xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rob86

Software To Listen To Online Radio?

Is there any good software free or otherwise that lets you stream a wide assortment of music genres? Stuff likes Blues, Jazz, Classical, 'World'. I tried one software called GetRadio which wasn't too bad, but 1/4 of the stations are dead and there is no way to filter out dead ones. That and the lack of ANY settings made it seem poorly designed. While it has decent functionality and quite a few stations, I can't help but think there must be something better?

The only one that comes to mind is Amarok (though it requires the KDE environment libraries), which has the ability to stream from MagnaTune and Jamendo and some random radios stations, but i think you may be better off making your own playlist of radios stations.

i don't know if that what you want but i use yahoo messenger to hear whatever i want. and you can choose from many options, newest, oldest, hits of the day, rock, country, classics, jazz, blues, pop....ect. and even each one of them contains more genders to choose from.and it is free, you can only install yahoo messenger, scroll to the bottom and click on "add plugin-ins", choose "yahoo music", then the process installed and you got a lot of stations to listen to.

There are lots of softwares to listen online radio but If you using Windows Machine you can play lots of music (with online radio) with your Windows Media player. As above Web_designer said, You can use Yahoo Messenger too. I also use WINAMP which is available for free and use .pif file to play online radio.

Not exactly sure if this was what you were looking for, but audio streaming is also a part of some great on line sites, like Grooveshark (listen.grooveshark.com) and Jango (jango.com), which let you tune into various "radio-stations" created by other users and even create your own stations.

It's great if you just want to listen to various music, since nothing is required of you and you can't be interrupted while listening to your favourite songs. :D

If you, however, want to listen to a "real" (as real as a PC can make it :) ) radio, web_designer and puneye gave you some great programs.

P.S. Someone would think I'm getting money from these kind words, but... Unfortunately, no. :D

P.P.S. Oh, yeah... The two radio-stations I mentioned don't require any download and can only be used over the internet, so they probably aren't a good choice if you don't have a "flat-rate" internet connection :P

I've been using Grooveshark for a few months and it's pretty cool, and the only program I need is a browser. I have a flat rate DSL connection, so I don't care if I stream the same song no matter how many times, it's not more expensive. By now, the only two downsides of that site are:Sometimes, once in a while to be honest, the connection is slow from their servers, at least for me being a "basic" user. There are "VIP" users who get priority in the streams, but you have to pay, and I'm not into that ;) Some artists have asked Grooveshark not to allow the users to upload their songs. So, if you look for "The Beatles", you won't find their songs that easily. The quick fix to this is to know that users have changed their songs info to have the artist info be "The beatles1" or things like that... I don't agree with that, but it's a fact.Hope this is useful for you

I've been using Grooveshark for a few months and it's pretty cool, and the only program I need is a browser. I have a flat rate DSL connection, so I don't care if I stream the same song no matter how many times, it's not more expensive. By now, the only two downsides of that site are:
Sometimes, once in a while to be honest, the connection is slow from their servers, at least for me being a "basic" user. There are "VIP" users who get priority in the streams, but you have to pay, and I'm not into that ;)
Some artists have asked Grooveshark not to allow the users to upload their songs. So, if you look for "The Beatles", you won't find their songs that easily. The quick fix to this is to know that users have changed their songs info to have the artist info be "The beatles1" or things like that... I don't agree with that, but it's a fact.
Hope this is useful for you

I like Grooveshark as well -- but it's only good if you already know what you want to listen to and want to make your own lists.

For regular radio listening I just use Yahoo Music.

I like Grooveshark as well -- but it's only good if you already know what you want to listen to and want to make your own lists.
For regular radio listening I just use Yahoo Music.

If you don't know what you want to listen to, than Jango is definitely your radio-streamer of choice. Not only will it combine songs according to your taste (for instance, I chose Rolling Stones, and it added occasionally The Beatles and Eric Clapton), but it'll also give new artists a chance in the airplay once in a while.

It's called Jango Airplay, and you won't love it all the time (some artists will appeal to your taste and some won't), but it's there as a side-effect; you can not turn it off. Oh yeah, almost forgot; the site is jango.com

P.S. There is a great plug-in for Chrome which gives it some basic Grooveshark controls, play or pause, next, previous and stop buttons. You can download it from http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

If you don't know what you want to listen to, than Jango is definitely your radio-streamer of choice. Not only will it combine songs according to your taste (for instance, I chose Rolling Stones, and it added occasionally The Beatles and Eric Clapton), but it'll also give new artists a chance in the airplay once in a while.
It's called Jango Airplay, and you won't love it all the time (some artists will appeal to your taste and some won't), but it's there as a side-effect; you can not turn it off. Oh yeah, almost forgot; the site is jango.com

P.S. There is a great plug-in for Chrome which gives it some basic Grooveshark controls, play or pause, next, previous and stop buttons. You can download it from http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

About the Jango one -- there is another one just like that but I can't think of the name. When you buy a new HP PC and look at the bookmarks it has a link to it in there. Not sure if Jango has this feature but the other site has the ability to say whether or not you like a song and if you dislike it, it will alter the playlist accordingly. If you like one, it will also do changes. It's supposed to be a "smart" player.

As for the Chrome plugin for Grooveshark -- thanks! I didn't even know about that.

About the Jango one -- there is another one just like that but I can't think of the name. When you buy a new HP PC and look at the bookmarks it has a link to it in there. Not sure if Jango has this feature but the other site has the ability to say whether or not you like a song and if you dislike it, it will alter the playlist accordingly. If you like one, it will also do changes. It's supposed to be a "smart" player.
As for the Chrome plugin for Grooveshark -- thanks! I didn't even know about that.

On Jango you can also rate tracks according to your liking, either with a smile (:)) or a frown (:(). Is the other site perhaps last.fm? I think I had it two years back in my bookmarks when I bought my HP laptop, but I don't use it since they don't allow it in all countries. A large plus for both Grooveshark and Jango is that they are available everywhere.

You're welcome for the plugin! :)

P.S. If you do watch The Simpsons occasionally, there is this one show where they're in an aquarium and the guy leading them through has a badge that reminds me of Grooveshark 100%. Just watched the darn thing, but I don't know the name of the episode.

P.P.S. No, I'm not weird. I'm just very, very special. I also don't behave like that usually. :D