xisto Community
Gammmae105

Touch Screen Difference

Why is it that the iPhone is finger-sensitive and the NDS is pressure sensitive? Can one or the other really call itself a "touch-screen"? Just wanted to know what you guys thought. In my opinion, the iPhone should have both touchscreen capabilities(finger and pressure-sensitivity). What do you guys think?

I would imagine each company felt their technology/method is/was better for their products. When I work with optics project we had to decide between CCD and CMOS. At the end it came to hybrid of CMOS and our own hardware.

I believe this is just the beginning of touchscreen technology. In just short years we'll see even greater touch computing and multiple touch/gesture devices. I saw a remote operating robotic arms that actually gave pressure feedback to a surgeon using reverse touch technology--causes fingers to feel small bumps and pushing forces embedded inside gloves.

I would imagine each company felt their technology/method is/was better for their products. When I work with optics project we had to decide between CCD and CMOS. At the end it came to hybrid of CMOS and our own hardware.
I believe this is just the beginning of touchscreen technology. In just short years we'll see even greater touch computing and multiple touch/gesture devices. I saw a remote operating robotic arms that actually gave pressure feedback to a surgeon using reverse touch technology--causes fingers to feel small bumps and pushing forces embedded inside gloves.

Aw man! This is ONLY the beginning of "Touch" technology? I thought we could FINALLY move on to the Mind Control technology we have seeing since the 80's :D iMind, iControl, meAndroid, htControl or whatever its going to called... i would rather end with the touch screens that are here right now! Well, actually i would like that Touch thing that they have Iron Man, Criminal Minds and those high tech offices commercial where there is a computer screen like a glass and its completely transparent and then they have like Bio data of the criminal on it/tony stark as the blueprint of iron man suits? And they touch it and then a little "wave" comes out? That would be cool! But are those possible? And if they are, when could we see the first prototypes of them? 5 years or 20 years or something like that?

Aw man! This is ONLY the beginning of "Touch" technology? I thought we could FINALLY move on to the Mind Control technology we have seeing since the 80's :D iMind, iControl, meAndroid, htControl or whatever its going to called... i would rather end with the touch screens that are here right now! Well, actually i would like that Touch thing that they have Iron Man, Criminal Minds and those high tech offices commercial where there is a computer screen like a glass and its completely transparent and then they have like Bio data of the criminal on it/tony stark as the blueprint of iron man suits? And they touch it and then a little "wave" comes out? That would be cool! But are those possible? And if they are, when could we see the first prototypes of them? 5 years or 20 years or something like that?

The beginning of touch technology. So funny to hear people say that, like Apple invented it. They didn't, they stole it just like they stole everything else. They just have a killer marketing team. That is the only difference.

Touch screen devices have been around for a while. First in POS in stores, then in hand held devices like the Palms and pocket PCs. I have been using them since early 2000s. So yes I agree that it is in it's infancy and can progress greatly, but let's not kid ourselves. It's been around for a while.

The beginning of touch technology. So funny to hear people say that, like Apple invented it. They didn't, they stole it just like they stole everything else. They just have a killer marketing team. That is the only difference.

Read correctly, i didn't mention that Apple invented it. I just said it as a "general" way like its just starting. And they didn't "steal" it, there hasn't been just usable touch screen platforms like iPhone and iTouch and iPad ever before. If ANYBODY else made such a great device, im sure they would have stolen the spotlight, for example Google or Microsoft. And its not always about the marketing, its more about the word of mouth with these kinds of things and those sleek looks.

Touch screen devices have been around for a while. First in POS in stores, then in hand held devices like the Palms and pocket PCs. I have been using them since early 2000s. So yes I agree that it is in it's infancy and can progress greatly, but let's not kid ourselves. It's been around for a while.

I have even used the first Palm Pilot which was made in 1996 and all the way upto the iPhone 4 releases last month, so i know what I'm talking about.. most of the time.

Read correctly, i didn't mention that Apple invented it. I just said it as a "general" way like its just starting. And they didn't "steal" it, there hasn't been just usable touch screen platforms like iPhone and iTouch and iPad ever before. If ANYBODY else made such a great device, im sure they would have stolen the spotlight, for example Google or Microsoft. And its not always about the marketing, its more about the word of mouth with these kinds of things and those sleek looks.

I have even used the first Palm Pilot which was made in 1996 and all the way upto the iPhone 4 releases last month, so i know what I'm talking about.. most of the time.

I agree with you, and please forgive me, I was not saying you said they invented it, it's just that's the mentality of those who use the iphone and think that apple invented it. It's that whole, mac is better than God attitude.

Yes, the palm was a sweet object at the time. And they could have really gone far, but I guess a slick marketing team is all it take these days to make a company worth anything. Look at Geico....