doesn't, they will be crucified but something really does need to happen soon whatever it is. echo grew up on the southern coast so he has a sentimental interest. i visited once and when i see the pictures now, it makes me sick because i love the ocean and i love nature. groaning and moaning wont solve anything and saying something wont work one isn't an expert isn't really wise thinking either. if the problem was so easy to fix, it would have been fixed already. i would rather sacrifice what has already been sacrificed for a full proof plan rather than go in there and make things worse. that is MY opinion no matter how much i hate to see things the way they are.

People are stupid. Period. At least we can laugh about it.: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

A hilarious parody of how BP is trying to fix this oil spill problem. Must watch.

There are to many sad news these days in the world, however. :( Well, look on the bright side of life, huh?

Edited by Little Asterisk (see edit history)

Great U tube clip. Thanks for sharing that. It was quite humerous. I really thought when he picked up the roll of paper towels it was all over, but no.....too funny!Certainly more funny than the news for sure. I am getting to the point where I hate to hear the TV news. Never anything good. It either depresses me or makes me mad. Usually mad. Although I did get a laugh about the acusations that Al Gore is a sex crazed poodle! I'm waiting to see how they blame Bush for that.

The fact is that we have had this oil spill leaking in the gulf for months now. It is becoming more and more evident that BP and the national government have no method of stopping it except for a nuclear explosion at the moment. I agree that setting off a nuclear explosion in the gulf could have terrible consequences and I am not an expert on the issue. However, it is really short sighted to dismiss the option, especially due to the fact that many experts support the move. We much also consider the historical use of the nuclear bomb in order to resolve problems such as these. Russia has nuked many leaking oil/gas wells, and it has consistently worked for them. The only difference is that those nuclear explosions were set off on land rather than the sea. But, I have yet to see anyone present any reasonable solution to stopping the oil spill in the gulf, which will eventually spread to the East Coast, except for the nuclear explosion. As I stated before, yes it could turn for the worst. Instead of facing a terrible oil spill, we could be facing a terrible radiation guzzling oil spill . There is no lack of risk, but I don't believe it is such a terrible idea when looking at the list of options that are available. The options that I have seen are.......errr.....I can't think of any. We tried to cap it, that didn't work so we can check that off the list. We tried putting golf balls in the leak (yes we were desperate), and that only gave the fish something else to chock. Now it seems as if we are out of ideas.

Hummm...interesting, I had no idea anybody had ever nuked an oil well, on land or sea. Sure didn't know the Russians had tried it. Granted, I don't get away from the kennel that much. So maybe somebody does know something about it, but it sure seems like one heck of an extreme measure to me. I wonder if they have thought threw all the reprocussions it could cause? I know our governement rarely does look past the end of their noses on any other stupid ideas they come up with. Don't think I really want to trust them on this one.

Nuke it? Then the people living near the shoreline leading to the oil better run for their lives. The underwater nuke explosion could jolly well trigger a massive tsunami. If not that, think about the radiation that it will cause.

Just how dumb can people be in this day and age. Today I was passed along this My link and it really got me to thinking.As most of you know I am kind of a weather buff so it really got to me seeing this.

If They Do decided to use a nuke on the oil leak. just think of the trouble it will make. I don't care if the put it deep enough so radiation can not leak out. Think of the shock wave it's going to make. Can we say Tsunami? also too, you have to think of this. Oil is also leaking not only from the pipe but the sea floor around it, which tells me the ground is not that stable anymore. Blowing a nuke could turn that area into a huge sink hole. then we would have not just XXXX amount of oil leaking but most likely every drop there is there. I use XXXX due to nobody really knows just how much oil is coming out daily down in the Gulf of Mexico. Another thing to think about are earth quake faults. The one that cause the Haiti quake starts not too far from there just off the coast of Fla.

It is my feelings by using a nuclear bombs to stop this will well the movie 2012 comes to mind. It could start a cascading effect. But too, if it does work. just what will it do to the gulf in the long run. We all know that the spill will have effects on the LA MS Al coast line for years if not decades, but a nuke? Look at the Bikini Atolls To this date there is still radiation to the point of being unlivable. This would stop the oil yes but would but so many more people out of work because they would not be able to do any fishing or shrimping, not to even say of the inland marshes where so many blue cabs and crawfish come from.

I had never even heard about this until now. I think it is a ridiculous idea. Nukes (or really bombs in general) are made up of toxic substances. If one was to explode in the ocean the side-effect *would* be spreading the toxins around the ocean, killing not only more animals but causing a more permanent effect.

Not to mention using weapons of that caliber would cause complications with the view that nukes are bad, and it would cause other countries that would otherwise not make them to want them for the "same reason."

There are just way too many effects that would come from using a nuke. Most of them are negative. I do not see how it could help anyways -- I think what should be done is to scrape the oil off the top of the water so it could be used!