xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
nirvaman

Google's Password System Hit By Hack In December Cyberattack on Google Said to Hit Password System

News

I think you all heart about Google's hacking , some people believed it , some didn't , but now we heart from Nytimes that hackers have taken control of a password system that controls all the google's web services.

Ever since Google disclosed in January that Internet intruders had stolen information from its computers, the exact nature and extent of the theft has been a closely guarded company secret. But a person with direct knowledge of the investigation now says that the losses included one of Google?s crown jewels, a password system that controls access by millions of users worldwide to almost all of the company?s Web services, including e-mail and business applications

And we thought that google was unbreakable?!!

As i may understood from the news article , the intruders took advantage of a system password , sort of a master password for all the Google's web services such as Adsense ,adwords,gmail ,analytics ,docs ....etc.

The problem is , what if these intruders took users passwords ? they said they didn't , but what if they did?!

II remember that i've seen people saying they had their Adwords accounts hacked , in january , but i thought it may be different cases , but now i surely suspect that the intrusion was bigger then they officially said !

The intruders do not appear to have stolen passwords of Gmail users, and the company quickly started making significant changes to the security of its networks after the intrusions. But the theft leaves open the possibility, however faint, that the intruders may find weaknesses that Google might not even be aware of, independent computer experts said.

Intruders may find weaknesses , and if they did , then i will think again about my privat informations on the Google platform !

When Google first announced the thefts, the company said it had evidence that the intrusions had come from China.The attacks have been traced to computers at two campuses in China, but investigators acknowledge that the true origin may have been concealed, a quintessential problem of cyberattacks.

Why do Google put all the blame on China ? the first suspect if Google's have a problem is China !!

What do you think about that ?

First of all, Google can't push all the blame on China. Just because the targets are Chinese rights activists, one can't assume that it was the Chinese who targeted them. Real proof would be something like an IP address, but then they could directly track where the hackers originated.Hackers take advantage of loopholes and weaknesses in a system. If these hackers found Google's weakness and exploited it, why didn't they make good use of it? Google can't be certain that they didn't take any passwords (but then again, the hackers would only be able to see hashed passwords, so I guess it wouldn't really matter).Maybe it's all another conspiracy.

First of all, Google can't push all the blame on China. Just because the targets are Chinese rights activists, one can't assume that it was the Chinese who targeted them. Real proof would be something like an IP address, but then they could directly track where the hackers originated.
Hackers take advantage of loopholes and weaknesses in a system. If these hackers found Google's weakness and exploited it, why didn't they make good use of it? Google can't be certain that they didn't take any passwords (but then again, the hackers would only be able to see hashed passwords, so I guess it wouldn't really matter).

Maybe it's all another conspiracy.

Comapny like google is not a startup in 2010 to just make such comment against any country. They've enough sources to prove their claim. And besides that google was facing the issue from hackers and government for quite some time now.

And hackers making good use of google;s info ? they can do that any time. but how will you find out that those hackers used it or not. as if hackers are going to publicize any deal against google competitor. and conspiracy ? against what china ? how much google earn from china to begin with ? with restricted promotions and limited reach towards customers, how much any internet company will earn from country like china ? conspiracy is other way round imo. Chinese govt maybe kicking all non-china merchants and business out of country to avoid capitalism ;) who knows ? can't trust china govt anyway.

Even if it is China , Google as a company doesn't have the right to blame a country! it should let the investigators do their job , and tell us who was behind that attack.

And i don't think that China (government of China) leaded that attck , China is a great and big country it will not play with Google wich will remain a company whatever it will grow !

I think who did that , if we assume that the attack came from china , was Chinese hackers , not all the Chinese people (arround 1 billion 300 millions people) and not the Chinese government because i think they have many other things to do then hacking Google !

Quite frankly everyone should stop doing business with them since China doesn't want our businesses inside their crappy land.

I hope oneday we can do that , but we won't , simply because that we need them and they don't , we need chinese to do things that we can't do! things that they do in such a good manner and for some bucks .

It has to be China because if their computer systems are that weak, then that country would have be ruined by now with all the attacks. China is most definately doing it and the whole world knows, but we can't do anything about it because of China's stance on being a political bully to the whole world. Quite frankly everyone should stop doing business with them since China doesn't want our businesses inside their crappy land.

Chinese government because i think they have many other things to do then hacking Google !

Almost every other country knows about how deceptive china could be. So there is no way we can say that they've better things to do. as they enjoy capturing neighboring lands it's really makes any person wary of china's intention.And it's one hard truth that we need to accept that china doesn't like business from outsiders in their country. Name one good foreign business doing much better in china than any other country. you'll not find any such business as people are into over-patriotism and support govt slavery. Both china govt and hackers are happy to kick google outside. Even if microsoft comes in tomorrow they'll get kicked in same way with some lame reasons. MS just needs to pose some threat to any of business model of govt.