xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
The Simpleton

Ubuntu 10.04 (lucid Lynx) Is Released!

I don't know to what extent Canonical believes the 2009 releases of Ubuntu to be a success, but I for one can't wait to get rid of Karmic Koala (9.10). It hasn't given me much problems but 9.04 and 9.10 have somehow been more troublesome than the previous versions. Anyway, now at last the latest version 10.04, codenamed Lucid Lynx is here; released around an hour ago, and I'm waiting till my clock shows 2am (free bandwidth) so that I can upgrade immediately.

I don't know how many more people on this forum are as excited as me about this release, but I do know that there are quite a few number of Ubuntu fans out there. Well you can get your upgrade/fresh copy at https://www.ubuntu.com/ now ;)

There are a lot of changes in this release but my most favourite one is the faster boot-up time. The folks at Canonical did some major tinkering with the boot process and it's now supposed to be super-fast. Can't wait to try that out :P

Has it updated already? Wow, they sure are doing pretty good o.o Anyway, i'm still fixing my failtop so i guess i'll pend this update. Since it already hours from that 2am free bandwidth of yours, Have you update yours? How is it? Pretty much better than koala or can't find anything different?

Hey Simple, have you already tried it out? How was it? I don't have a computer right now, just died, but will buy soon. I'm thinking of buying a laptop w/o OS and just install Ubuntu in it. If you're initial review of Lucid Lynx, I'll buy the laptop in a few days. Otherwise, I'll research more for better deals.

LL is good so far. I did a fresh install with a separate home partition instead of upgrading from 9.10, i was having issues and wanted to clean it all out.The splash screens and default theme is so much nicer looking than 9.X, fresher and a little like Mac. Boot up time is much better and shutdown time is on the order of under 5 seconds on a modest 1gb 1.something dual core laptop.the app downloader and update manager are pretty much the same and that's all ive tried out so far.No issues whatsoever but i like it!

Has it updated already? Wow, they sure are doing pretty good o.o
Anyway, i'm still fixing my failtop so i guess i'll pend this update. Since it already hours from that 2am free bandwidth of yours, Have you update yours? How is it? Pretty much better than koala or can't find anything different?

Hey Simple, have you already tried it out? How was it?
I don't have a computer right now, just died, but will buy soon. I'm thinking of buying a laptop w/o OS and just install Ubuntu in it. If you're initial review of Lucid Lynx, I'll buy the laptop in a few days. Otherwise, I'll research more for better deals.

Well call it bad luck but I couldn't complete the update : ( The download was finished and the installation process was going on and there was a sudden power cut and it was dead. That's the main disadvantage of updating instead of installing - you lose your old installation too. Maybe there is a way to fix it but I know it'll take a lot of tinkering so I decided to wait until tomorrow and download a fresh copy again.

Well I wasn't able to install it but I can sure share a few words on what the rest of the sensible world is saying about this version ;)

--> The boot time has supposedly been cut down drastically. On old systems it'll be fast but on new systems it's supposed to be fast as lightening!

--> The default theme has been changed to purple and the window control buttons have been moved to the left of the window (this style is used in os x?) That will definitely seem weird for new users :P

--> That was a brief report about the good part. Now the bad part - there's been some discussion about a bug in the release which affects systems with particular graphic cards - it reportedly freezes the system after boot and the user cant do anything except restart. I don't have much info about this bug but it was mentioned for the release candidate - not sure if the final release is free of this bug or not.

I can't review much without installing it, and I'm sure far more advanced users than me are on this forum, and their reviews will be the one to watch out for :P Anyway I plan to stay up till 2 and download and get the OS installed so that I can play with it till it's college time.

I don't have a computer right now, just died, but will buy soon. I'm thinking of buying a laptop w/o OS and just install Ubuntu in it. If you're initial review of Lucid Lynx, I'll buy the laptop in a few days. Otherwise, I'll research more for better deals.

I bought a netbook without an OS a month ago and installed Ubuntu 9.10. That saved me a lot of money and there have been no problems at all. I know some laptop manufacturers ship them with Ubuntu pre-installed but still it would be better to get an empty laptop and install it yourself :D

Still around five hours to go before I get my free bandwidth again - I'm hoping to login tomorrow from Lynx!!

I have just seen a video on Youtube the new Ubuntu is out so I went ahead and downloaded it. I am currently running it on Virtual Box as I really do hate the lack of Windows compatibility on the Ubuntu OS though I do like the layout/theme of it as well as many other features. Though over all Its one I despise of the most.

Now the bad part - there's been some discussion about a bug in the release which affects systems with particular graphic cards - it reportedly freezes the system after boot and the user cant do anything except restart. I don't have much info about this bug but it was mentioned for the release candidate - not sure if the final release is free of this bug or not.

This is something i have been experiencing, at least something similar to it, ever since the beta "testing." The system doesn't freeze per se (as i could still hear the music playing), but the monitor does go into power-saving mode and the mouse or keyboard, or turning the monitor on or off, doesn't make things come back; restarting being the only solution. This has been very random and it has been quite hard to determine the exact issue, but it could be do to composition mode. For me it tends to happen whenever i have Google Chrome and Firefox open and one of them had initiated the flash plug-in sometime in the past (and the system does some window compositing). However, do to the fact that it has happened to be once randomly when i didn't have those two open, i can't say that flash or either browser is the problem. I have yet to do a clean install of Ubuntu (Kubuntu), so i'm not sure if this problem is even present still.

I have just seen a video on Youtube the new Ubuntu is out so I went ahead and downloaded it. I am currently running it on Virtual Box as I really do hate the lack of Windows compatibility on the Ubuntu OS though I do like the layout/theme of it as well as many other features. Though over all Its one I despise of the most.

If you hate the fact of the lack of Windows compatibility on Ubuntu, did you stop to think if there is Ubuntu compatibility on Windows? :P There's Wine for running Windows apps on Ubuntu and if I'm not wrong there's a similar software to run Ubuntu apps on Windows too (not very sure). So that's not a very good reason for not liking Ubuntu ;)

This is something i have been experiencing, at least something similar to it, ever since the beta "testing." The system doesn't freeze per se (as i could still hear the music playing), but the monitor does go into power-saving mode and the mouse or keyboard, or turning the monitor on or off, doesn't make things come back; restarting being the only solution. This has been very random and it has been quite hard to determine the exact issue, but it could be do to composition mode. For me it tends to happen whenever i have Google Chrome and Firefox open and one of them had initiated the flash plug-in sometime in the past (and the system does some window compositing). However, do to the fact that it has happened to be once randomly when i didn't have those two open, i can't say that flash or either browser is the problem. I have yet to do a clean install of Ubuntu (Kubuntu), so i'm not sure if this problem is even present still.

I finally installed the final release and restarted the system at least 10 times in two hours, and luckily, this freezing bug hasn't appeared till now. But there sure are a lot of other bugs that I found!!

If anyone's interested they can read my short, insignificant review of Lynx over here To give the review in a single word---- disappointing! :P

Edited by The Simpleton (see edit history)

Hi!I have been able to get my hands on the latest public release of Ubuntu, which is Ubuntu 10.04. The user interface enhancement do seem to match those of Mac OS so I would think that it's a lawsuit just waiting to happen if Apple can claim that the colors and the presence of the minimize, maximize, and the close buttons on the window title bar have been shifted to the left. Mac OS lovers would probably be more willing to move to linux due to the similarity with their current environment. However, I do think that this would prevent some of the novice Windows users from moving to Ubuntu due to the fact that the layout is different - this may not be Ubuntu's target audience so it may not matter for the most part. I believe Ubuntu targets users who are willing to try something different; this could be Windows users who do not want to shell out the cash for getting a MacBook Pro or even a MacBook, or could be the MacBook users who want to have a cheap PC that they could buy and have a familiar environment to work with. Mac users are usually more receptive to changes than Windows users so I am quite surprised Microsoft has decided to change the way that the task bar works in Windows 7. It is perhaps the single major change that I haven't really like in Windows 7 but fortunately, it is possible to configure the task bar to work the same way as it did in previous versions of Windows by un-pinning the programs from the task bar, setting smaller icons, and disabling the taskbar grouping feature.

@Nitin: While it's true that Ubuntu has changed the default layout of the window buttons to the left, it's very flexible. You can change the default theme and shift back the buttons to the right. I think this facility is not available in Mac? Not sure though. This is the one good thing about Ubuntu and Linux in general - they're flexible and allow you to customize everything; the users just need to know how to do it - that's all....