xisto Community

I was reading some tech stuff and ran accross people talking about the new internet protocol version 6 or IPv6, from The Internet Engineering Task Force. I was wondering if anyone else in the network business herd anything about it, i do know that it will go from a 32-bit pattern such as 255.255.255.255 to a 64-bit pattern of 1023.1023.1023.1023. Thats insane, but much needed.

yes i hear this too.

my collage ever told that some of the purpose are for video ip cameras.

anyway, i thing it will solve limitation numbers of ip.

but it become difficult for old browsers which are not support.

I was reading some tech stuff and ran accross people talking about the new internet protocol version 6 or IPv6, from The Internet Engineering Task Force. I was wondering if anyone else in the network business herd anything about it, i do know that it will go from a 32-bit pattern such as 255.255.255.255 to a 64-bit pattern of 1023.1023.1023.1023. Thats insane, but much needed.

50729[/snapback]

Yea the The Internet Engineering Task Force has to have all the new hardware up and running before anyone will make the switch, i think it will last us longer then 20 years, like IPv4.

No : IPv6 is already used (throught the 6Bone, and encapsulation in subnets not uptodate).The main features of IPv6 (except the number of IP) are extensibility of headers, integration of IPSec, and IP Multicast.In 5 or 10 years, all internet will be IPv6 compliant (the US goverment gave the dead-line of 2008 for USA)

IPv6 is still several years from implementation in the US as far as I know. Right now CIDR and Supernetting are widely used. We also use Network Address Translation (NAT) and Pooled, Address Translation (PAT) and RFC1918.And IPv6 is using hexadecimal (base 16) notation. 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F