xisto Community
phatuis

Drugs And Alcohol More And More Common Nowadays?

I just think it is. I live in Australia, a few days ago we had a lockdown because a guy OD'ed on speed I think it was and went mental, and he was year 9 (14 years old). I think accessibility nowadays is the key, because many people have older brothers and sisters who have access to drugs and alcohol and can easily pass it on. What are your thoughts on what could be done on cracking down on alcohol and drugs at school.

to me, it is absolutely unacceptable or in fact forbidden. letting teens and young people addict to either alcohol or drugs is a crime that parents should be punished first for not being there for their children. the majority of teens who used these things because they feel insecure, unloved and unaccepted from their family and friends, and this definitely their parents fault . they should watch their children, take good care of them and always make them feel secure and beloved. the others addicted on alcohol or drugs because they have nothing to do and need to try new things of feel cool. and this is also the parents fault, teens should be busy all the time, in study and having fun. parents should let them experience new things, join them to many activities to be useful for themselves and others. all these will built trust between teens and their parents, so even if they do something wrong, they know that they have someone who will understand them and help them.i really think that depending on others or on school to guide children is a horrible mistake. parents should keep an eye on their children even if they getting older and marry, we all make mistakes and we all need someone to help, and the first one we should ask for help are our parents, because they are the ones who should love us unconditionally.

i agree 100% that the parents should suffer a penalty if their children are committing a crime or endangering themselves by being irresponsible. problem is. here in the united states, we have been cracking down on child abuse and clearly defining what child abuse is. if a parent tries to enforce rules, a child can cry child abuse. children can lie all day and have child services come over and have their own parents thrown in jail.there is also a fine line between love and tough love as well. it's true that discipline gives a child a sense of being loved even if they don't like the rules or the discipline the parents try to enforce on a child. there is very limited options when kids rebel against their parents or the rules of society.also, parents are having kids and they can't even afford to raise them properly. we have welfare in the united states which actually pays parents more money when they have more kids. there is a cut off point, but still, adults are having children and they can't even afford to feed or clothe them so the government steps in. when parents start off being irresponsible, it leads to the children being irresponsible. some parents aren't even meant to be parents....but instead of putting the child in a home where the child can recieve a better upbringing and love, they will wait every month for their check.the whole system sucks here in the united states. it getting more based on the welfare of the children thinking the system is actually helping children and it's not in the long run. then....when the kids start to grow up, what do they do? the same things as their parents because that's all they know and it's a never ending cycle of bad parenting.

I'm going to have to dissagree with web desinger and anwiii.

is a crime that parents should be punished

Parent's can't really, or at least completely control their childrens lives, at least after the kids become teenagers. I probably had 2 of the most strict parents on the planet, but that did not stop me from drinking as a teenager. I think it's just a natural, normal part of growing up that kids rebel against their parents, and want to try new things and figure out life for themselves.

Easy access on drinks and drugs are more common now so they can get their hands on it easily. And parents aren't to blame as well since any teen will do everything just to do what they want. I guess, all the parents can do is equip their kids with knowledge about the dangers and bad effects of these vices. Provide ground rules and punishments if ever they are found out. Start disciplining them early and guide them as best we can and hope that they make right choices.

Always CHECK your assumptions (and the assumptions of others, presented as facts) because they will often be wrong.

In this case, let's check the implicit assumption that alcohol intake is increasing.

Posted Image

Doesn't seem to be the case does it?

In fact, this graph is not very useful if we want more quantitative date.

Since 1974 alcohol consumption in the US had DROPPED about 40% per capita (niaaa figures for the US Gov - see link below).

Now, I bet you thought it had gone up, yes? That is certainly the picture you might get from media coverage....ALWAYS check - that way you avoid arguing about non-existent, or highly exaggerated problems :-)

http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/Social/Module1Epidemiology/Module1.html

Edited by Bikerman (see edit history)

No, actually it makes perfect sense for the alcohol consumption to have gone down in more recent years. Now there are way more options for screwing up your life than ever before! Weed, and other even worse drugs are now rampantly available to anybody who wants them. Alcohol is probably now considered old fashion, and not "cool" like drugs are. As long as there are stupid teenages there will be new ways discoverd to get high and screw up your life.