xisto Community
user681

Car Expert Needed/need Help Deciding On 1st Car

So, I'm buying my first car soon and then I found this on craiglist ..

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/1715538485.html

2006 Crown Victoria Ex-RCMP interceptor package (fast)

163,000km

No AirCare Required

Engine : V8, SOHC,

Transmission : 4-spd automatic w overdrive

Horsepower : 275 hp

Interior is nice and clean, has a stock radio. Tinted rear windows, lots of trunk space. I just got a compustar remote alarm/ demobilizer installed last month,

It has the option for remote start if bought extra.

Is it a good buy??

I really like the crown vic..but am not sure if I should get it or not

Posted Image

Posted Image

NEVER trust what you read, tell them you want to drive before you buy. Most people will let you. Anyone can say that a car runs, and you buy it, get 10 miles down the road and the car messes up. Look under the hood check that there is no oil burning, and that the oil has no mixture of water in it, check all of the fluids as a matter of fact. Hmm, have the car started when looking under the hood for abnormalities. Make sure you don't hear clicking,tapping,or any noise that you know a car should not make. If everything seems to be in the right condition, then sit down with the owner, and come to an agreement with the buy now price or payment options that they may have available. Good Luck!!Kira423

The part that would worry me is the following:

I just got a compustar remote alarm/ demobilizer installed last month,

You generally don't pay out for an accessory like that if you are planning to sell your car. The seller may well have a genuine reason for sale, but it's possible that a potentially expensive mechanical problem has appeared and they're trying to sell rather than pay to get it repaired. The mileage is also quite high - over 25,000 miles a year - so the engine will have worn much faster than the age and appearance of the bodywork may suggest. Definitely take a test drive before you buy, and try to get on all sorts of roads to test the handling, speed and acceleration. If possible, take a mechanic with you. Many will inspect a car for you before you buy for a small fee, and the seller should have no reason to object - if they do, they know something is wrong with the car, so just walk away.

I can't edit my post to add this, so I guess I will have to post again ;) Before you buy the car be sure that you see the title to the vehicle first, and ask the owner if they will go to the local courthouse, and make sure the title is CLEAN, make sure the car isn't hot!! If they don't want to take these steps in selling you the vehicle I would consider walking away, and looking for something new. I bought a car without following these steps, and it was the worst idea ever I went to the courthouse to register it, and found out that the car was built with stolen parts so yeah, be very wary of what you buy.

Thanks for all the advices guys..but unfortunately my parents decided that they're not gonna help me buy this car ;) so I'm going to have to work till I have enough cash and maybe then..I'll be lucky enough to get another crown vic in a similar price range :/..sucks that I have to let this one go

Ahh, I'm sorry... I wish you the best of luck, and make sure you expand your options, look several places, and if all else fails get a Grand Marquis ;) they are basically the same, cept' for the front and rear bumpers.

Hi!Just in case, you consider a car purchase in the future, you might want to consider a car that hasn't travelled over 100,000km. The car quoted would have to priced really low and even then perhaps you might want to use it only for short distance travel.You should also look for any signs of damage that were covered up - look for uneven paint, and look for any chassis damage. Fixing bodywork near the fuel tank can get expensive so if there are any dents arounds the fuel tank you would have to negotiate for a lower price as you would have to pay for the costs of fixing it.If the car has an expired registration or insurance, you might have to check if the vehicle is roadworthy because that's the first tell-tale sign that the car may have failed emission tests and cannot be registered or has been in a major accident that the insurance won't cover it.

Hi!

Just to give you an idea of the kind of stuff to look for, here's a car auction site that lists various cars along with some info about them:
http://www.goldenbellauctions.com/current.asp

Auctions can get you a really good deal on a car but then again, there are also the ones that are well beyond their useful life.

The first one on the listing (assuming that you follow the link this week) is the Mini Cooper 2006. It is about five years old, so we do know that there would be an availability of spare parts at the workshop if you did get into an accident or need to go in for a periodic servicing. Clicking on it gives you more information about the car. It has got a triptronic transmission, which you can drive even if you have a license for an automatic transmission since a triptronic is basically an automatic with a push-button override for the gear change. The picture provided does not show any signs of damage, though a visual inspection would still be necessary. Most auctions let you examine the car before the bidding takes place so you go get to examine the car for rust and poor bodywork. Many cars that are up for auctions do not have a service history so you don't really know if the owner drove the vehicle on and on and on without going in for the periodic servicing. The mileage on the car is pretty high, so if you are planning to use the car for a commute, you are better off finding a different car. This auction house is particularly better than most because they certify the cars that enter into auctions after a thorough inspection so you do know that the body and engine have been examined. The little note attached to the windshield of the car documents any abnormalities that the car might have.

Anyway, so we scroll further down on the page and look for the Toyota Camry GLX 2009. As the car is last year's model, the car is a good long-term purchase as the workshops will carry the spared for a couple of years into the future. The mileage is pretty good - 10,558km on a used car makes the engine almost as good as new (emphasis on the almost). The car doesn't have a service history, which could mean that an inspection of the engine would be necessary to ensure that the user did actually service the vehicle regularly. Running an engine on old oil can lead to pretty expensive repair work. The rest of the information provided by the auction site tells you about the options that the vehicle has, and the only problem that could prevent you from wanting to buy the car is if a lot of other bidders bid for the vehicle and drive the price up.

For a glimpse at what qualifies as a bad purchase with just the information on the website, scroll down to the BMW Z3 Convertible 1999. The car is from about ten years ago and that would make finding parts difficult, the mileage is quite high, the cost of a service from a local BMW dealership is quite high too. Sure, you could get the car with a low bid but it isn't really worth the amount you would spend on it while driving it around.

For a fair idea of auction prices, ask for the prices that past auctions have been able to fetch and you'll get a fairly good idea of how much to bid for a car.

You realize of course, it's a gas guzzler?Aside from that the Crown Vic's are good, sturdy, well made cars. I drove one for awhile, I do like the feel of that big V8. I think the interceptor package is what is in Police cars? I know the police departments use a lot of Vic's. A friend of mine has one now, he drove it as a taxi for quite some time. They hold up really well.

Hi!@sheepdogI believe police vehicles and taxis used the Crown Victoria because of the great deal that they offer for the engine that they provide. If power is all you are looking for, then the Crown Vic is it! However, for fuel economy, you might want to go in for a Japanese car if you are planning a daily commute. Toyotas and Nissans can get you there without putting a real burden on the planet - the Toyota Yaris, Toyota Corolla, and the Nissan Tiida are good choices if you are concerned about rising fuel prices.