xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Spudd

Paper Mario 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

I know this game is pretty old now; I just recently bought it, though. I had rented it twice in the past, and thought it was really something, so recently I had the urge to play it again and bought it. I purchased it online and when they shipped it it came all scratched up and didn't work and had to get a replacement which made me made, but I digress. It's an amazing game; I wish more RPGs were like this one. Many RPGs (Final Fantasy games, I'm looking at you) try to be more like movies, and don't involve the player in anything really important unless they absolutely have to. If that bugs you, the Paper Mario games will be a breath of fresh air. Sure, they (or at least the first two,) are still turn based, but every action in battle has the player do some sort of tricky input to make the moves work better, and you can dodge and block enemy attacks with god timing too. The characters in it are also very likable; they are all well characterized, and some of them have some awesome back-stories as well. I think it's a load of fun, and highly recommend it.

If anyone's having trouble finding the game I bought mine online from Gamestop's website for $15.00, about $20 with shipping. You can also get it on Amazon for a fairly low price.

I beat it back when I rented it, so I guess you could say I'm on my second play-through. I'm on chapter 5 right now, Keelhaul Key. I think I'm level 14 and have roughly 15 hours on my savefile. The game is still fun the second time around.

This and the N64 original are two of my favorite games of all time. I tend to think that the original is a little better, but both games are superb and you will want to play both of them. This was the first Mario RPG game I played, and it is truly an awesome game, the best of the Paper Mario Series. Super Paper Mario is excellent as far as Mario games go, but Super Paper Mario is more of the old-school platformer-adventure genre than a true RPG. Paper Mario Thousand Year Door takes everything from the first Paper Mario game and expands upon it going much deeper than the first. I find this game a dramatic improvement on its excellent predecessor, particularly in terms of story and humor actually, I think it's one of the funniest and most charming games of all time. The characters are both your party members and supporting characters outside of the party and has some memorable and frequently hilarious, and many of the locations you visit are among the most inventive I've encountered in games.You never "beat" the game. It's like pokemon, where you beat it, then you can go and do whatever you missed, it doesn't do that whole "you beat it, so now you're right before the final boss again" deal.

Edited by deadmad7 (see edit history)