xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ash-Bash

Getting A Url Shortner Popular

Hello all,You may of seen some of the sites I run now I want to focus on this 'TinyLX' URL shortner website I have made, I get about 30 URL's shortened every day.Though I really do want it more popular can any of you suggest some sort of idea's to achieve this. Thanks in advance!

well personally i absolutely HATE short urls. they are all shady. but for the sake of the suggestion, i suggest to promote it different ways. one advantage to short urls, it shortens affiliate links and semi hides them. you can promote your site that way and attract affiliate users. i don't like any short url that starts with "tiny" or has it in it's domain. it's too cliche and unoriginal. a better short domain can do wonders to the traffic too. something you didn't pre plan at all i see.

Hello all,
You may of seen some of the sites I run now I want to focus on this 'TinyLX' URL shortner website I have made, I get about 30 URL's shortened every day.
Though I really do want it more popular can any of you suggest some sort of idea's to achieve this.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by anwiii (see edit history)

Wow, seems to work really well, even better than TinyURL, if you ask me. (You get shorter URLs and the layout is less cluttered.) Small URLs are generally a good thing for putting your site in a signature with limited character space, and for that I think sites like this are an excellent utility.As for advertising it, there are many ways you can go about it. You can, as another poster already pointed out, put a link to your site in your signature. You can also affiliate with other sites, which might bring in a little traffic. (It appears that you already have a few.) Then there are those top 100 sites; they aren't perfect, but they can get you some hits as well. Hope these suggestions are helpful.

Ask other bloggers and forum members to use it. More they use for their blogging or other needs i'll get popular. Other than just redirection does this script offer stats and wordpress integration ? If yes, then that will help a lot. Concentrate on adding more features instead of promoting it too early. if you allow wordpress integration and stats feature it'll be easier for other bloggers and users to promote it.Short URL's are used by squidoo, infobarrel and other site members so try promoting it to them. also how many forums you've joined so far ? try promoting it over there.

Well, although I'm not a huge user of url shorteners because I haven't tweeted much recently, I must admit I was very impressed for your site.Not only does it shorten urls, but also has a few more stuff that are great. For example, those tweeter services seem to be quite handy for those who tweet daily.Also, Lockerz invites! I've just registered the invite you sent me and I'm already earning points...However, I'd like to suggest you a few things.First, you need a bookmarklet. One of those links that you drag to the bookmarks bar and then when you want to shorten a link, just drag the link to the bookmarklet. The instant submitter you placed in the top right corner of the screen only directs you to your homepage.Moreover, I like the design of the homepage but you can add more info on the other services you offer, because they are quite useful! Of course, the bar where we put the URL is perfect, it's what we are looking for so it has to be big and centred. But it's not the only thing that the visitor may like. Even more, that Tweeter Scheduler, for example, may be one of the reasons for which a visitor may stick to TinyLX instead of running back to your competitors.Also, another recommendation about design, which I assume you'll already have in mind, is that shorten.php (the "results" page) needs the same design as the rest of the site. And those sharing buttons don't work, which is really frustrating.Well, and finally, as everybody else said, you have to promote it everywhere! ;)

Maybe put the URL in your signatures and optimize your site SEO.

I have been working on this for a while and Have done META tags a decent title etc.

well personally i absolutely HATE short urls. they are all shady. but for the sake of the suggestion, i suggest to promote it different ways. one advantage to short urls, it shortens affiliate links and semi hides them. you can promote your site that way and attract affiliate users. i don't like any short url that starts with "tiny" or has it in it's domain. it's too cliche and unoriginal. a better short domain can do wonders to the traffic too. something you didn't pre plan at all i see.

Who needs to preplan? that is what makes products like this rather fun and challenging. I put Google analytics's on last week and a total of 675 views have been made the average time being 3 minutes.

Ask other bloggers and forum members to use it. More they use for their blogging or other needs i'll get popular.

I have been asking some bloggers to do this they have agreed and started using my service, they mainly use twitter which is a good income of trafic.

Well, although I'm not a huge user of url shorteners because I haven't tweeted much recently, I must admit I was very impressed for your site.Not only does it shorten urls, but also has a few more stuff that are great. For example, those tweeter services seem to be quite handy for those who tweet daily.
Also, Lockerz invites! I've just registered the invite you sent me and I'm already earning points...

I am glad you like the site template It took quite a while to get it looking that impressive should we say ;), I am also very glad you have looked at the other services we offer I am currently undergoing maintenance on the service's page to get them up to scratch. Thanks for the fantastic feedback!
About the rest of your suggest I am working on a Flash version of the site to make it more easier to use within browsers etc though I am not sure if I will publish it as I still needs a heck of a lot of work.

Who needs to preplan? that is what makes products like this rather fun and challenging. I put Google analytics's on last week and a total of 675 views have been made the average time being 3 minutes.

not you evidently. if you are happy with small results, just do the first thing comes to mind.

Well come on 675 views which has now gone up in under a week is not bad for a non planed site, I am just wondering on how to take it a step further I doubt it will reach bit.ly etc though I am sure it can be medium or just after that if work is put in though I am really not sure what else I can do to it which is why I post it here to extend the website view & ideas.

Other than bloggers and twitter traffic. You can check if you can embed it with clearspring widget and allow users to use shortURL service with some widget on blogger site. For this you need to code the URL shortner widget or such service on your own. I don't know how it'll work out for you without any money plan and coders. But you can check how bit.ly is doing this with widgets and browser add-ons. Why not create firefox add-on if you can code little bit. i think there is not much of coding there for firefox add-ons in this case only issue is with getting it done cheaply.

I would like to use Twitter and necessarily use shorten url for submission. I always use bit.ly because I trust it. Apart from this, I actually hate shorten url because I cannot judge the contents it contains, maybe it is virsus. Actully I cannot get any useful information from those shorten url if only I read the context carefully.

I would suggest if you wanted to get the site popular is to advertise or promote it on multiple forums/bulletin boards, that is one way. Another way is to tell people on social networking sites or techonology sites and also telling people in real life. You can maybe make partnerships with fellow websites or forum admins that you know of or make avatars and graphics to support the site.

Well yes this is the standard way of advertising I was wondering if there was any more advance ways that would really bring in the traffic though suddenly the hits have gone through the roof and now the bandwidth limit is exceeded though more hits would be awesome!