xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kleong

Flood Control Bahaving Strangely

I have encounter the spam control message when I tried posting. Even thou, it is a few minutes after my last post, I still get the error message. I have tried, logging off as well as closing browser (cache clear as well) but the problem persisted. Thou almost of the time I can post normally, but the frequency of the error happening is quite high.

Hi!

The flood control is managed through server-side code so clearing the browser cache will not help in most cases.

You probably have not been waiting long enough for the flood control to let you post again. As a general rule of thumb, look up the timestamp (date and time) of the last message that you have posted to the discussion forums and wait for about 15 minutes before you try posting again.

I believe moderators and administrators are the only users exempt from the flood control so it doesn't really matter if you are a new user or have been on the forums for a while.

If you have been on Xisto and haven't posted in a while, you probably think that the flood control is 25 seconds like it was a long time ago. See this forum thread for a reference to the 25 second limit:
http://forums.xisto.com/Floodml&hl=flood

However, the flood control limit was later changed to 15 minutes so you've got to have more patience. I know, I know, it is a long time to wait between postings and keeps us from participating in the forums as much as we want to, but then again, it does encourages to type long posts that have a lot of content like the ones that anwii posts - it takes roughly 15 minutes to come up with something that long.

I've faced that problem as well though I ended up closing the browser and coming back rather than wait for 15 min :) I like things to move quick and in those 15 minutes I could have done something else. I guess I never stopped to wonder why I was getting the Board Message even though I had given a gap of more than a minute. I just gave up thinking it's a random error and took a break and everything was back to normal the next time I logged in.

Hi!@The SimpletonAt first, I thought it was a bug in the system because the error message says, "15 seconds," and I was pretty sure that I was waiting for longer than fifteen seconds. I'm not sure if there was an announcement posted to the board to indicate that the flood control interval has been increased because I am on and off the forum so I may have missed any discussion that the administrators or moderators may have posted to indicate the change. If you look at the thread that I linked to in the past, there was a request to reduce the limit, but a twenty five second limit is pretty reasonable - reducing it to 10 seconds doesn't really help much because it takes at least thirty seconds to scroll down to the bottom of the page, type in a response of considerable length and click the submit button. However, a fifteen minute delay is a little excessive. We must have had some really bad spammers for the flood control interval to have been increased to fifteen minutes. I wonder if it would be logical to assume that the older members of Xisto/Trap 17 would be less likely to spam the board and to place them within a separate group to which the flood control interval does not apply.I don't really want to have to do something along the lines of closing my browser to post another message because I usually have a couple of other tabs with pages open that contain stuff that I would like to read before I close the browser windows. Perhaps we could have some sort of a poll for members to indicate if they would be more likely to participate in the forums if the time interval for the flood control were reduced to (a) 2 minutes, (:) 5 minutes, © 10 minutes, (d) 15 minutes. The results of the poll would not be binding on the administrators of the board, but it would get the message across of what people think is reasonable and would help them make any decisions on changing the flood control interval. Folks who compose their messages offline and want to post their messages as soon as they're able to connect would probably not want a flood control because that would mean that they have to return to the forum every so often to be able to post all of the messages that they have written up. I guess logging in as a guest user would help in getting around the flood control, but then we wouldn't get MyCENTs for those posts.