xisto Community
evilsmiley25

Essay For School

I'm not sure if this is where I can post something like this, but I just wanted to post one of my essays I wrote for school, to get other people's opinion on the matter. I wrote this myself, so there is no issue of plagiarism.

Scientists have been trying for many years to make Jurassic Park a reality ? that is, they are trying to reconstruct dinosaurs from fossilized DNA. Trying to bring back Dinosaurs can pose many problems, of which we may not be able to contain. If scientists were actually able to reconstruct the DNA of fossilized dinosaurs, and create an embryo inside an egg, hatching into a dinosaur, how would we tame it? More importantly, where would it even be kept, most of these creatures grow to enormous sizes, and no human would be able to control it if it turned against them. It would also require food from the times before man ? plants which no longer exist, and can most likely not be brought back. Scientists have made a lot of advancements, and if things continue in this timeline of progress, then in thousands of years we may possibly see dinosaurs return to earth. It is in the best position of everyone on earth, that dinosaurs not be brought back to life through the work of these scientists.

If we did successfully bring them back, one reason to do so would be for a dinosaur themed park, like in Jurassic Park. Another reason to possibly bring them back could be to prove and know positively that we can resurrect old species of animals, which would provide useful if ever needed in the future; like the continuation of another species of animal. People could also argue that it is a good idea because we could also possibly use them as a war weapon. If we made a themed park, how would we keep such a large beast caged in an enclosure so they would not escape. More importantly ? what if one actually did escape, and thousands of humans were killed, if not more. The cost to maintain them also outweighs the risk of doing anything this crazy. Bringing them back is a bad idea though, humans should not play god. We only exist in this world because of the fact that dinosaurs were wiped out millions of years ago. Using them as a war weapon too would be very stupid. There would be no way to tame these creatures.

Scientists should just let the dinosaurs be at rest. We should not try to resurrect them, because it is a bad idea for many reasons. If we were successful, we would need a huge area to allow them room to move and eat, and it would need to be safe so they couldn?t escape and kill humans. If one was ever to escape, it could destroy an entire civilization, enough could destroy a whole country.

It is also morally wrong to bring back an extinct species. Scientists should not be playing god, and creating these creatures we believe to be dinosaurs. It would take a lot of experimenting to actually get the DNA sequence close enough to reflect the traits shown by specific dinosaurs, and this could be considered torture. They could mess it up, and creature a horribly disfigured creature that would possibly not even live very long, or have messed up features.

It may not even be possible either. The dinosaurs scientists think they could create may not reflect the true dinosaurs that existed millions of years ago. These will be creatures they created in a lab, from bits and pieces of DNA from other species that are its closest relatives?we could never truly bring back what dinosaurs were. This would also extend from the moral issue, should we bring back such a beast that is basically just pieces of other existing species, or should we just let this whole project be forgotten. The only true answer here, is that we shouldn?t try to bring them back.

As previously stated and made clear, the point here is that dinosaurs, nay, lab created species of a beast believed to exist, should not be brought back. Nothing more than studying their remains should be attempted. The best course of action to stop the work of these scientists would be to make this issue more aware to the people on Earth, and start petitions to outlaw such an unholy practice. Humans are not god, thus, we should not be playing in his territory.

The essay was about whether bringing back dinosaurs was a good idea or not.

Nice Essay evilsmiley25. It is to the point and takes practicalities of the issue at hand.Bringing back dinosaurs back to life from DNA doesnt seem plausbile because we havent been able to make even a single life cell till now from DNA lol. and we want to achieve an amphibian form back that was not single celled but a very compilcated organism !!. It is similar to say that : let us go the andromeda galaxy when we havent even crossed the solar system. Cloning has been done.. but creating lifeforms from scratch for single - celled animals which exist should be tried first. I do not know if this morally correct because science doesnt have the element of morality embedded in it.

This is a very good essay and it represents one of my views of cloning (your "bringing back the dinosaurs" is really the same thing). But I do have mixed feelings.On one hand, yes it is playing God. It is attempting to create new life from what is otherwise, well, dead (or in cloning, non-existent). In this sense, we have to look at the view that we have souls (which are given to us from God). In this, I would think that a cloned being would not have a soul -- what they would have, I have no idea. I just can not really see it as being a real being. I see it as being a kind of monster -- maybe one with no morals or something.But on the other hand, I also sometimes view it as being that God gave man the knowledge. In this sense I view it as being that God is the one giving us (as humans) the power to do that. Most of our foods are genetically engineered (most plants are, a lot of trees are, and even cows are genetically engineered to produce more meat/milk).So this is a very hard subject for me to really state how I feel. I guess I'm really half and half.About your fear of the dinosaurs escaping -- it would definitely happen. Money controls the world and I'm sure someone would front enough money to buy one of the dinosaurs to breed and use in wars.

very well-written! that is just how the scientists mind goes, they believe they can create anything just to make themselves known or just to prove to themselves that they can. they are fueled by every little thing that they discover because it is their nature as sicentists they tinker with every thing that is old, unnatural and weird. instead of spending their time recreating a dinosaur why don' t they spend their time finding cures for illnesses such as cancer which a lot of people suffer from. there are meaning good things these scientists can do for the world and hopefully they dwell more on the things that matters most.

I read you essay on creating a dinosaur from DNA. I was very impressed with you knowledge on the subject and the way you presented your opinion. At DNA Datasource, we try to recognize opinions of students as well as experts on DNA realted topics. We are currently featuring articles and writings on this very topic from the world's most respected paleontologists. To be sure that your essay gets read by these experts, I have forwarded a link to your essay to them as well as adding that link on our home page 'In The News' section which will be posted on July 13. It would be helpful to know your age and grade. There are other opinions on retro-engineering. If you watched 60 Minutes on July 3, you saw the man who is most likely to make it happen. Congratulations on a very well-written essay.Bob Armstronge-mail bob@dnadatasource.com http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/