xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
web_designer

What Do You Do When You Feel Depressed?

everyone of us have his ups and downs in life, no matter how our life is perfect it must be some periods that we feel depressed or sad. sometimes, the consequences are something we can fix, sometimes not. sometimes we get depressed for no reason at all or better say for a simple reason and sometimes for important one. all lead to the same result, we will be in a bad mood, suffer for a few days or weeks maybe or do stupid things that we regret it later. howeverl, we could do something to relax and think more clearly. to get rid of the stress, and return normal. for me i have many things to do to make myself relax, like:go to shopping "if i don't need anything then i will buy the first thing i see ;) ", read one of my favorite books, eat ice cream, talk to my friends, call my dady i love him so much, watch my favorite anime series, listen to my favorite songs, but sometimes i can't do any of those or they didn't work so i write my thoughts in my diary.sometimes doing one thing of this list is enough to refresh me, sometimes not. but at least they are good things to do without side effects. in the other hand, i know people do really stupid things when they get depressed, like:eating too much, fighting with the others with no reason at all, playing video games even it is healthy in a way to relax but not if it is more than usual like playing for ten hours or more, or staying alone and not talking to anyone just giving up and preferring acting tragedy.so, what kind of people you are? and what do you do when you are depressed?

I play my guitar. :PAnd sing, but I sing so terrible that I get depressed again. :D So then I go and learn something online or visit some site to read the news. Maybe then I'll watch some funny video on YouTube (not in terms of cats falling down, but rather some "Jim Carrey-like" comedy). And that's it, the depression is gone! But overall, I don't feel depressed that much when my life is so perfect. :((Okay, not soooo perfect, but pretty perfect, I'd say... ;)) That's my way of relaxing/de-stressation/un-depressing...EDIT: Whoops, almost forgot - I also like to listen to music when I'm down (and when I'm not down :P), that tends to make me feel better.

Edited by Little Asterisk (see edit history)

I play my guitar. biggrin.gif
And sing, but I sing so terrible that I get depressed again. biggrin.gif So then I go and learn something online or visit some site to read the news.

great way to relax little asterisk, i love listening to guitar but in your case i don't think so ;)
learning online is good too, so you are from the minority that can be benefit from their depressed.

anything to take focus off depression is a good thing. there are many things people can do like taking a walk or a jog, listen to music. you suggested writing your thoughts down and that is one of the best ways someone can deal with their depression. you also mentioned video games as long as it's not excessive. i disagree with that. if it helps that person deal with depression, then it's a good thing because although anything excessive is a bad thing, depression can be worse and it involves interaction, hand eye cordination, etc... using a lot of the things that are opposite signs of depression. so playing video games is actually one of the best things you can do if you're in to video games. only problem with that is depression causes irritability so you are more likely to break your game against the wall or on the floor if you aren't beating the game ;)when people get depressed, they become more inactive and less motivated. they don't smile or laugh so even watching a good comedy is a good way to deal with depression. there is no secret key to fight depression, every technique is different and different people will respond differently and it's up to that person to find out what works for them. there are also different kinds of depression. guys will go out drinking and be iritable. women will cut or dye their hair or eat ice cream/chocolate. some go through some mania phase of depression where they can't stop moving and have to do something so they clean the house even if it's already clean or start moving furniture around or they tend to speak faster than normal.but mostly, people will lye in bed or on the couch, not feeling the energy to even force themselves to do the things that might work to kick their depression this is why one of the biggest signs of depression is weight gain because depressed people are not as active as they were before. even if they have no appetite, they will still gain the weight.

i just play tekken 3 or prince of persia whenever im depressed. the violence in these games helps me to relieve myself and i try to put everything into the game so that i return to normal soon. and this actually works. once i was too depressed to do anything -then i forced myself to start playing prince of persia in hard mode from the beginning. within 30 minutes i forgot all about my worries and concentrated only on killing the enemies. slowly all my depression left and i began to feel much better. since then i've never uninstalled these games from my system even though i've played them at least a dozen times each. they really work!

What I do when I'm depressed is mostly the opposite of everything advised here. I lay on my bed, and think. I think for a long time. I think about the reason of my depression. I also eat a lot as well, but I don't gain any weight (I think it's because my thyroxine levels rise to the heavens, but not sure, haven't investigated this...). Okay, where was I, oh yes... So, I think a lot, and I kinda carry my depression around after that, I guess. Acknowledging its existence is better than hiding it like the others do, but as I'm not an optimist, I wouldn't be happy all the time for none-existing reasons anyway. I wonder if I'll emotionally explode some day? Haha, Bani, the walking time bomb.Anyway, when I'm depressed about things that aren't very hmm... "deep", I do things like waste time watching stand-up, go out for a jog (I'd do that anyway), play AssaultCube (FPS), try to learn something online and play drums. Sometimes might even play piano and a lot of sad and depressing blues notes. I might post something here, or have a chat in the shoutbox if anybody is there to speak with me.Reason for EDIT: I has typing skillz

Edited by Baniboy (see edit history)

What I do when I'm depressed is mostly the opposite of everything advised here. I lay on my bed, and think. I think for a long time. I think about the reason of my depression. I also eat a lot as well, but I don't gain any weight (I think it's because my thyroxine levels rise to the heavens, but not sure, haven't investigated this...). Okay, where was I, oh yes... So, I think a lot, and I kinda carry my depression around after that, I guess. Acknowledging its existence is better than hiding it like the others do, but as I'm not an optimist, I wouldn't be happy all the time for none-existing reasons anyway. I wonder if I'll emotionally explode some day? Haha, Bani, the walking time bomb.

oh, bani this is the most hard and direct way to fix your problems and get rid of your stress. i think this way you will be even more depressed ;) but you will fix the whole thing without delay. even focusing on another things to do is kind of wasting time, by avoiding the main problem but it will relax you and clear your mind to take the right decisions.

women will cut or dye their hair or eat ice cream/chocolate.

REALLY? :P the most thing i can do if i was depressed, is going to the salon and try to do the usual things to refresh myself but cutting or dying hair is absolutely the wrong decision to take and 80% she will regret it later ;)

one of the biggest signs of depression is weight gain because depressed people are not as active as they were before. even if they have no appetite, they will still gain the weight.

that's right for most of people. also, there are people who can't eat anything at all, they can't even feel hungry. and this is worse than eating a lot i think.

When I'm depressed I listen mostly to music and think about my problems and try to solve them if there is a solution. Sometimes I make some training/exercises like push-ups and so to get my blood flowing and to think better, and I read my school books or any novel just to stop day-dreaming and get going...Oh e forgot to mention my friend, because when I'm depressed and worried about something I go and talk to him and ask him what would he do in this situation and sometimes I just talk to him not for any advice or so just to tell him my problems... And after a night of sleep all the problems are solved ;)

I know it's not a good thing to do but whenever I'm feelin down instead of going out to take a breath of fresh air and let the sun shine on me ;)) I prefer to stay indoor or with some friends and drink , smoke and listen some good music.The good side is that I dont feel down too often and yet I do the same things :P)..

Depends on how depressed I am. Normally I just sit at my computer, and near enugh drop off to sleep because I can't be bothered to do anything. ;)

oh, bani this is the most hard and direct way to fix your problems and get rid of your stress. i think this way you will be even more depressed ;) but you will fix the whole thing without delay. even focusing on another things to do is kind of wasting time, by avoiding the main problem but it will relax you and clear your mind to take the right decisions.

actually, that can either be a good thing or a bad thing depending on the intent to dwell on things. i used to do the same at one point in my life. i wouldn't lie in bed, but i would sit outside just thinking about all the things i was depressed about. i musta been around 30 at the time. it was the same time when at night, i would drive to the park holding a .357 mag inside my mouth after drinking alot and pulling the trigger half way just to see how far i could pull it without it going off :P i was a mess. but sitting outside every day dwelling and thinking and thinking some more actually helped me. my friends and family told me it was unproductive but to me, it was productive because i really wanted to understand my depression and life more. then one day after about a year of doing this EVERY DAY, i was sitting outside thinking and the most amazing thing happened. it was almost god like. i really never experienced anything like it in my life. thoughts were rushing in my head....not 10-20.....but HUNDREDS of different thoughts within 10 minutes time. they were so real and so insightfull i wanted to get a pad and paper to write them all down but i couldn't because the thoughts were coming way too fast. after about 10 minutes of that. i wasn't depressed anymore. i realized many things in a split second of my life. it was an incredible experience. i forgot most of the things that rushed in my head but i feel the thoughts and the knowing is still inside me and i understand a lot more about who i am and what like is because of that experience. it was everything that was opposite of depression.

so when i see someone dwelling on their depression, yes....it could be a good or bad thing depending on the intention of dwelling on the negative. i think it's a good thing though if someone truely wants to understand themselves better and understand how life works in mysterious ways where we aren't put here on earth to handle more than we can. we are here to learn and grow. learn from the good. learn from the bad. understand that there is a connection to both that most people don't understand because they don't even try.

i was always thankful for that 10 minute experience in my life i will NEVER forget. those 10 minutes is the time where my life was impacted the most by this god like experience. i can't explain it any better than that. it was just amazing. it was almost like god or some higher power was talking to me. i wish everyone could have the chance to experience what i did and i really don't know "why me".

well, anwiii thinking deeply is an important way to fix problems, unless we decided to forget about it and pretend like nothing is happened. but for me, i try to figure out a solution after i get relaxed. i know myself if i did that just right after the problem happened or when i was depressed than all i got is being even more depressed ;) like i said to bani it is so hard to do. and always i loose my temper and be sorry. so i try to relax myself a little, by shopping, ice-cream, talking to friends or write what i feel. sometimes the problem fixed itself without starting to find a solution, sometimes not. which will make me sitting alone in a dark place listen to music or not that depend on my mood and try to think for hours to find a solution. like you said before people differ how to react toward situations.the fact is, if you get depressed from a problem happened in your life, and you do your best to fixed it or relax and fixed it or deciding to avoid it and continue in your life, all that lead to one result. that you will refresh and feel better again. but if you are depressed from something happened in your life that you don't have control on it, either thinking or not thinking will lead to nowhere, then that is the true problem. for example, if you lost someone close to you, i mean if that person is dead. of course you will be depressed, and that depending on how much he is close to you and how sensitive you are. that is the real problem, when you can't get rid of depression for months or maybe years. and that what make a lot of people become ill psychologically and mentally. because they can't fix a situation happened in their life and be happy again.