xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bigboss

How To Recover Most Of Scratched Cd Data Disc

I learn an old thecnique to how to recover damaged or scratched diskswith some lost of data. In this case i have one borrowed game - MAX PAYNE 2with a chunck of 4 mb lost with a scratch in CD1 Install. Here we cover somespecial thecniques of how to create a full working CD from the scratched one.First some tools will be needed:1. Alcohol 120%2. UltraISO3. Windows XP/2000 (not tested on 95/98/me)3. Small piece of cotton4. Dry cleaner paperFirst step - preparing the CDGet the cotton and drop some water, start cleaning vertically the surface of CD.Do it 3 times and dry the water with a piece of dry cleaner paper. With a new pieceof cotton, drop some oil for cooking and start to wet the surface like you arewashing the CD with the oil. Dry carefully now. Some particles of oil will stay on themicrosurface of the scrath. It's okay. Seems the oil helps the laser of the CD/DVD driverto read the surface again. Sure this will work with small unreadable scratchs - some hardscratchs loose parts of the surface of the CD where we have data and it's lost forever.But if it is loosed try anyway. Whith this tip 80% of the small scratched CD's coud berecovered.Second Step - testing the CDWith Alcohol 120% make an ISO - image making wizard - and lets see if the app canread the loosed surface. In my case Alcohol 120% had recovered 60% of the data.This is not enough. Have tryed other appz, they do not recover all the data. But theCD/DVD driver laser CAN recover all data in this case. the data is still there, what we do?third step - making the new CDWith the main copy system of windows explorer you can do it. Just create one folderwith the same name of the CD label for future burn reference, and copy the CD contentto the folder. When the CD copy process find the scratch, in majority of the cases, it'sslow down the reading and will recover ALL loosed data.If not, it just tell you there'san unreadable sector. In this case your CD is lost. But it's not my case, finallywindows explorer got all the data from the scratch and made a copy in the folder.with the ultraISO, wrote the original CD label, drop the content of the folder andsave as Iso. You can Test the new CD just mounting the iso in the Alcohol 120%. In mycase i did ISO of the two discs from MAX PAYNE 2 and tested installing from the mountedISO. Works like a charm. I got the 4 mb lost again. So, I have burned the CD and now ihave a working copy from the scratched one.Sounds too bizzarre, but works. Course you can jump the cleaning process and try to copythe content with Windows explorer. But in my case did not work without oil...smile2.gifAny comments are welcome.

that's cool. i wish i knew of it when i had those old disks i was trying to recover. though for most of my defective dvds/cds,i found badcopy pro to be able to recover most of it. works for zip/flash drives as well.

One thing you need to know about CD & DVD's the data are close to the label side and for DVD's (2 sided ones) close to the foil in the center.

A CD even one with deep surface scratches can be restored and read. If the scratch is on the label side the data may be unrecoverable. The laser beam goes through the clear plastic and bounces back from the foil layer (close to label surface) and is reflected back to the optical eye. With scratches in the surface the laserbeam may be deflected to much to read that particular sector and you get a skip or data read error.

The trick with the oil on a clean cd is restoring the surface integrity so the laser beam go in a straight line and will reflect back to the optical eye. There are tools and utilities out there that can be used to restore the surface area on a CD. Most of them are plastic restore and polishing compunds invented for the automotice industry and when sold for CD restoring you get the same product in a tiny can / spray bottle for 4 times the cost of the same product sold to restore plastic on the car. I'm going to list one company that started with products for cars and they are sold for all plastic applications Plastic_Polish

This is a way to do this with products you can pick up in a jevelery store (emery cloth) and automotive store (plastic restore polish):
So using emery paper (Only do this on CD's you don't care about until you figure out how to do this) to remove part of the surface you will end up with a cloudy surface, looks like its destroyed but when applying the surface material (Plastic restore polish) the cd will come back clear and ready to use.

You need to polish and remove surface you have to have a tool that spin the CD for you, straight scratches will make it that more difficult to fix the cd.

If you have a one of a kind CD that you need restored there are a few companies out there that will do that for you. (cost to be determined by the quantity of disks you need to restore)

Nils

Nice trick. I wish I knew that earlier. I threw away a lot of spoilt CD's. But I am not sure if they were scratched. Do you know about this liquid formation on CD's? Like droplets and they stink. What to do about that?

That is really cool, aweseome thingy you have here, you get a reputation point, that relly is an amazing guide!

One thing you need to know about CD & DVD's the data are close to the label side and for DVD's (2 sided ones) close to the foil in the center.
A CD even one with deep surface scratches can be restored and read. If the scratch is on the label side the data may be unrecoverable. The laser beam goes through the clear plastic and bounces back from the foil layer (close to label surface) and is reflected back to the optical eye. With scratches in the surface the laserbeam may be deflected to much to read that particular sector and you get a skip or data read error.

The trick with the oil on a clean cd is restoring the surface integrity so the laser beam go in a straight line and will reflect back to the optical eye. There are tools and utilities out there that can be used to restore the surface area on a CD. Most of them are plastic restore and polishing compunds invented for the automotice industry and when sold for CD restoring you get the same product in a tiny can / spray bottle for 4 times the cost of the same product sold to restore plastic on the car. I'm going to list one company that started with products for cars and they are sold for all plastic applications Plastic_Polish

This is a way to do this with products you can pick up in a jevelery store (emery cloth) and automotive store (plastic restore polish):
So using emery paper (Only do this on CD's you don't care about until you figure out how to do this) to remove part of the surface you will end up with a cloudy surface, looks like its destroyed but when applying the surface material (Plastic restore polish) the cd will come back clear and ready to use.

You need to polish and remove surface you have to have a tool that spin the CD for you, straight scratches will make it that more difficult to fix the cd.

If you have a one of a kind CD that you need restored there are a few companies out there that will do that for you. (cost to be determined by the quantity of disks you need to restore)

Nils

Cool, you must know alot about CD's, do you manufacture them. lol just joking. But really that's even more help!

Hmm i didnt know u were able to do that.. a well i dont use CDs anymore, i prefere putting my documents online 

what about games though or like stuff?

Hmm, interesting technique, bigboss. I saw an article like that some place on the internet, but I didn't feel like reading it. Now I know all about it. Thanks!By the way, PHPtech, welcome to Xisto.

An easier and less-costly way is to take some toothpaste, the non crystalized kind (like crest and aquafresh) and rub it in a deep scratch. Just take a soft cloth and wipe it off. Then clean it with some Windex or other glass cleaner and wa la, data recovery ^.^