xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Little Asterisk

How To Remove The Malware... ...that claims to be an antivirus

I wasn't sure where to post this topic, so in the end I decided to go for the "tutorials" section. And in a way, this actually is a tutorial.

It's not involved around removing "normal" malware and viruses, but around just one particular virus. It's a nasty little bugger that claims to be an antivirus software (AntiVirus 2009, I think) which has found a possibly lethal threat to your computer that needs to be removed.

However, to remove the threat you must visit their site and buy their software... Of course, don't do that because it won't solve anything.

But scanning the PC with "classic" antivirus/antispyware programs also won't do the trick. You need to download Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware (there are other apps, but I like this one the most). If you'd like, you can buy the full version, but the free one will also remove your AntiVirus 2009.

After installation of Malwarebyte's Anti Malware, simply run the scan and remove AV 2009. If you get into trouble with scanning (which you shouldn't), here's a video that explains how to do a quick scan.

And it's as easy as that! Give yourself a good ol' pat on the back, because you deserve it! (Sorry for the cheesy outro, I just remembered Ned Flanders from The Simpsons ;))

This is a problem a friend of mine had with Windows 7 a while back where the program would pretend to be Windows Defender or some related security program and it prevented him from accessing the internet and running certain software which the program declared "unsafe." I had recommended him the very same program at that time and he says that solved the problem. It seems like this program is one of the few, if not the only, programs that can get rid of this problem (at least by online recommendation). But it is problems like these that make people want to consider other operating systems that are not part of the Windows family.

that's correct, i got a malware before on my pc, i tried to remove it using the antiviurs but it didn't work. at last, i searched for the malware removal and it works. the strange thing why the antivirus can't fix this problem even it should to do that, and make you operating system secure and safe.

Malwarebytes is a really amazing apps (overstatement). I used to do freelance computer repairs and it's not surprising if you bump into Windows Defender 2009, Antivirus 2009 and 2010, Antispyware 2009 and 2010, Anti-XXXX 2009 or 2010 and more and more. Obviously, these are malwares. And the funny thing about these malware, it would automatically display a blue screen of death and make it look like your computer is restarting, when it's actually not. Going back to Malwarebytes. To get rid of these annoyances, installing Malwarebytes and performing a quick scan, does the trick most of the times. Of course there are weird issues beyond the power of Malwarebytes. (The premium version might be really powerful.)

Malwarebyetes antimalware and spybot search and destroy are two programs which work just fine to remove such bots and crap from your computer. You can even use adaware program to remove some of the malwares which are usually undetected by these two program. Having these 3 programs is enough on system to remove malware and some root scripts. You don't need to let these programs run but you can use it to scan regularly. If you let it run while system startup and while using computer then chances are adaware and spybot will eat some memory. So run it only when needed.

Malwarebyetes antimalware and spybot search and destroy are two programs which work just fine to remove such bots and crap from your computer. You can even use adaware program to remove some of the malwares which are usually undetected by these two program. Having these 3 programs is enough on system to remove malware and some root scripts. You don't need to let these programs run but you can use it to scan regularly. If you let it run while system startup and while using computer then chances are adaware and spybot will eat some memory. So run it only when needed.

Are you sure about Spybot? Because I'm pretty certain that Spybot (nor Avira Antivirus, for that matter) didn't do the trick in my case - I had to Google for the answer.

P.S. While talking about Googling for these answers, I suggest that to everyone who isn't sure which program to use when in need of removing some spyware. Just type in the name of your undesired guest, or the description (you can even put it in quotation marks) and you should get your answer.

Little Asterisk, over and out. ;)

i once had the same problem and used a software called avast its a free download if you get the home version from the avast dot com website. Anyway I hpe you have managed to get rid of it by now cause damn the little buggers are irritating. You can also use the AVG but that was a recommeneded solution by a friend. Avast worked just fine for me.

All the above posts contain excellent advice, all programs mentioned do the job, all in their own way, of course, and, after all, everybody has their own preference to the antivirus, spyware and malware programs they use.

However, here is another real killer which does a very detailed search and seems to look where the other ones have sopped.

Simply go to the microsoft website and download the latest version of Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool.

Then (it might be a good idea to do that before going to bed and letting the computer do the job overnight, as, depending on how much there is on your hard disk drive, it might take quite a few hours), reboot your machine, and start it up again in Safe Mode by rapidly tapping the F8 key while the computer boots up.

(It is very important you start up your machine in Safe Mode).

Once your machine has booted up, run the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool and tell it to do a full scan.

Then, leave he machine to it and when the program has finished remember this might take several hours depending on the amount of data on your hard disk) you will se a list of the malware that was removed (if any).

You will notice it often removes pieces of very stubborn malware that other programs sometimes overlook.

Good luck.

All above suggestions are great as well as informative regarding virus removal. My Idea is to insert a linux live CD and boot with it, then explore the drives and find any suspicious file or folders. But be careful, you need to be a expert for that else you may end up with deleting all your useful documents. And get a Quick heal/Kaspersky boot disk and scan for any virus and malwares.Thanks,Ronnie

Hello friends,Malware--even if you have an antivirus program installed on it. Though other problems, such as hardware issues, can produce similar symptoms, it's best to check for malware if you aren't sure. But you don't necessarily need to call tech support or the geek across the street to scan for malware--I'll show you how to do it yourself.RegardsVicky Milza