xisto Community
Saint_Michael

Mcafee Update Shuts Down Xp Run Computers

Article

Well I think I am glad that I move to Windows 7 since it seems a lot of people on XP run computer got nailed big time by a McAfee Security Suite update litterally shuts done your computer. Well the article is self explanatory and so if you feel your computer has been affected by this, then read the article as it is updated to let those know the current situation. As for the current update the only fix out there is for those who have not updated their computers yet and so those who are still affected by this problem will have to wait it out a bit longer.

Thank's God i'm not using any antivirus !
I think i heart about the same problem years ago , that happened with the free version of AVG , where users had to format their PC's after a malicious update , but AVG gave them free copies of AVG pro , i hoped if i downloaded that but i wasn't using antivirus at that time neither !

Twitter is basically going nuts,

This is going to be tweeted and retweeted billion times !

Article

Well I think I am glad that I move to Windows 7 since it seems a lot of people on XP run computer got nailed big time by a McAfee Security Suite update litterally shuts done your computer. Well the article is self explanatory and so if you feel your computer has been affected by this, then read the article as it is updated to let those know the current situation.

It only seems to be affecting corporate customers rather than personal PCs, but I know many companies encourage employees to install the enterprise antivirus on their personal computers (I know my University does) so that may well cause a lot more problems than they anticipate. The numbers are also huge - companies are reporting numbers of affected PCs in the tens of thousands, and this is a worldwide issue.

As for the current update the only fix out there is for those who have not updated their computers yet and so those who are still affected by this problem will have to wait it out a bit longer.

They've now released a fix for computers than have been borked by this update, but the process to fix them is a long one, involving booting into safe mode, manually updating the antivirus, and copying a version of the affected file from a working XP machine. Not so bad if you've only got a dozen or so PCs to fix, but a big company with thousands of computers has got a long task ahead of them.

Thank's God i'm not using any antivirus !

That's just downright dangerous if you're running Windows ;)

I think i heart about the same problem years ago , that happened with the free version of AVG , where users had to format their PC's after a malicious update , but AVG gave them free copies of AVG pro , i hoped if i downloaded that but i wasn't using antivirus at that time neither !

It will be interesting to see if McAfee offer any sort of compensation to companies affected by this update. No doubt their terms and conditions contain a small clause allowing them to destroy your PCs, but they should really be fixing this themselves.

Too true, id rather risk getting my windows machine bricked than getting a keylogger which then steals my millions from the bank, deletes my personal stuff, hijacks my email and then spreads itself!Of course if you are running linux/mac this all doesnt apply, but if youre running windows then i can assure you that a dodgy AV update is the least of your worries!I run XP SP3 but im not stupid enough to install Mcafee! XD

i'm not using windows 7 and mcafee both. and i think for business and commercial company ,it's a big attack from mcafee false identi,i'm using avast free,it's not powerful but it's all right now on my desktop. ;):P