xisto Community
networker

U.s. Teens Send 100 Texts A Day Third of phone owning U.S. teens send 100 texts a day

Teen Txting Problem  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I agree fully. When ones communication is limited, I think people are a little bit more sincere. Firing off many text messages in a day just waters down this sincerity considerably. Definitly a case of people letting the machines do all of theirwork for them in every way.

People aren't going to be capable of face-to-face human interaction soon. And what substance is in these micro-messages? Next to none

I couldn't agree with you more. What is the point in a continuous string of hi how r u going on all day? It teaches absolutly nothing and encourages bad grammer and spelling and a good start towards the complete inhability to deal face to face with real people. It is absoluly a huge waste of time and energy.

News findings by Reuters says that U.S. Teens with Cell Phones send about a hundred text messages a day. A HUNDRED! I don't even get 100 text messages in a year!;) Text Messages or SMS are becoming a popular method of communication nowadays, especially among young teens. A study by a group has found that texting is more popular and is used as a mean of communication more than calls, instant messaging, social networking or regular first-hand talking. The new 'unlimited' plans for texting are actually boosting this amount.

The study's author Scott Campbell said the study also revealed texting habits. Whilst boys tended to not use punctuation, girls found them essential. "If a girl puts a period at the end of a text message (to another girl) then it comes across as she's mad." Campbell also said this explained girls' frequent use of smiley emoticons.

These messages are really screwing up the minds of young people, at least in my opinion. This is how a tipping point occurs and something like Columbine or Virgina Tech Massacre happens, It messes up your emotions. A joke can become a nightmare. They actually EXCEPT messages, you are making them mad by not texting them back.

Society has come to a point where texts and tweets become our preferred mechanism of communication. People aren't going to be capable of face-to-face human interaction soon. And what substance is in these micro-messages? Next to none. We should be embarassed but instead we celebrate. Next we'll wear hats on our feet and hamburgers will eat people. And we'll celebrate that too.

Ok, maybe hamburgers won't eat people. But I think I might not be the only one with a opinion on this. What about you guys? :P

100 SMS a day !!!
How many teenagers in USA ? If you love math , so with a simple calucalation you will find that Teen,agers are spending a lot of money , actually billions of dollars a year just to say something they actually could say better face-to-face !

I think that this money can be spent on feeding people in africa , or to help building haiti ...etc not to say " hi , miss you" with an SMS !

Society has come to a point where texts and tweets become our preferred mechanism of communication.

I agree totally with deadmad ! we all are attached in some way in all this technology , and in that time we , or some of us , forget about the true value of emotions, of communication ; to say hi to a friend in person doesn't equal to send him an SMS with that word!To say I love you mom on mother's day , you need to do it in person and not with an SMS !

Next we'll wear hats on our feet and hamburgers will eat people

We'll wear hats on feets , i think that will be funny , but hamburgers eating us?! come on !

I don't understand it when kids in my class send text messages. I got to see what they were sending once, and the topic was completely irrelevant and obsolete. I wonder if they send text messages for the sake of sending them. They justify their massive amount of sending by saying that if they don't send, then they're wasting their plan benefits, and justify renewing that plan on the basis that they send a lot of text messages. Well, in any case, the people who send texts constantly usually don't do very well in school anyways.

Don't laugh.... But I average 10,000 a month, and maxed 12,000 one month.I know what you all are saying, you can just say it in their face and stuff, but really, you can't. That costs MORE money to go drive somewhere and say something to their face. Don't get me wrong, I don't alway text, I hang out with people, I bike, I row boats, I work on cars, I build sets for plays, et cetera. I do, though, text while doing things, so thats where all the texts come from, I am great at texting while doing things. I'm not sure howmany texts I get during the school year, but it cuts down by at least 7/8 of what I usually text, because I don't text at school, I just see it as pointless, and because I don't spend a lot of time being bored, I am always occupied by Homework, Play, or hanging out.If it helps, I am 15. Don't judge, haha.

wow, a huge number of text messages, about 300 sms a day, i wonder who pay for that ;) but according to your age and activity i think it is normal. after all it is very nice to have a lot of friends that you get along with them like that.

for me the most amount of text messages i received about 50 but only for one day and with a special conditions. other times maybe 5-10 if there is an occasion or something, the average is 2. but still sms is so fun and great way to communicate between people.

My parents do--very grateful! They told me i need to lessen on my texting, its not because of the fee that ensues, but is because they think of how much time it takes out of my life, but what they don't get is that I do this during my life. Also, I have unlimited text messages. It is a very convenient tool for me, contacting friends for homework, or telling homework, sometimes you can't always engage in a conversation in real life, or over the phone, so you must text.

But also Its not just one person I text, its around a range of 20 different people I text, so it is not like I am addicted to very few people, its a wide variety.

Don't laugh.... But I average 10,000 a month, and maxed 12,000 one month.
I know what you all are saying, you can just say it in their face and stuff, but really, you can't. That costs MORE money to go drive somewhere and say something to their face. Don't get me wrong, I don't alway text, I hang out with people, I bike, I row boats, I work on cars, I build sets for plays, et cetera. I do, though, text while doing things, so thats where all the texts come from, I am great at texting while doing things. I'm not sure howmany texts I get during the school year, but it cuts down by at least 7/8 of what I usually text, because I don't text at school, I just see it as pointless, and because I don't spend a lot of time being bored, I am always occupied by Homework, Play, or hanging out.

If it helps, I am 15.

Don't judge, haha.

wow, a huge number of text messages, about 300 sms a day, i wonder who pay for that ;)
but according to your age and activity i think it is normal. after all it is very nice to have a lot of friends that you get along with them like that.

for me the most amount of text messages i received about 50 but only for one day and with a special conditions. other times maybe 5-10 if there is an occasion or something, the average is 2. but still sms is so fun and great way to communicate between people.

Some years ago, my sms counts at 3,000+ per month. That works out to be about 100 a day. Nowadays, I dont use sms as much. In fact, I have reverted to the good old ways of picking up the phone and pressing on the dials.With such high usage of sms, the only people who will benefit are the service providers.

10,000 SMS a month ! i'm not judging you , but it's a lot even for someone at your age!I think i have sent about 20 messages in my entire life , or something , and i have received like 300 messages or so , but they all came from the mobile company , so i don't have the SMS culture but from the other hand , i can see that people like tramposch , have a great way of advertising.I don't know if you guys see it the way i do , but i think SMS messaging will be a good internet marketing method if used the right way !10,000 SMS! to 20 different persons , who will SMS another 400 different persons they know ......etc it's VIRAL ! if tramposch and his friends use this the right way , then i think nothing will equal it , not the email marketing. ..nothing !Think about it people

I couldn't agree with you more. What is the point in a continuous string of hi how r u going on all day? It teaches absolutly nothing and encourages bad grammer and spelling and a good start towards the complete inhability to deal face to face with real people. It is absoluly a huge waste of time and energy.

You make it seem as if all way say when texting is basically;
>"Hi, what sup?"
"Nothing, you?"
>"Nothing."
end of conversation
One hour later:
>"Hi, what sup?"
"Nothing, you?"
>"Nothing."

Its not really like that, I have conversations, talk about matters, what went on in school, things like that. Also, I can deal face to face with real people, I go to school, where I deal with friends, teachers and things like that. I go to backstage where I deal with other workers, Actors, and more teachers. I hang out with friends, where I deal with all my friends, I go to stores, deal with the owners of mechanic stores, and many companies working on sponsorships for a race. I have no disability of face to face confrontation, I can see where you are going, but we all go to school, we all hang out, even though we text a lot doesn't mean you don't see your friends. Sometimes you carry on the same conversation from a text in real life, but the difference is you can add gestures, emotions, and details in real life, so texting doesn't always cut it, I know that.

Now for grammar, I see many people who are beginning to bring the texting grammar into forums, emails, and even real life communication. Now I'm not one to do this, I text will full words, with proper grammar, and I also speak to my friends, type emails, and forums with proper grammar and spelling. Those people

Some years ago, my sms counts at 3,000+ per month. That works out to be about 100 a day. Nowadays, I dont use sms as much. In fact, I have reverted to the good old ways of picking up the phone and pressing on the dials.
With such high usage of sms, the only people who will benefit are the service providers.

I do, also, make a lot of phone calls; sometimes a text message isn't enough to describe something, or explain something.

My texts have cut back a great amount this semester of school though, I am interested to see how many I have sent this month, or last month.

10,000 SMS a month ! i'm not judging you , but it's a lot even for someone at your age!I think i have sent about 20 messages in my entire life , or something , and i have received like 300 messages or so , but they all came from the mobile company , so i don't have the SMS culture but from the other hand , i can see that people like tramposch , have a great way of advertising.

I don't know if you guys see it the way i do , but i think SMS messaging will be a good internet marketing method if used the right way !
10,000 SMS! to 20 different persons , who will SMS another 400 different persons they know ......etc it's VIRAL ! if tramposch and his friends use this the right way , then i think nothing will equal it , not the email marketing. ..nothing !
Think about it people

It is a lot for my age, It is not like it consumes too much of my time, I have a QWERTY keyboard on my phone, which also makes things more speedy. Text messaging is just like.. people using AIM, how many messages on aim, or msn, or other instant messengers do you send? Or how m any forum posts do you make, or how many forums. This is all just from a phone, think of the forums you are a part of as being your friends, and the posts you make as your texts, some of you do that a lot, its basically... the same thing just from a phone. I don't know how you guys are really all that surprised, I mean I hold conversations with people, if I average 10,000 texts a month, that means around 300 a day, and I am awake for about 18 hours a day, that's a text every four minutes, sounds bad, but if you think about it, its a conversation, you don't send one message then another a day later to keep up the conversation, you know?

I'm not trying to defend myself, but I think it seems like some people have a lack of understanding about texting, its easier, more simple then making a phone call, going to a computer and getting on a forum, and it keeps everybody together, in contact and knowing what happens.

Hopefully people understand, and have more respect for people who text a lot.

it's not an average of 300 a day. it's an average of more like 325 a day. if each one takes 20 seconds to send, you are spending almost 2 hours of texting a day.well, at first it seems excessive(it actually is excessive), but you know what? as long as it's not interfering with school and any chores you may have to do, i don't see a problem with it. if i were your parents though, i would be getting annoyed at all the sounds your phone makes when a text comes in though. i don't know if your stats on how much you use your phone is right though. you may sleep 6 hours, kids are usually in school for another 8 hours so that's 10 hours where you actually have an opportunity to text including the weekends.it's a new generation evidently and all it really is is another form of communication. i really do hope it's not interfering with other parts of your life though but that isn't really up for me to judge. i thought 100 a day was a lot......but 325? if you maxed out at 12,000 one month, that's an average of 400 a day ;)let me ask you something. are you the only one sending out that many messages? because if you had to reply to 325 messages a day, i could see how it would take double the amount of time to read each message and reply. so instead of 2 hours of texting a day, that would be 4 hours of texting a day. that would explain better your stats of 1 message every 4 minutes for 18 hours straight on average. i really have a hard time seeing how this doesn't interfere with other daily activities and responsibilities. so now i now why sotw was delayed. you were TEXTING haha

it's not an average of 300 a day. it's an average of more like 325 a day. if each one takes 20 seconds to send, you are spending almost 2 hours of texting a day.
well, at first it seems excessive(it actually is excessive), but you know what? as long as it's not interfering with school and any chores you may have to do, i don't see a problem with it. if i were your parents though, i would be getting annoyed at all the sounds your phone makes when a text comes in though.

i don't know if your stats on how much you use your phone is right though. you may sleep 6 hours, kids are usually in school for another 8 hours so that's 10 hours where you actually have an opportunity to text including the weekends.

it's a new generation evidently and all it really is is another form of communication. i really do hope it's not interfering with other parts of your life though but that isn't really up for me to judge. i thought 100 a day was a lot......but 325? if you maxed out at 12,000 one month, that's an average of 400 a day ;)

let me ask you something. are you the only one sending out that many messages? because if you had to reply to 325 messages a day, i could see how it would take double the amount of time to read each message and reply. so instead of 2 hours of texting a day, that would be 4 hours of texting a day. that would explain better your stats of 1 message every 4 minutes for 18 hours straight on average.

i really have a hard time seeing how this doesn't interfere with other daily activities and responsibilities. so now i now why sotw was delayed. you were TEXTING haha

I mean i see what you mean, but regular people around my age I'd say.. watch a lot of TV, more than two hours a day. I don't. I hardly ever watch TV, so I guess this is my compensation for not watching TV. I do understand the taking twice as long to read thing, makes sense.

Also if you were wondering I've sent and received less than 100 text messages this month just because I have got a very busy schedule. I wake up at 6:00 in the morning, get ready to go to school, I have my regular school day which ends at around 3:00. Backstage work session starts at 3:00, and ends at 6:00 and then rehearsal for the play begins at 6:00 and ends at 10:30 and then I get home and do my homework, so I don't have time for texting whatsoever, and on the weekends I'm with friends basically from friday until monday, so my phone usually dies from the phone pretty quickly. So this month is an exception I guess :P

And that was why the SOTW was delayed.

Before twitter, there was texting. Share your thoughts and status by texting it to your friends. That's why it works well with teenagers, the confused who love to have their voice heard! I used to send 100+ text messages a day. (of course, I live in what they call "texting capital of the world")